Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommend me some road routes in the lakes
  • dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Going to the lakes for a “training camp” for the Fred Whitton. Other than riding the course, we’d like to get some miles in the legs whilst we are there. Can anyone recommend any good routes or climbs that aren’t covered by the fred? Think we’ll be based in Keswick, but will have a car so can drive to get to other areas of the lakes.

Thanks in advance
    Claire.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

wrong forum, wrong place, possibly wrong planet :o)

andym
    Free Member

Why is it the wrong forum?

As my Mum used to say ‘if you can’t say anything helpful then don’t say anything’.

aP
    Free Member

Keswick – Grange – Borrowdale – Honister Pass – Whinlatter Pass – Keswick

Just look at the map, choose roads that don’t start with an A and piece together loops or out and backs over passes.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

As my Mum used to say ‘if you can’t say anything helpful then don’t say anything’.

some of us are not always interested in ‘helping’ and had mums who were willing to tease us…

andym
    Free Member

some of us are not always interested in ‘helping’ and had mums who were willing to tease us…

If you’re not interested in being helpful (inverted commas or not) then why post at all?

I wonder what the explanation is for the rampant attention-seeking.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I wonder what the explanation is for the rampant attention-seeking.

I was pointing out this site is nominally dedicated to MTB. I’m not sure why me teasing Clare is more ‘attention seeking’ than you telling me not to. FYI if people only spoke when being helpful much of human intercourse would be absent.

TomB

Road loop of back o’ skiddaw- Keswick-Bassenthwaite- Uldale- Hesket Newmarket (pint of Doris)- Greystoke or Mungrisdale- Keswick via Castlerigg stone circle. Add/Subtract bits for distance, keeps you off the FW route too. Otherwise obvious bits of FW, or over Dunmail raise to Ambleside and either back over Kirkstone (currently closed), or out to Langdales and back road back to Grasmere etc.
    Ask in the Lakeland Pedlar roadie shop above the cafe of same name in Keswick for other ideas.

fullbouncebill
    Free Member

Me,Me I will be helpfull! 😆

Starting from Keswick you need a nice well surfaced warmup, I would head out towards Bassenthwaite village on the A591 turning right at the Castle Inn,Stay on this road heading towards Uldale using the exellent climb onto Green how. Stay on this road to Caldbeck,Cafe/shop, turning right for Hesket Newmarket,Wood Hall,Low Row,High Row,Mosedale,Mungrisdale,A66.

You could return via the a66,to Keswick or head onto the A5091 via Dockray,Park brow,Glenridding,Kirkstone,decend via the struggle to Ambleside,North to Grasmere Dunmail Raise, Keswick.

The very best of luck from me on the fred whitton,possibly one of the toughest races in the world!

😉

crazy-legs

I’d base yourself much further South – Kendal or similar. You get far more quiet road options plus the ability to head out into Yorkshire or Lancashire. Road riding in/around Keswick tends to mean you end up on either the A66 or the A591 (over Dunmail Raise).
    Will email some routes over in a bit.

kevonakona
    Free Member

http://www.bikely.com(sure its com). has loads of routes

grumm
    Free Member

I would quite like some ideas for road routes in S lakes – though it would feel a bit dirty getting in my car and driving to the lakes to go road biking instead of mountain biking.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

thanks for the suggestions. will have a look on the map to see what bits i can link up and where the suggestions are.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think the trouble is the nicest roads are all dead ends so don’t link up 🙁
    Nice because scenic and lacking traffic.

boxelder

Doing the Lakeland Loop or christmas cracker courses (epicevents) would be good prep and includes a couple of climbs not covered on the Whitton.

Deffo round the back of Skiddaw as mentioned above.
    Heading east you could take in Hartside up to Alston or do some riding round the Eden Valley (Armathwaite, Kirkoswald etc)

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

dirtygirlonabike – Member
    “Going to the lakes for a “training camp” for the Fred Whitton. Other than riding the course, we’d like to get some miles in the legs whilst we are there. Can anyone recommend any good routes or climbs that aren’t covered by the fred? Think we’ll be based in Keswick, but will have a car so can drive to get to other areas of the lakes.

Thanks in advance
    Claire

Ive done this “ride”. You need to do some 5 hour + very lumpy road rides to be able to “enjoy” the Fred Whitton. I highly recommend you start at maybe 60 miles in the route and do the last 50 or so miles a few times, the last 10 miles are tough and you we realise what gearing you need. I did it on a 39 x 25 and struggled over the last two steep passes. 😳 Good luck (hope your fit) and any questions please ask. Jason

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

kingkongsfinger, i rode the route for “fun” in september i think. i enjoyed it though hardknott really hurt and i had to stop twice due to not being able to turn the pedals going round two really steep hairpins, but got back on at the other side of the hairpin.

i’m not sure i want to do the last 50miles a few times – ouch!! am hoping to do a few long weekends/weeks in the lakes to give me decent training for it so i can enjoy it.

what time did you do it in last year?

crazy-legs

Times last year were really fast (new course record of about 5.5hours!), conditions were perfect!
    There’s a Sportive in April called The Lakeland Loop which is a sort of “Fred Whitton-lite”, it’s about 75 miles and does the last half of the route, that might be worth doing as practice for the main event.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Dirtygirl, I did it three years ago, half way road it hailstoned that hard i had to take shelter as it was hurting my forearms and neck (and im not a puff!!)Did it in just over 6 1/2 hours, but stopped a few times for some cakes! Ended up doing through and off with a group of riders for about half an hour which made uo for the stops. People say its not a race but you race everyone you come across, it just cant be helped. 8) Anothe go ride is the Wild Wales Challenge, not as tough but i enjoyed that one better as I was pinging 8)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some road routes in the lakes’ is closed to new replies.