Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Recommend me some gear cables
  • honeybadgerx

Finally getting round to building a frame up and some recommendations for gear cables and outers. It’s a Mojo SL-R so full length outers for front and rear. I had thought about the Gore one’s but I’ve heard mixed reviews with regards to durability.

Advice appreciated.

honeybadgerx

Attention seeking bump. Here’s a photo of a cute puppy to reward you for looking:

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

XTR is all you need. Tried them all and back with XTR. Just buy extra gear outer if you want the full length.

superfli
    Free Member

I use Clarks premium from Halfords
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_186667_langId_-1_categoryId_165455

Buy it with some extra cable ends to save £1?! Odd, but its cheaper!

Northwind

I use XTR… The full kits are decent value but the cables come irritatingly pre-cut, which is annoying- if you’re doing full cable runs or a funny shaped bike, you end up having to buy extra.

I’m cheap so I just transfer the sealing ends when I replace bikes, get extra outer off the roll if needed, and fit cheapo clarks stainless inners.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

some come in 1 length

andypandy85
    Free Member

The Clarks prelubed kits from CRC are spot on, come with loads of cable ends and dirt sleeves etc, look pimp in the carbon finish too 😉

IanW
    Free Member

2nd those Clarke’s XTR a likes from Halfords. As good as if not better than XTR but £10 for everything.

hilldodger
    Free Member

I’m using full length Goodridge into their third year, not cheap but have been totally maintenance free after the initial tweaking. Outers are a bit rigid so if you have any tight turns they may not suit.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

On the subject of cable outers are they all created equal as I find they get hard brittle, is there an outer that is more softer and flexible, the reason I ask is because my cable outer attached to my dropper post always gets kinked no matter how I route it. (Sorry for slight hijack)

superfli
    Free Member

Be wary of keeping your maintenance free/smooth running cables on for too long. I have had the inners snap in the past as although kept nice and lubed with middleburn oilers, the metal became fatigued. Something I’d not bargained on, so replace every year now whatever the condition (only £10 anyway!)

deadkenny
    Free Member

Sp41 stuff for outers (buy a reel of it and cut add needed, cheaper long term).

Stainless steel inners. Any. Cheap.

Forget pre-lubed, pre-stretched, and any fancy stuff. Sp41 is lubed inside and it’s full outer anyway, and you can lube and a stretch yourself for a fraction of the cost.

End caps, got a tub of them dead cheap that will last me forever. 500 in the tub! Think it was the same price assome shops will charge for just a few.

Also get loads of ferrules as you go through those when replacing cables. I find they break over time anyway.

bigyinn
    Free Member

SP41 outers with sealed endcap and rubber grommets.
    Shimano PTFE coated inners.
    Middleburn cabel oilers are a good idea if going full length outers.
    Use a dry teflon lube for the cable + outer.

honeybadgerx

Cheers folks, goes to show you can get whatever you want in life by using your puppy.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some gear cables’ is closed to new replies.