Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Recommend me some hubs
  • robhughes
    Free Member

Building up a pair of flows and i’m still pondering whether to go for pro 2’s
    Would like to try something different as have hope’s on a few wheel sets.
    Must be able to take 10mm rear and 20mm front.32 hole,bombproof and not going to break the bank.
    Cheers all

jimw
    Free Member

DT Swiss 350 ?

toys19
    Free Member

Get a pair of superstar switch hubs. Never failed me.
    superstar linky

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    porter_jamie

i’d stick with pro2 evos because then everything in your fleet is compatible. thats how it seems to have worked out with me – at least 3 sets the same, and the majority of the people we ride with too so you know you can probably make do in an emergency.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 Hope. Not bullet proof but easily serviceable.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

DT any day over Hope for that quiter more refined freehub sound

robhughes
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Have been debating the dt’s.
    Isn’t there an ebay guy who does them cheap.

Found him..

andylc
    Free Member

Dt 350’s are not that expensive, have the same internals as the 240’s but are just slightly heavier. Mine have been faultless so far.

downhilldave

Have a look here, they sell on Ebay as well. Cheapest I can find but who knows.

http://www.bikestacja.pl/en/bicycle-parts/mtb/hubs.html?producent=7256

robhughes
    Free Member

andylc.
    Was looking at the 350’s off the polish guy have the really got the same internals.

downhilldave

Yeh,same internals. Am looking at some Dt 350 S/pull hubs. Only 42g heavier than S/pull 240S

robhughes
    Free Member

looking at couple of threads on here they look a bit of a faf service wise.
    Iv’e got a lot of tools bike and non bike related but seems i need some scaffolding bar off one of our jobs.. 😀

granny_ring

Think that that guy only had 28H DT350 hubs?

robhughes
    Free Member

Yer i could’t find them in his shop granny_ring.

Northwind

Just make sure you get a 20mm compatible- some DT fronts only do 15 and QR. They outclass Hope tbh, Hope can be good value though. Mine are all 240S but as above they’re the same as the 350 where it really counts, I’m just a tart.

(the servicing faff is only for the centremost bearing, which needs changed very rarely- the rest are changed just like a pro 2 but the better sealing means that’s less frequent. So yes a full service can be a bollocks but over the life of the wheel it’s way less than Hope. IME you get about 2/3 times the life out of a bearing in a DT rear hub.)

Another option is to find a set of cheap used wheels and use them as donors- with 26mageddon I’ve picked up 2 sets of wheels with DT240 hubs for less than the hubs alone are worth. Kind of odd, but I don’t complain.

robhughes
    Free Member

Cheers for that NW.Iv’e read you posts about servicing them and am i right it’s just the removal of the ring nut that can cause a problem.Will keep my eyes peeled for some donor wheels.That’s if you don’t get there first. 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Removing the ring drive is no problem. You just need a tool to do it.
    That said, IME, DT bearings last a LOT longer then Hope(less) ones do (they’re bigger) and my 240s rear hub is still on its original ‘under ring drive’ bearing after 6 years.

legend
    Free Member

I should have some Pro 2s for sale at the end of the week if you’re interested. Bearings around 6 weeks old, pawls in the freehub have 2 rides on them, currently setup for 15mm front (should have 20mm adapters too) and 135x12mm rear. Usual chew marks on the freehub but otherwise grand!

hora
    Free Member

Treat yourself to a king rear, Hope front (same colour)

I did that for years. Who the **** notices? Front is a unsung hero/noddy thing anyway.

bigjim

DT 350, once you go DT there’s no going back. Love the quiet rear.

robhughes
    Free Member

once you go DT there’s no going back

Haha.Think im already sold.

Tracey

We recently bought some DT Swiss wheels from the Polish guy on Ebay. First class service and a very cheap price.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

once you go DT there’s no going back

So far I’d agree. Stupidly reliable if rather pricey. I got my front free with some forks from Merlin a few years ago, my rear cost £70 off the classifies here. A pair of 240s for £70…? I’m not complaining! 🙂

orangeboy
    Free Member

I got a new Dt 240 rear from Poland and it has a very poor Finnish compared to the other ones I have and the sticker in the middle does not look great. But It was very cheap and works fine

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some hubs’ is closed to new replies.