Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Recommend me some baggy shorts..
  • yan
    Free Member

Thinking of going baggy, which are the best endura ones to go for or maybe some other make…..?

plumber
    Free Member

Lululemon – big chief or chiefs – ther best biking shorts ever and only available in that there Canada

headfirst
    Free Member

Altura mayhems do the job for me, good value, light and tough, and low key.

kevin1911

Suppose its a personal preference thing. I like endura’s and oakley’s, but swear by fox. Altura not bad but not quite cut right for me.

tony24
    Free Member

Got some specialized shorts recently, there the best shorts i own the fit is great the length is perfect and the look good on or off the bike. I also own dakine which are abit to warm for summer and altura shorts but they are abit on the short side for me.

sambob
    Free Member

Madison tour are super comfy for me and pretty tough, although 2 zips have died on my oldest pair.

FOG

Mavic are the way to go. They have various models to suit the pocket and my middle range ones are excellent.

Farmer_John
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Altura attacks – although they are supposed to be waterproof shorts for wet weather and I have other shorts to choose from I wear them pretty much all the time; the only time they are really too hot is the hottest days of summer… which is when most shorts tend to get yucky.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Got some TLD ones which are good but using cheapo ones from H+M at the moment, they were about 20 quid, bargain

morgs
    Free Member

just got a pair of hummvee’s – and very nice too!

Northwind

Altura Mayhem seem to be cheaper than anything else that’s as good. Mine are my oldest bits of riding kit, I think, and both pairs still almost as good as new despite some decent crashes.

But I’m a big fan of waterproofs, it can make such a difference to a ride.

IdleJon

Altura Mayhems were free with a sub to What MTB/MBUK recently. It may be worth checking, seeing as the sub is £21 and the shorts are £40+.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Oakley

yan
    Free Member

Cheers thanks for the posts, time to start looking…..

Jools
    Free Member

Don’t bother with Endura Zyme’s, comfy enough but the pathetic button pops in a light breeze or the smallest movement. Before anyone else says it, it’s not the spare tyre causing it. 😐

kevin1911

Jools, you’ve just touched on my biggest annoyance with MTB shorts. Lots of them seem to use those stupid popper studs for fastening. The ones on my Endura Humvees are especially rubbish. In the end I had to remove the stud and stich on some heavy-duty velcro. Had the same problem with several pairs of Oakleys, and a few Altura’s.

Now, in my case, my beer storage system probably isn’t helping matters, but it still seems like a bif of a daft idea.

Jools
    Free Member

Thanks Kevin, I am not alone in this. I have seen some newer endura shorts where they have included a thin belt, which is what i had to resort to. Why they can’t order in some better poppers is beyond me.

Beer storage systems should be taken into account with the design of such shorts, seeing as most modern bikes have little room for bottle cages 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

There was a very long mag review a couple of issues back that may be useful

househusband

Register yourself at Ground Effect and they’ll give you a $NZ30 voucher code – my Supertankers just arrived without catching the attention of the Post Office at Mount Pleasant. They build to last (my Ranchsliders are several years old) and the quality knocks Endura, and many others, into a cocked hat.

IdleJon

Jools – Member
    Thanks Kevin, I am not alone in this. I have seen some newer endura shorts where they have included a thin belt, which is what i had to resort to. Why they can’t order in some better poppers is beyond me.

I have the same problem with my Endura Zymes, and raised it with an employee of Endura who was posting on here a few months back. I basically complained about the quality of the closures on ALL Endura shorts I’ve owned and asked why they didn’t use more expensive poppers. He reckoned that all poppers were so cheap that they were already using decent quality ones. I didn’t get around to asking the obvious question – seeing as they use quality poppers, why don’t they work? I need to use a belt with my Endura shorts and 3/4s.

gb1m
    Free Member

I’ve had some endura ones for about 5 years and they’ve stood up to much abuse . I also got there stealth jacket the winter befor last, a couple of weeks ago I noticed that the waterproof stitching had come loose under the arm leaving a little hole. Took it back to Lbs , they sent it back to Endura and I got a brand new one sent back today. Top service IMO

coolhandluke
    Free Member

All my cycling kecks come from Decathlon. They’re about £20 a pair. not bad quality and they last.

popartpoem
    Free Member

Overall the Humvee’s are far & away my favourites … but on my newest pair, the popper fails every time I breath a bit heavy (I don’t think I’m getting fatter :oops:). The thin little belt doesn’t help much neither.

