Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommend me an iPod dock for the garage
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

As it says in the title……. for a budget of about £100

Cheers

Ken

derek_starship
    Free Member

Klipsch iGroove – about £75

5lab

I got one of these

http://www.atlantic2u.com/Product/SEFOUR/Audio/TD003/GoogleBase/

but from superfi. That place looks dodgey, so up to you. Normally £250 – google the ‘micropod se ipod’ – not the ‘biggest’ sound, but plenty loud enough and nice and small to not get in the way

Jamie
    Free Member

Old fashioned I know, but I use an old amp and speakers with an aux > headphone jack in the garage.

Gachet
    Free Member

Old fashioned I know, but I use an old amp and speakers with an aux > headphone jack in the garage.

That’s probably the best thing to do as all of the iPod docks I’ve come accross constantly charge the iPod battery which will shorten it’s lifespan considerably compared to only charging it when the battery is low.

I picked up a Sony mini system with usb and aux input along with CD and radio for just over a hundred quid a few years ago, that sort of thing would be my first choice.

StuF

We’ve just got a pure dab radio / ipod doc – little black triangular thingy – very happy with it

Cougar

all of the iPod docks I’ve come accross constantly charge the iPod battery which will shorten it’s lifespan considerably compared to only charging it when the battery is low.

Er, no. iPod / iPhone batteries are lithium-ion, not NiCad. Li-Ion batteries don’t suffer from the memory effect issue that NiCad did. Quite the opposite, they need to be charged regularly for best performance and shouldn’t be deep-discharged.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

shouldn’t be deep-discharged

Are you sure?

Taken from Apple website:

“Use iPod Regularly
    For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month. If you use your iPod infrequently (gasp), you might want to add a reminder to your calendar program.”

They even have a calendar reminder you can use to remind you to charge and discharge it regularly.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

PS I have one of these and – despite the lack of a dock adapter for iPhone 4 – is pretty good and well put together.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

A set of Logitech PC speakers with subwoofer? best speakers I’ve used, have got a set of z4s on the PC and another set for music in the living room.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

A set of Logitech PC speakers with subwoofer? best speakers I’ve used, have got a set of z4s on the PC and another set for music in the living room.

This is what I have in my workshop (SOny is in the kitchen)

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

+1 for the Klipsch iGroove. Very good sound and reasonable volume although mine seems to be developing a bit of a bass buzz so might be going back for replacement under warranty

Jamie
    Free Member

A set of Logitech PC speakers with subwoofer?

I have the Logitech Z-2300s connected to my Macbook Pro. They are immense. Not sure if you can get them anymore, so whatever the equivalent of those are would be another good idea.

p7rich
    Free Member

I own a pair of these and still love the sound they produce 18 months later.

https://ripcaster.co.uk/node/257?gclid=CLrus4eGtaYCFUYe4QodrBhaIA

Sound quality is head and shoulders above the rat-a-tat-tat tinny norm. Dunno how big your garage is but they fill larger spaces pretty well considering each spesker is only a few inches high.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Old seperates on ebay are bargains. And they’ll sound ace too. That’s what I would do…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me an iPod dock for the garage’ is closed to new replies.