• This topic has 20 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Recommend me some Cranks purrleez
  • womble72
    Free Member

Currently got some tired old XT crank arms and want to replace them with something nice. Any ideas on what Cranks to fit a Renthal 36t Chainring and help Bling up my SS singular swift 😀

Is it worth getting a new bottom bracket too? But what will fit the EBB on my frame?

monkeyboyjc

middleburn rs8?

womble72
    Free Member

Ooh they look lovely. What BB do they need?

womble72
    Free Member

Anyone else got any suggestions?

titusrider
    Free Member

Rotor? ExtraLight?

TBH i would just get some new xt/ xtr

honourablegeorge

E13 Singlespeed cranks are nice – some bargains around as they’re changing models/ranges – I got a set of the DH ones for $150 on EBay

wwaswas
    Superficial
    Free Member

Those Middleburns look like a good deal. I’d probably still go for XTR given the choice though.

Black cranks are a stupid invention, too. They look nice for about 2 rides.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

middleburn – quality and British, Shimano not British.

Superficial
    Free Member

Presumably you drive a Rover, go on beach holidays in Bognor Regis and prefer pasties to croissants. Sometimes foreign is better.

mcboo
    Free Member

I’ve just taken some silver Middleburn cranks off my Ti456 where they looked the dogs. ISIS BB…..gonna sell at some point if you want them. Has an Uno and Duo pair of rings.

cookeaa

If you have taste and want some thing functional but pretty then get some Square taper (Or an SKF BB if you buy ISIS) silver middleburns.

If you want good VFM: SLX

If you want the other boys in the car park to know you are doing OK financially: XT

If you want a conspicuous display of your wealth in MTB crank form get XTR

edit:

Those RS8 X-TYPE look OK but it does look like they’ve just stuck the regular RS8 on an adaptor axle to fit an HT2 BB rather than actually design a new crank… I doubt they offer much functionally over and above “Bog Standard” XT really

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Presumably you drive a Rover, go on beach holidays in Bognor Regis and prefer pasties to croissants. Sometimes foreign is better.

For the record Pasties are better than croissants

mcboo
    Free Member

I’ve always loved Middleburn, I picture them as a couple of nerds in a shed someplace. Does their website still say “Road Cranks – Coming Soon!” (been saying that for 5yrs)

Gunz
    Free Member

Currently got some tired old XT crank arms

Shimano always look out of date more quickly as their designs change all the time. Middleburns don’t change so always look classic, I love mine (always silver though, why would anyone get black).

mcboo
    Free Member

Can I use my Duo chainset with a 10 speed chain, anyone know? Been on a 9sp up to now but just moved across. Building a 29er, could be just the ticket.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Sometimes foreign is better.

and sometimes it isn’t…

Went Middleburn years ago after sampling several Shimano chainsets.

They are probably better now but the Middleburn setup offers duo and uno setups as well.

Superficial
    Free Member

and sometimes it isn’t…

Yeah I completely agree. I just don’t agree with the sentiment that we should buy British things because they’re British, regardless of their performance.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

pasties to croissants. Sometimes foreign is better.

Burn the herratic.

For shinyness that lasts wither go for raw race face deus (I happen to be selling some too……….) or middleburn, I really want some hollowtech RS8’s! Anyone got them and want to swap for my (previous gen) XTR?

Gotama
    Free Member

At the risk of upsetting the applecart a friend has some black raceface turbine cranks which look lovely, are apparently stiff and relatively light. He gives them plenty of abuse as well.

IHN

thisisnotaspoon – care to send me some pics of the ones you’re selling?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some Cranks purrleez’ is closed to new replies.