Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Recommend me short travel forks for SS use
  • blanklook

Will shortly start building up SS frame and not keen on having rigid front forks. Any thoughts on decent short travel forks – probably 100mm of travel? Budget £350ish, but does not have to be that much…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

SS for winter?

Marzocchi MX Comps or Pro’s, and the other £300 on having a good time!

Failing that SIDs or REBAs depending on your position on the chunky monkey/weight weenie scale.

blanklook

Thanks TINAS. Yes hope to have it built for Winter but think it will suit quite a lot of the riding I have close by anyway – so use will extend into Summer – provided the knees stand up to it. As far as weight scale goes, it is steel frame so will not be the lightest anyway…
    Are the Marzocchis that cheap??

Junkyard
    Free Member

Two approaches really
    Build it up form the parts bin – my approach in which case what they said
    or build it ligt/new and end up with a blinglespeed

I have some Manitou air R7’s [ ith full lock out] which are v light but the steerer is too short for my current frame if any interest. Ehich ill be both cheap and light.
    Personally I like to keep mine cheap and cheerful. It is nice to have full lockout to rigid if only to remind yourself why you should never actually consider it 😉

steve_b77
    Free Member

I slung a set of Tora Solo Airs on mine, bang on for the money

curlie467
    Free Member

Are the Marzocchis that cheap??

Yep, i have MX comps on my old stumpy HT, they are bomb proof and ride well, they also only cost £55 posted.

These will be staying on the bike when it is retired from everyday use and converted to SS for occasional winter tomfoolery.

Euro
    Free Member

My Marin came with Marzocchi MX Comps and I found them soft, flexy and vague. If you’re under 10st they might be worth a punt for general cycling, but it would be £50 wasted if you’re planning on going off-road.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

On-one for £200.?

curlie467
    Free Member

My Marin came with Marzocchi MX Comps and I found them soft, flexy and vague. If you’re under 10st they might be worth a punt for general cycling, but it would be £50 wasted if you’re planning on going off-road.

I out mine through some serious abuse and pain, i am also 12 stone 3.

I think they are ok, not a patch on the revelations i used to have but pretty damn good for £55.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me short travel forks for SS use’ is closed to new replies.