Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • recommend me some informative pod casts (13hrs on the train in prospect)
  • maccruiskeen

Got a lot of train travel is prospect tomorrow and saturday. Looking for something refreshing to listen to. Music is fine up to a point, but recently I’ve quite enjoyed informative talky podcasts. Tim Harford’s ‘More or Less’ is a particular favorite, Freakonomic radio to a similar extent, although something about it reminds me of Sesame Street.

So any recommendations for my Edumacational Infotainment?

Rio

If you like “More or Less” then you might also want to try “The Bottom Line”, which is Evan Davis’s economics podcast. Also try “Material World” on environmental issues etc, it’s not too preachy so quite good to listen to. Then there’s always R4’s Friday Night Comedy Podcast. And if you’re really bored, try “In Our Time” – very worthy but something it’s easy to get distracted from.

higthepig
    Free Member

The Bikeshow podcast from Resonance FM
    Desert Island Discs from Radio 4
    Daily Bacon from Radio 5
    Rhod Gilbert from BBC Radio Wales
    Friday Night Comedy from Radio 4
    The Infinite Monkey Cage from Radio 4

maccruiskeen

Always thought “The Bottom Line” quite an appropriate title for a programme by Evan ‘Twinkle Tits’ Davis. Turns out its not that sort of programme at all. 🙂

nobtwidler
    Free Member

Car Talk
    US Radio Show about fixing cars can be informative and funny

wooobob

Thinking Aloud/Allowed is good.
    Loads of other bbc ones, including some shorts (Life Stories?) from David Attenborough. History of the World in 100 Objects.

I like Dan Carlin, Hardcore History is good, and sometimes the other one (Common Sense).

FT’s Lucy Kellaway and Martin Wolf.

Velo Club Don Logan is great, and also Real Peloton (although Rendell and Boulting are doing TdF at the mo).

joolsburger
    Free Member

I like the TED talks.

edd

Above and Beyond – Trance Around The World – a free weekly podcast with 2 hours of trance.

Radio Four – Friday Night Comedy Podcast – does what it says on the tin

maccruiskeen

History of the World in 100 Objects.

Ah, now thats something that completely passed me by when it was on, good call.

By sunday I’m going to so edumacated!

I’m off out to a meeting, but keep them coming, I see an evening of downloading in prospect

bent_udder
    Free Member

In Our Time – always pretty good. Midweek (if available as a podcast – it’ll be on the R4 site) can be pretty informative, too.

ITV seem to be doing Tour podcasts, but I’ve not had time to listen to them.

IA
    grum
    Free Member

Skeptics guide to the Universe
    Stuff you should know

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

History of the World in 100 Objects.

+1

Really recommend this. It’s superb.

Also, for giggles, I’m Sorry I Haven’t Got A Clue (I listen to it via iPlayer, I’m sure there’ll be a podcast of it though).

maccruiskeen

Ta v much everybody.

footflaps

Rio – that’s my top podcast list as well – we must be twins 😉

chalkntrees
    Free Member

The Dirtbag Diaries is excellent in my opinion.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘recommend me some informative pod casts (13hrs on the train in prospect)’ is closed to new replies.