• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by cp.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Recommend me: Small camp sites in the Peak District
  • Midnighthour
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend some small camping (tent) sites anywhere in the peak district, for this spring/early summer? Thinking of bike touring.

I am looking for small quiet sites, lots of trees/hedges around type thing, decent shower blocks are very important, but no other on site facilites really needed. No swim pools, bars or kids areas.

Ta.

funkynick

You’ll be wanting to stay at North Lees campsite then…

JonBurns
    Free Member

There’s the national trust campsite a few miles out of Ambleside on the banks of windermere. It’s very basic and the toilet blocks don;t look much but do have hot running water.

In fact theres quite a few…
    http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-global/w-localtoyou/w-northwest/w-lakedistrict-feature/w-northwest-lakedistrict_camping.htm

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member
    mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

bit of a trek that jonburns 😉

stumpy01

http://www.limetreeparkbuxton.co.uk/

I stayed in this place a couple of times – it’s fairly large, but the caravans are well separated from the tents so it feels fairly small. There’s a fair bit of shelter, although you can be quite close to other tents at busy times. They have a decent shower block and are about 1 mile from Buxton.

bland

There is one in barber booth, just down the road from edale that the nutty wman who used to own the edale cafe runs, however you will be staying there at your own peril if you have ever met her!

Muke
    Free Member
    matt_outandabout

Definately Barber Booth or North Lees. Barber Booth is more basic, but feels nice n remote. North Lees ‘off season’ is empty with great shower block etc, but can get really quite busy theses days, and with some noisy buggers. They do also have a wild camp area up behind.

(btw I seem to have stayed on about 90% of Peak campsites over a few years of expeditions with groups…)

AlasdairMc

I stayed a couple of nights in the campsite in Hayfield last June, it was really nice. It’s within walking distance of the pub too.

cp

another vote for north lees – really nice. nice walk across the fields (though half an hour) to hathersage for breakfast/lunch/dinner/beer too 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me: Small camp sites in the Peak District’ is closed to new replies.