Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Recommend me some cheapish flat pedals
  • Ringo
    Free Member

Evening, I fancy trying some flat pedals again and don’t know what’s good and what’s not. I have a budget of about £50. Anyone give me an idea please ta
    Ringo

tomhoward

Burgtec penthouse composite.

dmck16
    Free Member

+1 for Burgtec.

Also can’t go far wrong with DMR pedals, V12 Magnesiums should be within budget.

wors

I’ve had superstar nanos which I really like, but just got a set of the burgtec composites too. Only ridden around the block setting up the suspension on my new bike but feel solid and grippy enough

Cheezpleez

Get some Superstar plastic ones from Planet X. They are a total bargain(if the colours works for you)

xcore
    Free Member

Nukeproof neutrons

johnw1984
    Free Member

Burtec composite here too. Best flat pedals I’ve tried!

orangeboy
    Free Member

HT plastic ones well under £50 and so far they have taken a good beating As my Spesh stumpy pedal strikes a lot.

Flat pedal grip is also about the shoes you use as well.not just the pedal

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Ignore the plastic options – buy some Nukeproof Horizons when they’re on offer on CRC. Easily the best flat pedal overall, which is the reason they always come on top in bike magazine tests.They’ll also last much longer than plastic pedals.

JP

scotroutes

Neutrons. Especially in colder weather.

joebristol

Superstar Nano Evo is good – got a pair of those on my full suss. Unless those are in a sale (and thinking of budget) then Carbon Cycles Exotic alloy pedals aren’t bad either.

Looks like the Nano Evo is on offer – no brainer at that price.

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/nano-x-evo-pedals.htm

https://www.carboncycles.cc/index.php?s=0&c=84&p=940&tb=001#top

binman

Nukeproof Horizons are really well designed. The alloy ones are easily / cheaply serviceable. Pins mainly screw in from underneath so easy to replace. Good amount of fishing.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Yet to try my el Plastique’s on my HT but have had Race Face Chesters on the FS for 3 years and they are ace.

submarined
    Free Member

Really like my Nanos. In my experience the bearings on DMRs don’t last very long, and I don’t really like the shape of the V series.

jimdubleyou

Another +1 on the Neutrons

solamanda
    Free Member

The Carbon Cycles flat pedals are great, I’ve got 4 sets!

Poopscoop

Burgtec penthouse composite.

Ahem, have a one ride old pair going on classifieds soon.

snotrag

Ignore the plastic options

Got to disagree with that. I am a recent convert to plastic pedals and have tried a couple of types. Cheap plastic pedals are as, if not lighter, than very expensive alloy/ti axle pedals.

They ‘slide’ off rocks and seem much more resilient to damage and being caught up or having pins ripped out.

If well done, composite//nylon/plastic is a perfect material for the job of bike pedals.

I now have one-up composites, and they are excellent.

alan1977
    Free Member

^^ this, i was about to buy some nukeproof comps as they were super light and the same design as the alloy pedals.. all be it much cheaper

jedi

Burgtec plastic all day long

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Raceface Chester: same price but slimmer profile and lighter than Burgtec composite with serviceable internals, sealed axle, and key for me, you can use a pedal spanner or 8 mm hex to get them on/off…..have been caught out with hex only pedals seizing and then stripping and being a nightmare to get out of crank!

snotrag

A further benifit I’ve just reembmered – they remain in good visual conditon for much longer as they are ‘self coloured’.

A big scrape to a coloured composite pedal is all but invisible, whereas they first time you **** your fancy anodised ones off a rock they look awful.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Burgtech +1, I’ve still got a pair of MK2’s!

Currently got some of the super-thin HT ME03’s, very grippy, and being so thin is nice, but the external bearings don’t fill me with confidence (pretty sure one seized and is just spinning on the axle albeit not to any detriment as I guess the bushing does most of the work).

DezB
    Free Member

Carbon Cycles/Exotic flats do seem to last forever. The bearings are superb ime, but they’re just a bit smaller and not quite as nice feeling as the newer pedals like Superstar EVOs. Perfect if you have small feets though.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Plastic pedals for years now; wouldn’t bother with anything else now.

zezaskar
    Free Member

I have a pair of Sam Hill Nukeproof Horizons which I love, but wouldn’t mind to try some plastic ones someday.
    Mine are quite beat up, very few areas left with the original black finish and had to replace 50% of the original pins or so. Bearings/bushings are fine still.

An issue I have with screw through pin pedals like the Horizons is that when you remove a damaged pin you tend to also damage the thread on the pedal body. Doing so property involves first cutting the pin and then unscrewing it, but you don’t always have the tools.

Plastic pedals are better in this regard, the pin screws through a standard nyloc nut on the opposite side, you can easily replace the whole set.

One Up Composites used to be all the rage around here, not hearing much about them lately.

Anyone used both the One Ups and the Horizons?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some cheapish flat pedals’ is closed to new replies.