Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Recommend me some rubber
  • aldo56
    Free Member

I know, I know; another one! Recommend me a front tyre please:

My faithful old 27.5 x 2.35, snakeskin Mary finally gave up the ghost after a long service.

I was looking for a direct replacement but the new SUPER stuff from Schwalbe all seems much heavier than my old 900g Mary – the 2.4” super trail coming in at 1140g…

I rarely slash or damage tyres so I’m not sure adding this extra weight is worth it.

I mostly ride steep, wet, rooty in the woods type type stuff (Aberfoyle, Campsie Glen, Balquidder) and some faster open moorland mixed with rock (Old Kilpatrick). Trail centres and mountain days also make appearances but less common (Comrie, The Cobbler etc)

The new tyre will be going on the front of a 140mm Nicolai which has a 2.3 DHR2 exo on the back. No issues with the rear tyre at all.

Rims are a distinctly old school Hope Tech enduro coming in at 23mm internal width. Maxxis seem to be trying to put me off one of their 2.5” tyres due to that internal width but I fancy something a bit wider than their 2.3 if possible.

ogden
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a 2.4 Big Betty in Super Trail and it weighs 1300g! It was for an ebike so I’m not too worried about it on there. For my AM9 I run maxxis assegai front and DHR II rear.

joebristol

I’d try and pick up one of the old snakeskin ones if anywhere has one in stock. The new ones do seem very heavy and I’ve never had a problem with the Mary in snakeskin/ addix soft.

If you can’t find one have a look for a Specialized Hillbilly – it’s quite similar to the Magic Mary – if anything it’s perhaps a touch more wet weather orientated. I’ve run a 2.6 on a 30mm internal rim, but prefer my 2.35 Magic Mary on the same rim as marginally better as an all rounder.

Edit – to add most of the year I run a 2.5 DHF WT Exo 3c tyre. Run it on both 25mm and 30mm internal rims. Can’t say I’ve noticed a huge difference in the way it grips / rolls from one width to another.

It’s a decent all weather option – I’d say it leans more towards trail centre hardpack and drier weather as opposed to the Mary which leans towards softer conditions. Both work ok as allrounders though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    duncancallum

I’m a fan of the wild enduro the front specifically is excellent.

aldo56
    Free Member

In reply to ogden:

They do seem a bit portly now!

I think the assegai is only available in 2.5WT unfortunately. Not sure that would play nicely with my 23mm rims.

aldo56
    Free Member

In reply to duncancallum:

They look promising! A good bit lighter than some of the others.

What compound do do you recommend?

gavstorie
    Free Member

I have a super trail big betty 2.4 27.5 and its just under 1kg

kula72
    Free Member

I’m on Bonty XR4 2.4’s (in 29er) on 25mm ID rims. 780gms, roll well, grip well, plenty volume. Not done proper mud yet but great everywhere else.

bikerevivesheffield

I’m waiting for some Hutchinson Griffus 2.5s to be arrive tomorrow

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some rubber’ is closed to new replies.