Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recommend me places to stay in the outer Hebrides..
  • IA

Not with bike, just touring around a bit with my wife. Places to stay (or avoid) and things to do, suggestions welcomed!

curto80
    Free Member

Stay here

http://www.langasslodge.co.uk/

The seafood platter is sensational

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Avoid Dark Island Hotel on whatever night they have the disco/nightclub thing going on.

tjagain

Book ahead would be my advice.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

“Book ahead would be my advice.”

This, & if you don’t, take a tent!

I’d look for somewhere on Benbecula because It’s fairly central to get around North & South Uist, Eriskay & the ferry to Barra & Vatersay.

dovebiker

We went to Harris and Lewis as part of a trip last May – asked for places to eat at the Tourist Office in Stornoway.

We drove up to the Butt of Lewis and hoped to get lunch at the cafe in Port Nis. Got there about 1pm to find they no longer were taking lunch orders  – the surly owner had decided they done enough and didn’t care that people were waiting! We drove out towards the lighthouse and parked by the little sandy bay then walked around to the lighthouse – as we were looking out to sea, a pod of about 50 dolphins was feeding in the currents.

We did stop at Callanish on the way back and that was quite nice, but was busy at times Planning on doing the Uists this year.

Places are few and far between, so well worth checking / planning before setting out

IA

Planning to book ahead, hence asking for recommendations.

Quite happy to just tool around a bit, going for wee wanders and enjoying the views etc, but thought a few planned activities/bad weather options might not go amiss. Though “sit and read a book somewhere dry” is always a backup option.

stevie750

If you want a hostel, the gatliff trust blackhouse on bernaray is in a great spot on an amazing beach.

Do not stay in the hostel in tarbett it’s cramped and manky

IA

Good tips, thanks.

anyone got some must see/visit spots?

tjagain

Must see for me are the stone circles, chambered cairns and the like,  Not just callanish but there are loads more.  a couple of good ones just to the west of callanish.

Nice pub in roghadal ( south east tip of harris)  we couldn’t stay there ‘cos it was fully booked but the scoff was good and they let us pitch the tent out back

Clearview was a nice B&b ballallan lewis but an evening meal is a few miles away

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me places to stay in the outer Hebrides..’ is closed to new replies.