Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Recommend me some road wheels
  • Recycler
    Free Member

Hello everyone

I’m looking to get a wheelset for my new roadbike (Scott CR1 Pro)with 105 groupset.

Any recommendations for a budget of £320 maybe aimed at the heavier rider

Considering Mavic Cosmic Elites, but would appreciate any knowledge that’s out there.

Many thanks

gifferkev

Funnily enough i’ve just built up the same and was considering putting these on, easton ea90 rt might be pushing the budget, but look a bargain. Tell me they’re no good so I don’t have to buy them

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What are your goals?

jam-bo

What are your goals?

Spending £320

Recycler
    Free Member

Goals?
    I have a budget of £320 and would obviously like the moon on a stick – strong, light, fast, cheap etc.

Whatever is best bang for my buck really, but strength will be important as I’m 100 kgs

DavidBelstein
    Free Member

What are the current wheels?

routier
    Free Member

Shimano RS80s http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/wheels/road-wheels/factory-road-wheels/shimano-rs80-carbon-laminate-wheels-pair.html

Bang on budget, light, stiff, reliable… I’ve not ridden them but I’ve had the wheelsets either side and you can’t fault Shimano.

messiah
    Free Member

Discuss with Wheelsmith

pacef8
    Free Member

Hope pro 3 mono on mavic open pro/sapin cx spokes , either direct from hope or search for an offer.

Bomb proof and louder than a hornets nest.

Fantastic british quality

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Novatech/Sokin/MrRide hubs, stans alpha rims and your choice of comp or rev spokes, under budget, tubeless, rebuildable, and with enough change to buy some Ti KCNC skewers.

I’m 95kg and so far they’ve been good for me.

Only -ve is the rim wear indicator is pretty shallow. Not a worry if you just use them on dry days, but apparently they can go quite quickly in winter.

Vortexracing

Discuss with Wheelsmith

that’s exactly what I’m doing when he is open tomorrow 😆

and this linky works

http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/

jonba
    Free Member

How heavy are you? What kind of riding do you do. I’d look at some handbuilts if you think you’ll be hard on the wheels but otherwise I really rate my RS80. They are round, go round and don’t weigh much.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Not really any point in getting light weight wheels if you weigh 100kg.

Get some that are stiff and strong and long lasting.

Hope hubs, 32 spokes, archetype or velocity rims. These might be over budget, if so, get some cheaper hubs like Ambrosio or similar.

sputnik
    Free Member

Have a look at Campagnolo Zonda wheels, I don’t see them recommended enough on here.
    Stiff , light and fast rolling wheelset , mate of mine has a pair of Zondas and they are very very nice.
    I rock a pair of handbuilds ( DT Swiss 240s hubs/Mavic CXP33 rims /DT Revolution spokes) and will gladly have a pair of Zondas.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some road wheels’ is closed to new replies.