Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Recommend me some armour
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I have this Orange Patriot, and I am currently far too jey for it. I am thinking of making a concerted effort to be more rad, so I might pick up some armour.

So what trade-off is there between comfiness in normal riding and protection? Never even so much as looked at armour before. Is it just a case of knee/shin and elbow? What else can you get that’s not considered overkill? Perhaps some kind of padding on the hip for shorts? I usually hurt much more than my knees and elbows in a bad crash.

theflatboy
    Free Member

sootyandjim
    Free Member

stumpy01

I’ve got 661 race lite knee/shin pads that are pretty nice and comfortable. You just need to make sure you put them on properly, as if you don’t get them just right they can chafe a bit (well, they chafe my knees) and then you have to stop and adjust.

I also got some cheap-ish Fox elbow pads and they are very comfortable.

As for comfort, you generally forget you have them on after 5 mins or so.

wwaswas

if you’re a bit jey for the above;

lcj

661 Kyle Straits, then you can look pro, plus they double up as knee warmers and unlike most of the 661 range, actually stay in place and protect you when you fall.

molgrips
    Free Member

then you can look pro

Yeah, nothing worse than a jeyboy trying to loo pro, as I bottle it on the drop into the lower half of Cwmcarn DH course 😳

Jamie
    Free Member

wwaswas:

if you’re a bit jey for the above;

As I scrolled down the thread i just knew i was going to see that pic :mrgreen:

richc
    Free Member

661 Kyle Strait pads are pretty much spot on for jeycore freemincing.

snaps
    Free Member

What size are you?
    I’m selling some 661 knee/shin pads in large, only worn once as they were to small for me.

enfht
    Free Member

Why did the Tron dude allow his picture to be taken?!

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Why did the Tron dude allow his picture to be taken?!

He’s into Cosplay and probably quite chuffed with his outfit.

MrAgreeable

Some Troy lee shorts have built-in hip pads. I have some 661 Bomber Pro undershorts, but it’s a bit distracting, feels like you’ve got a scientific calculator in each pocket.

enfht
    Free Member

Well you learn something new every day…had never heard of Cosplay before. I’m gonna build me a Chorlton and the Wheelies outfit, looks like I’ve found a new hobby. Any ladies wanna dress up as Fanella?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

One of the women who works for me is into Cosplay and she’s very proud of her photos of herself dressed up in the various outfits she has.

I must say though, she does look quite good in her Selene (from Underworld) outfit.

molgrips
    Free Member

Kyle Straits are only knee pads? I think I want something for the shin too.

Snaps – 5’11 32″ inside leg. Where are you? Could be interested. Which model are they?

Coyote
    Free Member

snaps, if molgrips ain’t interested I might be. What sort of money are you looking for?

MrAgreeable

Chorlton and the Wheelies cosplay, good grief! I’m now visualising a subculture of deviants who get their jollies by dressing up as Clangers and Flumps…

Molgrips, Kyle Straits come down over the top part of your shin too, so if you pull your socks up you only have an inch of exposed skin. They are way more comfortable to wear than full shin pads, riding uphill in them is no problem at all. An added bonus is that you will probably be mistaken for Sam Hill.

molgrips
    Free Member

I dunno if socks will prevent pedal pin gouging. I have some really long DMR pins in my pedals, I’d like to keep them there instead of in my flesh…

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Troy lee T bones cover more of the shin and to me feel more robust than the 661 knee pads. I wouldnt want to do an epic in them but I’ve worn them for four hours or more on occaision, cant really fault them.

Padded shorts, elbow pads etc in my opinion are more of a psychological boost than actual funtional armour. They’ll prevent the odd scratch or bruise from silly falls but they’ll do little in the event of a serious crash.

A full face helmet will give you the biggest confidence boost imo. Followed by a spine protector and knee/shin protection. The rest isnt very functional as I’ve found out.

grumm
    Free Member

Been debating this for the Mega – have to have elbow pads, and I’m pretty sure I’m gonna get knee/shin pads too, but I am thinking the core/spine protector might be overkill.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

grumm – Member
    Been debating this for the Mega – have to have elbow pads, and I’m pretty sure I’m gonna get knee/shin pads too, but I am thinking the core/spine protector might be overkill.

Strange that you’d bother to protect your elbows but not your spine 🙂

it may well be overkill for the mega though. On a uk style dh course though I’d be wearing spine protection and possibly a leat brace too depending on the level of gnar.

grumm
    Free Member

Well you are required to have the elbow pads. Plus ppl have told me you get a bit of spine protection from having a Camelbak on, which I guess you wouldn’t have on for a full on dh course.

There are some reasonable climbs on the Mega so I’m told, so I don’t want to be too overburdened (or spend too much cash :P)

fingerbike
    Free Member

I’m surprised no one has made a camelbak with a built in spine protector….

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve got some grr freerider camelbak that’s apparently cut extra long to help protect your spine, as apparently they’ve discovered camelbaks can help in crashes.

RicB

I’ve got some 661 Racelites for sale too. Size large, only worn once. £20 posted. email if you’d like pics

Ric DOT bowers AT lineone DOT net

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

>I’m surprised no one has made a camelbak with a built in spine protector….

Ortovox do.

goby

I got some roach knee/shin combo and swear by them, with a 661 jacket and a giro full facer.

Saved me many many times!!

snaps
    Free Member

Sorry about that – long meeting. I’m 6’1″ 34″ inside leg & they were just a bit to small for me in Large so I bought the XL.
    Here they are £25 posted email in profile.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm, I might try a few on in shops first. If people are still selling I’ll come back tomorrow.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some armour’ is closed to new replies.