Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend me the best 2.35 tyres for my hardcore hardtail :)
  • pimpmyride
    Free Member

Right then the Kenda blue grooves went back today and I now have a new healthy budget of £60 for some new rubber rollers 🙂

I’m looking at the Maxxis high rollers 2.35 but don’t know wether to get 2.35 dual ply super tacky or 2.35 single ply super tacky, or 60a hard compound, or just to hell with it a get a pair of Nevegals aaaaaaagh! its doing my head in!!
    I will be riding 4-6 hours in the saddle mostly in places like sherwood pines, burnt stump, samson woods and welsh trail centres 2-3 times a year so need to be able to roll fairly well and not kill me on the climbs and be good down fast rocky technical descents roots etc.

Are the double ply high rollers mega heavy and for DH bikes only?
    Sorry for all the questions but its a big decision and I want to get it right 1st time.

Also how do the 2.35 high rollers and nevegals come up in size terms/fat chunkyness? I have syncros DP25 rims so can’t go mega big would these be ok?

Help please 🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m keen on the Rubber Queens (Read that as you will!) at the moment. Light, fast and seem very robust. BIG tyres though.

chvck
    Free Member

Could do supertacky HR up front and hard compound on rear? I ride pretty much solely in wales and run a 2.35 hard compound HR up front and a 2.35 larsen TT on the rear, can get a bit sketchy with that tyre on the rear from time to time though!

Andyhilton
    Free Member

2.4 Mountain Kings?

qwerty
    Free Member

rampage

Filthy
    Free Member

2.4 schwalbe fat alberts here, they come up slightly smaller than 2.35 kendas, grip better and roll much faster

Rex
    Free Member

HR supertacky 2.35 pairs up nicely with a ardent 2.25 on the back (latter is quite big for a 2.25 IME)
    Double plys are over a kilo i think, whilst singles around 0.7kg.

corroded
    Free Member

Second the Fat Alberts – had the snakeskin versions and very pleased with them. Should get them under budget from German online stores.

bigsi
    Free Member

Highroller 60a’s IMHO, grippy, comfy and a good all rounder.

Had supertackys and they are, well, tacky so don’t seem to roll as well and also wear out faster.

davey_clayton
    Free Member

2.4 mountain kings seemed thinner than 2.35 hi-rollers and felt really sketchy cornering. Dual ply hi rollers are good for avoiding pinch flats. Unless you are really concerned about traction I would go for 60a as the ST ones wear out very quickly (on peak district gritstone anyway) and give terrible rolling resistance, but they are very very sticky.

ST front and 60a rear sounds like a good idea. I would go with hi rollers though, they are ace.

lank45
    Free Member

I love high rollers, find them a really nice rolling tyre that corners well. The super tacky does slow you down and stones stick to them and ping up at your frame! Dual ply are heavier but its worth it for the extra protection the thicker sidewalls give alongside being able to run lower pressures.
    To be honest they don’t come up that huge in the width department, I’ve had specialized 2.3 which is bigger and intense 2.35 which seems smaller, and what you lose in a little rolling resistance will only help on the downs and on your legs whichever tyre you go for.

iamtheresurrection

High Rollers are on my list to try, but I’m really liking my Rubber Queens on 2.2

BluePalomino
    Free Member

Halo Knobblers?

househusband

I’m with CaptainFlashheart; 2.2″ Conti Rubber Queens – a very confidence inspiring tyre. They do come up big; the 2.2’s will be WAY bigger than, say, a Maxxis 2.35″ High Roller.

will
    Free Member

What i would do is as your ride around the pines and surrounding woods, then wales 2/3 times a year is… get some 2.1s or something similar for the woods, then when in wales, get a cheap pair of steel high rollers for Wales.

Some of these would be good, then for the hardcore duties the high rollers.

Having ridden with 2.35″ around the pines and blidworth i’ll be the first to say there not “That” quick (Maxxis Ignitors)

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Thanks guys, just bought some brand new dual ply 60a high rollers for £35 posted 🙂
    I think they will be perfect for me as they have good rolling rate, nice and grippy, and dual ply to stop pinch flats 🙂

Thanks everyone.

househusband

LOL – don’t the dual ply Maxxis tyres weigh over a kilo each? Think you may be wanting the single ply…

carlphillips
    Free Member

2nd that, ive single ply on my trail bike and dual on my DH bike, wouldn’t dream of dual on my trail bike or anything that i’d have to actually pedal for more than 10 mins!!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me the best 2.35 tyres for my hardcore hardtail :)’ is closed to new replies.