Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Recommend me some fast rolling Down Hill tyres
  • I’ve already asked this question here, but I guess down hillers ignore tandem threads.

What I’m after is something fast rolling, like a Kenda Small Block 8 or Specialized Fast trak, but strong like a DH tyre.

Bontrager XR4 TLR sounds the best bet from the other thread and gets good reviews here
    Limited availability though, Leisure Lakes are the only major on line shop to stock them, and they are not really a DH tyre.

So, what fast rolling tyres for a fully rigid bike with a 170kg rider ?

jam-bo

maxxis bling bling.

sambob
    Free Member

High Roller Semi Slick?

bradley
    Free Member

I’ve got XR4s on my full susser and they’re awesome.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How about normal minions or high rollers? DH tyres tend not to be ‘fast rolling’ as they never need to be (compared to an XC tyre) so you won’t find much better than what you’d think of as and ‘average’ XC tread. Have you tried something more trail like Purgatory/Eskar/HasnDampf run tubeless?

I’ve had HR semi slick in the past, good tyre for dry trails, but only available in single ply (AFAIK).

scruff
    Free Member

Minion Rears maybe?

vinnyeh

Maybe consider Maxxis tyres with the Exo compound instead of dual play?
    Costs more, but is a lot lighter than dual play and I’ve not had any problems with sidewall wear or punctures, and both my mtb’s now use them.
    Something like an Ardent 2.25 might be big enough, or a DHF 60a if you’re having grip problems.

I

andeh

You can get Larson TTs in a downhill carcass, any good? I like mine (though it’s normal carcass).

Tom-B
    Free Member

Conti verts

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You can get Larson TTs in a downhill carcass, any good? I like mine (though it’s normal carcass).

You can indeed, I’ve some part worn supertacky dual ply ones if anyone wants them, pointless for normal trail riding (mases of grip from the compound, nadda from the tread) but maybe they’d work on a tandem.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Conti verts

Sadly only produced in wire bead with crapola rubber these days.

The old BC Vert is/was rather nice.

james
    Free Member

“Maxxis tyres with the Exo compound instead of dual play?
    Costs more,”

If Exo would do it, then the (maxxis made?) Eckso on-one ones for less ££ might be worth a look if you’re stuggling. Not exactly semi-slick’s though

Not really sure how reinforced they are but Michelin Dry2 in 2.3″ (the 2.15″ come up as big as a 2.25/2.5″ maxxis) have reinforeced walls as standard? They might be called Wild Race’R now?
    There’s a review up there from the mag ^^^ from issue 35 with a load of big/’bald’ tyres.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

My 2.2 XR4s come up pretty big, but they do have thin sidewalls. Not caused me a problem, but bear in mind. Also, they work best on a wider rim, but assume you have those for tandem duties. Set up tubeless nice and easy.

I’d be looking at High Rollers, either LUST, or maxxpro run tubeless. I’ve done both with no problems.

Minions are pretty good too as a midde of the road (err….?) tyre. Currently have a Maxxpro rear, non-tubeless, running it tubeless on the rear, and not in a hurry to remove it.

I’ve spent half the day looking at tyres and still don’t feel like I’ve got anywhere.
    The Maxxis Minion Super Tacky tyres I’ve got on the tandem now are terrible on the road. If we stop pedalling, the bike stops too. I wouldn’t have thought it possible for a tyre to drag so much at 45psi.
    I don’t know if it’s the tread pattern or the compound, or more likely, a bit of both.

Anyway, the shortlist, based on recommendations is;

Bontrager XR4 TLR 26×2.35 Limited availability. No mention of compound, but they’re described as low rolling resistance here.

Maxxis Larsen TT 26×2.35 Not a DH tyre. 60a compound. “Low rolling resistance” Looks about right. Is it strong enough ?

Maxxis High Roller and other DH tyres. All look a bit knobbly.

Michelin Wild Rock’R. “Super soft compound”

Bontrager XR4 TLR sounds about the closest to what we want, I guess I’ll just have to buy them and see how they go.

jam-bo

so you ignored the bling blings then…

Cross posted with Mary Hinge.
    Thin sidewalls ? Have you got the TLR “Inner Strength casing (on TLR Team Issue tires) dramatically increases sidewall cut resistance and improves cornering stability” version

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Mine are the “Team” version.

I’ve also used Bonty Big Earl Wets (I think the XR4 replaced them) and they also had thin flimsy sidewalls. Never had a problem with them, always run tubeless with juice, and battered around the Peak District.

As I say, not had problems, but feel thin compared to Maxxis. Was just thinking about the tandem all up weight.

Sorry jam bo, I didn’t mean to ignore you. I’m getting confused about which tyres I’ve already looked at. I didn’t see Bling Bling on Maxxis’ web site and it’s not available from the usual suspects.
    It does look about right though, apart from being 1100g. http://www.26bikes.com/parts/tires/lopes

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Someone’s already given you the answer.

Maxxis do the Larsen TT in a dual ply casing. If you want a DH carcass without the DH tread pattern then that’s the answer.

a DH carcass without theDH tread pattern

When you put it like that, it sounds the obvious choice.

njee20
    Free Member

If its the toughness you’re after why not something like Racing Ralph 2.4″ UST (or any UST tyre).

singlespeedstu

We’ve used a Larsen dual ply on the rear of our tandem too .

But only in the dry.

I may have misunderstood it, but isn’t UST just an extra layer of rubber so the tyre can run tubeless without sealant ?
    Dual ply sounds more like what we are after, a physically stronger tyre.

Northwind

jam bo – Member

so you ignored the bling blings then…

Bling Bling is discontinued.

There was a dualply Ardent but I can only find it now in 2.6.

Intense Zero? Never used one but Intense tyres are usually tough, and these look silly fast.

UST tyres aren’t all physically stronger but some are- quite a few folks use Maxxis UST for downhill as a lighter alternative to dualply frinstance.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some fast rolling Down Hill tyres’ is closed to new replies.