Recommend me some full length mudguards

Home Forum Bike Forum Recommend me some full length mudguards

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Recommend me some full length mudguards
  • Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

sks last a fair few years.

Yep, I’d be tempted to chuck on some SKS Chromoplastics. I’m thinking possible the black ones.

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

That’s one lovely looking bike. 🙂

And SKS Raceblade Longs look good. Had SKS Chromoplastics before & they are spot on.

Premier Icon Teetosugars
    Subscriber

Aye, SKS… Got some on my Vaya. Spotty dog IMHO.

dvatcmark

I had the same debate for my cross bike, came down to two choices sks chrome plastics or sks longboards. I chose the longboards in the end simply for the improved front protection.

I’m looking for some full length mudguards for my commuter. The bike is a Jamis Nova Sport with BB7 callipers and it’s running 700c x 35 tyres…

Suggestions welcome. It has all the frame mounts needed by the way.

Premier Icon ir_bandito
    Subscriber

SKs Chromoplastics.
    And space/bend the stays around the brake callipers:

DSC_0695 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

avdave2

ir-bandito did you use any particular tools or a vice to hold and bend the stays. I’ve got some to fit to my Croix de Fer this weekend which will need the same thing doing to them.

JRTG

Sks bluemethals, they are full length with nice flaps front and rear (snigger) and are matt black 🙂

Premier Icon ir_bandito
    Subscriber

avdave – I used a bench vice, and bent them around a large screwdriver shaft to make sure the bend was nice and round. Very satisfying job. Might have to do it again now I’ve established SKS make a black version.

Premier Icon gofasterstripes
    Subscriber

ir_bandito – I am impressed with your combination of lightweight discs and the heaviest brake calipers invented by man himself.

Do those shimano things work well on that disc? I swapped the ones that came on my Centrum for MX4’s which are not much lighter, but tend to stop me!

Standard answer 🙂 SKS every time, they’re the best. Either the chromoplasts, longboards, or bluemels, all are good.

A bit fiddly to fit nice and tight to the tyres, especially if you want to trim the stays, but once done can be completely forgotten about.

AFAIK longboards are chromoplasts with an exceptionally long front guard, which is a nice-to-have.

Premier Icon ir_bandito
    Subscriber

the heaviest brake calipers invented by man himself.

🙂
    Bike was built on a budget. Rotors came up in the classifieds here so I snapped them up. I was after some R515s/CX75s, but they’re pricey. I’ve used R505s before on another bike and I was happy with the performance. I picked up this pair for £17!!! At that price, I’m happy enough with a few more grammes.

Do those shimano things work well on that disc?

Yes. Never, ever had a problem. Bike was built to train for, and ride, the LEL. Many wet training rides in the North Pennines and Scottish Borders and a fair bit of grim weather on the event itself and the brakes were flawless.

avdave2

Thanks ir-bandito I shall use the same method and hope to make as nice a job of it.

Thanks all. Went with longboards in the end, just need to get used to the increased toe overlap now. Pics to follow.

Gary_M

Good choice, I fitted longboards to my cx commuter and they’re very, very good.

And here it is looking very commutery…

jackthedog

Nice job, looks good.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

Is it just me or does that front guard take “full length” to another level? Looks like it’s wearing flares!

Its a whole new level of long, that’s for sure.

Does work to keep your toes dry though.

lovewookie

The SKS commuters are a bit crap. well, they’re ok if you’re riding smooth stuff, but anything jittery and they’re a bit wobbly. I had the rear fold up on my tyre after hitting a couple of shallow potholes.

Gary_M

Is it just me or does that front guard take “full length” to another level? Looks like it’s wearing flares!

Yes, that’s the whole point. They’re called longboards and they’re fantastic.

Premier Icon kcal
    Subscriber

A friend had them (longboards, I suspect) fitted to her new bike.

Not sure what tyres she was running but the combination of full full length ‘guards and her tyres made the clearance to ground very small – I’d have been concerned about something like a placcy bag getting wedged between tyre and guard myself..

avdave2

If it was wet enough and you went fast enough I reckon you could push the water right round that front guard and spray water over anyone who had the temerity to overtake you on your commute.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some full length mudguards’ is closed to new replies.