Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recommend me some tools
  • GolfChick
    Free Member

Okay so following the break up we’ve now sorted through our tools and I’ve identified some that Im now short off so after some recommendations for a set of pliers and cable cutters. Id rather something decent than set of pliers that seizes or bends over time like my current set have or a cheap set of cable cutters like the set I have as part of an existing cased bike toolset.

Also those people with star fangled nut tools how often have you actually used them?! I have headset press and headset remover and bottom bracket remover and have used them a fair few times but wonder if I’d use one at all.

nedrapier

people with star fangled nut tools how often have you actually used them?!

A handful. But each time has been a delightful pleasure. spin, slot, slot, thwack, spin. rather than considerably longer tapping and correcting.

Also means you can spend less time making the cut end of the steerer square and clean too.

For the £8 I spent, I’d get another if this one went missing. But probably not until I needed one.

nedrapier

I think my outer cable cutters are Icetoolz and they’ve been fine. boggo wire& inner cable cutters are Draper (as are a couple of pairs of pliers) also been fine, bought cheap from Dyas’s Krazy Klearance Korner.

mudsoul
    Free Member

people with star fangled nut tools how often have you actually used them?!

I agree with nedrapier, it’s a cheap tool that’s worth having. I change bikes/forks often enough to get my money’s worth out of one 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Quite a big discount on tools at the moment over at superstar components if you’re stocking up. Usually pretty stuff if you can’t stretch to Park 🙂

kayla1
    Free Member

Star fangled nut tools are ace. I’ve used mine three or four times in the last year and the £8 or so it cost was well worth it. As above- spin, slot, slot, PONK, spin, done. Chainring bolt tools are handy dandy too, and decent quality Torx keys/bits.

z1ppy

Shimano cable cutters FTW (or pedro’s if your feeling flush).
    I’d normally buy a good “brand” (teng or something?) set of pliers, but try halford’s professional range, as they carry a life time warranty.

nedrapier

Just another note on the SFN tool: I don’t think you should turn down a tool for which lusty violence with a hammer is the correct technique for proper use.

MrNice
    Free Member

7 posts in and no double entendres – good work STWers! It won’t last once Hora finds the thread, mind.

kayak23

I have the Superstar cable cutters and torque wrench. Both are fine.

Star fangled nut tool? A socket, a hammer and a little finesse is all you need.

TheBrick
    Free Member

For cable cutters look outside bike brands. I have some ck ones that are good.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

OP, if you’re interested, I am now selling off all my tools, as I’m no longer doing any cycling. Got a lot of stuff, as I used to do most of my own maintenance.

If you like, send me an email and I’ll send you a list and some photos. I just haven’t got around to putting them all up on the classifieds yet, but you can have first dibs if you like.

My email address is in my profile.

Cheers

benji
    Free Member

Don’t fit star fangled nuts when there is so many good expanding wedge designs out there, so a good Allen key does me nicely.

hora
    Free Member

I just wondered, can I put my massive tool in your box?

Tbh I buy my tools as I need them. Halfords psa on here somewhere too

antigee

I’ve found a headset cup removal tool pretty handy….and yes you hit it hard with a hammer so that is good yah

think mine is a lifeline one – not used any others so can’t compare

starrman82
    Free Member

+1 for Pedros, had mine ages & still work like new.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some tools’ is closed to new replies.