Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Recommend me some photochromic glasses for the road bike
  • monkeyfudger
    Free Member

As title, after some photochromic glasses for road riding. They’ll only be used on the road so 75%-15% light transmission will probably be about right?? I had some DHB ones previously and although the light transmission was about right they were distort tastic, made the bars feel waaaay further away!

Looking to spend about £100 in a similar style to below which should hopefully suit my bulb head…

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-photochromatic-half-frame-sunglasses/

Cheers!

Superficial
    Free Member

Controversially, I’m not sure I like my photochromic oakleys (racing jackets). They’re the photochromic ones that supposedly allow plenty of light through in some conditions, but even when it’s grey and overcast they seem to block quite a lot of light. I’m sure if it’s pitch black they’ll allow more light through, but that’s hardly the point. Plus, I don’t like the “sunglasses on an overcast day” look.

I’m thinking about replacing them with clear lenses and just manually swapping the lenses on bright days.

I’m also well aware that I’m in the minority here. I’m a recent convert to wearing any glasses at all for riding so that might have something to do with it as well.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Yeah I don’t really bother so much through the winter as I’m mainly riding on my own and a cap keeps most of the rain out, recent group ride has confirmed I need some again though, to much shite getting flicked up! Def preferred my last photochromics to normal lense swap style glasses.

smatkins1
    Free Member

I’ve got some Oakley Photochromic racing jackets and I’m very pleased with them.

I tried lots of cheaper reaction lenses sunglasses including not practically cheap ones by Endura and Julbo and was very disappointed with them. Their range of change was always pretty poor and/or they slightly distorted my vision. After trying all these different glasses I decided I could have just bought some Oakley’s after what I’d spent on these.

My Oakley’s do a great job of reacting to changes in light and I always ride them when cycling in the day time.

Although they look virtually clear in very low light I didn’t like riding with them at night. I found it difficult to pick up the detail on stuff like rocks and roots when wearing them. I got some clear lenses at the same time when I bought them so I use these for night riding (or no glasses at all).

jimjam
    Free Member

You may or may not find this helpful but I’d far rather have two or three lenses that do something well as opposed to photochromic which do nothing well.

http://www.evo.com/oakley-sunglasses-lens-tint-guide.aspx

Persimmon or G30 or Bronze. Or whatever your preference really. I sold Oakleys for five or six years and never really saw the point of photochromic.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Try Endura & save yourself £50+..

onewheelgood

I’m happy with my Rudy Project Rydons with photochromic lenses. If you don’t like them you can always swap them for clear, amber, mirrored or whatever takes your fancy.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some photochromic glasses for the road bike’ is closed to new replies.