Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Recommend me some holiday cottages Devon way…
  • gravitysucks
    Free Member

Just pondering whether to head to Brittany for a weeks holiday start of June or stay in merry England and hit the south coast.

Would be about £1k for flights and accommodation to stay in Brittany so something in the £600 – £1k would be fine and would hopefully work out a bit cheaper whilst allowing us take take the bikes as well.

Never been to the south coast so its all new ground to me. Any areas to good to miss?

Would be two adults, 5 year old, 7 year old and a dog….

brassneck

I’ve stayed here and had a nice time..

Friendly but not intrusive owners, nice beaches nearby (Bigbury, Mothecombe when ope, the closest Wonwell is OK but Mothecombe across the river is better).
    Cycling not great from the door, lots of very narrow lanes, wouldn’t risk it with my kids, but Dartmoor is not far, and Haldon Forest (Exeter) doable depending on how keen the family are (it’s about a 45 minute drive).
    Pub was good last time I went too, a great summer evening place (The Dolphin).

Though if I could do Brittany by flying for a grand I think I might do that for a change, so post your other option 🙂

willard

We stayed here last year. Working farm, dog friendly, near a superb beach and some good running nearby.

http://www.cottage-choice.co.uk/farm-and-cottage/Great-Torrington-North-Devon-sleeps-4-bedrooms-2-dd.asp

Cletus

I have used this company for accommodation in the West Country and have always found the properties to be as described and the organisation excellent.

http://www.helpfulholidays.com/

coolhandluke
    Free Member

+1 for helpful holidays, sprocket jockey on here knows them well, see if he can offer any help.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

My ears were burning 😀

We’ve got plenty of dog friendly cottages on the books. Out of office today but let me know a bit more about what you’re after in terms of dates and location (eg coast or country….in a village or remote…riding from the door?) and will take a look.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Coast & Country Cottages in Salcombe come highly recommended.

bentudder

Two bed flat in Dartmouth – sleeps four in a double and a twin room. View is *amazing* through more than 180 degrees, from the Naval College to the mouth of the river and the castle. Not hugely suitable for babies or toddlers due to the steep staircase up to the bedrooms and bathroom.

CountZero

Just for bent udder:

It is, indeed, a great view across the harbour, although this is in Dartmouth itself, I never got around to the Naval College.

nevisthecat
    Free Member

Coastguard’s Cottage in Newton Ferrers. Should find it on Owners’ Direct.

Stunning 18th century cottage overlooking the estuary and a very friendly owner who will meet you there and explain that yes, you do have to row across the river to get to it. There is a bridleway network on the headland to the rear and some great walks and fishing from the door.

However, it is well worth it and comedy gold rowing up to the pub in the evening and even funnier rowing back……..

qwerty
    Free Member

Search the South Devon, South Hams area for.a.remote place its a really nice area.

Shhhhh…
    http://www.toadhallcottages.co.uk/holiday-cottages/1-ivy-cove/1285/

http://www.toadhallcottages.co.uk/holiday-cottages/2-ivy-cove/237/

bentudder

CountZero – thanks! Got to love a bit of Lower Ferry action.
    This is what the same view looks like from the flat, by the way:

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

However, it is well worth it and comedy gold rowing up to the pub in the evening and even funnier rowing back……..

Ahhhh yes, happy days of coming back from the pub slightly pished! Used to take the Dory up the estuary to South Pool (Salcombe) to the Millbrook. There was always a bit of a rush back to the boats as the tide started to go, it’s a long way up the estuary there!

Gunning back down, with the outgoing tide, and only a torch to guide us was always fun!

Did the same on the Helford a couple of years ago, just as a storm rode in. Only just made it inside in time!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some holiday cottages Devon way…’ is closed to new replies.