Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommend me some Body Armour Please
  • RustyMac

Pretty much as the title says. I am going to dirt schools jump school in a few weeks and they recommend having body armour. Recommendation is for knee shin and elbow protection, I am not really into full on down hill more just trail riding hopefully soon with the ability to hit a few more jumps along the way.
    Pads should be ok for riding in as well as give a decent bit of protection as reassurance for when the inevitable happens.
    What have you used? what would you recommend? what is not worth looking at?
    So far i have tried on some 661 veggie pads but they didn't feel right also have tried on a pair of large 661 kyle strait knee pads that felt better. I have also been told troy lee pads are very comfy but can't find a local shop that sells them to try any on.

Any way cheers in advance

Rusty

_tom_
    Free Member

Having had a big crash in 661 Kyle Straits, I can confirm that they work well! No tears or scuffs even though I landed pretty hard on my knees and then onto my shoulder. Comfy as well, you forget you're wearing them after a few minutes. I also borrowed some 661 arm/elbow pads which worked very well again. Bit too big for me but when I came off they protected me!

trumplesneaker
    Free Member

My Troy Lee Lopes have saved me many times and are comfortable enough for all day use, highly recommend them.

I use Race Face Fr arm protection which have a lycra sleeve and 3 straps, replacing some 661 elbow pads which moved out of position in my first big off with resultant damage to me!

I did Dirt School's jump school one on one with Andy in the summer and it has certainly made more confident on big drop offs and jumping, although I have a way to go yet! I also did their all mountain day which was excellent too.

Coyote
    Free Member

Race Face Digs. Comfy and do the job.

RustyMac

cheers guys, keep thoes recommendations coming

geetee1972
    Free Member

The new D3 knee and elbow pads from 661 are super comfy, but it depends on whether you want the hard plastic shin covers as well as knee protection. The hard plastic shin/knee guards are far less comfortable and you wouldn't really want to use them for general riding, but I'll happily wear my knee pads all day.

The other thing to invest in would be a spine guard. Dianese make a very good one.

higgo
    Free Member

You've really got to try it for fit. For my first sortie into armour I borrowed two sets off mates: one Dainese, one Race Face. I found that the RF were the best fit on my legs and the Dainese on my arms. Fit is important because you don't want them moving during (or worse, before) a crash.

Having said that, if it fits the Brand-X stuff from CRC is cheap and up to the job. I've crashed all over the Peaks, Alps etc and it's saved me from a lot of pain.

Ewan
    Free Member

661 Kyle Straits but as noted try them on for size.

_tom_
    Free Member

Higgo how do you find the fit of brand x, are the measurements given about right, come up big/small or what?

higgo
    Free Member

I’m large and wear the ‘Large’ Brand X stuff – they fit me fine.

RustyMac

Thanks again to everyone who has replied so far, any further recommendations would be great.

wwaswas

POC do some good pads.

thomthumb
    Free Member

brand x elbow/ forearms are uncomfortable; i wish i’d spent more. 661 kyle straight knees and veggie shins are ace.

my friends 661 pro knee/ shins rubbed him raw!!

chakaping
    Free Member

I really like my new Fox Launch Pro knee pads.

Only come in S/M or L/XL, get the latter unless you are small. Very comfy and don’t seem to chafe or move about while riding. Yet to crash in them though.

£40 from Descent Gear was the cheapest I could find.

bazzer
    Free Member

Well I hope the course is good, as I am doing the Wales course with Rowan Sorrel on Thusday 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some Body Armour Please’ is closed to new replies.