However, I still find them the most versatile … a little zipped pocket that holds keys & spare change … a little Velcro pocket for energy gels … two big OS carrying rear thigh pockets that hold maps & route plans without interfering with pedalling … plus, zipped vents & zipped front slant pockets.

Pretty good overall

Nobby

Always liked Endura MT500s but they don’t make ’em as standard shorts anymore.

Got a pair of Pearl Izumi Launch Kickers last Xmas & they’re proper comfy – mind you, they should be for what they cost.

hh45
    Free Member

Register yourself at Ground Effect and they’ll give you a $NZ30 voucher code – my Supertankers just arrived without catching the attention of the Post Office at Mount Pleasant. They build to last (my Ranchsliders are several years old) and the quality knocks Endura, and many others, into a cocked hat

i’ll second that. got a pair 3 months ago and worried they may be too long and heavy but material is tough but light, cut is slimmer than i feared and quality and design is excellent. not v cheap these days due to weak pound but worth it in my view. mine also eluded the postie taxman.

anjs
    Free Member

I am a big fan of fox stuff my new ranger shorts are very comfy

Jools
    Free Member

kevin1911 & IdleJon

Have emailed Endura to see what they say, let’s see if, like their shorts, they open up and spill the beans! 🙂

Jools

rob-jackson
    Free Member

If you buy shorts that fit and are not a tight squeeze then the poppers are fine (zyme owner for 3+ years and wear them 70% of the year!!)

IdleJon

cruzheckler – Member
    If you buy shorts that fit and are not a tight squeeze then the poppers are fine (zyme owner for 3+ years and wear them 70% of the year!!)

I know how to buy shorts that fit me, thanks. 🙄

They do fit, and the poppers aren’t fine. However the poppers on any of my other shorts from other manufacturers are ok despite them fitting just the same way and being used in the same way.

_tom_
    Free Member

I love the fit of my Mace shorts, very comfy but come up quite large – I’m usually XL and could now probably fit into a medium as the large is getting a bit big for me now. They have a double button rather than popper, but the button holes are already getting frayed after a few months of use..

I found my Zymes to be very hard wearing but had the popper problem as well. Shame as I liked the shorts, and the belt/tightening system is nice.

Jools
    Free Member

Think I stated mine are a correct fit, in fact they’re a little loose.

However if you wear yours for 70% of the year, you should take them off and wash them, the popper will then fail more due to lack of clag!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

jools 70 is less than 100 you mathematical spaz!

jedi

i have always pretty much worn dakine baggies. syncline at the mo 🙂

Jools
    Free Member

jools 70 is less than 100 you mathematical spaz!

umm when did I say otherwise…?

My comment may have been 100% over your head!

BadlyWiredDog

Don’t bother with Endura Zyme’s, comfy enough but the pathetic button pops in a light breeze or the smallest movement. Before anyone else says it, it’s not the spare tyre causing it.

You can buy popper/press-stud kits and fit an additional popper which sorts this out nicely and will cost you a couple of quid for about 50 spare press-studs. Dead easy, you just need a hammer and a modicum of common sense… You shouldn’t have to do this, but you can.

I quite like my Zymes, though they’re a little warm in hot weather and heavy as hell when waterlogged.

Sugoi Gustovs for best, though they no longer makes them.

Blower
    Free Member

old troy lee xc air are damn good and last ages,best short ive ever owned.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Ah I too have that annoyanec with all three pairs of endura shorts, two pairs of Zyme 3/4’s and some early Humvees. even wearing a belt the popper pops open and I have found the only secure way of riding is a pair of good old braces- that way if you are wearing bib shorts as liners they dont slip down and even if the popper does burst open they dont fall down.
    Since getting my altura attack waterproof shorts (with braces) I have found that I am wearing them at the slightest hint of mud or mositure as dry arse makes a big difference on a long ride with no rear mudguard to snag or sit on.
    Any owners out there using Altura Apex shorts I would be interested in opinions on them too.

kevin1911

Jools, let us know what endura say.

mad1000
    Free Member

I use Zymes. Recommended and I’ve never had any popper problems……

Kevevs
    Free Member

endura singletracks a bit rubbish imno. ripped ’em up.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some baggy shorts..’ is closed to new replies.