• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Recommend me some commuter wheels
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Cheap, 700c, 135mm rear, QR, wide ish for 32/35c tyres.

And yes this could also be viewed as a stealth wanted ad, depending on whether or not you are selling wheels.

fasthaggis

Needs more detail mollie.

How cheap?

Rim or disc brake?

How much commuting do you do.

For me the best VFM hubs (for commuting) have been Novatec,last quite well and are easy to service.

tthew

How cheap is cheap?
    29″ Mavic Crossrides from Decathlon fit the bill. £170ish for the pair, and in stock online.
    Rear.
    Front.

Northwind

Old used XC wheels, impossible to beat imo. Mine has a set of WTB Strykers on it- they cost me £100, weigh under 1600g, are tubeless ready (and work fine with road tubeless, or at least, I have not died yet) And no bugger wants them or ever will again. Just one example of course, any QR, skinny-for-mtb wheelset is almost worthless to everyone else but perfect for you.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sub £100 is cheap.

Rim brakes – although I wish they weren’t since it’s what’s done for the current pair.

Bottom end Shimano RS100 are £100 the pair, but I’d rather have a proper 135mm rear instead of having to bodge it with a longer axle and washers.

CraigW
    Free Member

Rose have some reasonably priced wheelsets. About £80 for the cheapest.
    Or £125 if you want a dynamo hub, I think that’s worth it for commuting.
    https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike-parts/wheels/city-and-touring/rim-brake?sort=price_asc

acidchunks

Friendly warning…I had one of those crossrides on the back of my old commuter. It sucked. 3 months in and it started pinging spokes. Replaced a few then got fed up and binned it. 🤷

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@molgrips I have an almost new hand built pair I’m selling. Hplusson Grey ano archetype rims on silver novatec hubs, laced 28/28 with Sapim lasers. You’re not too far from me (pontypool) I think so easy enough to get to you. £150/pair, or about half what they cost me.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

But let me check rear is 135 🤔

molgrips
    Free Member

^^ I might fancy those for a proper bike! Bit to nice for my commuter. Not only does it only go to the shops these days but it also needs to look shabby.

EDIT Those Rose bike wheels though – might just be the best solution ever found on an STW thread!

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@molgrips 130 OLD rear. Sorry. Novatec F172 hub so don’t think you can get Different axles. If they’re any good for you otherwise then say.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I thought rim brake wheels were 130mm and disc were 135mm on the rear with q/r.

If former, https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-ra-1-clincher-road-wheelset-700c-197280.html might be an option for £82.50, Merlin started selling a few own brand wheelsets recently.

DezB
    Free Member

sorry, not rim brake, whatever that is..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some commuter wheels’ is closed to new replies.