Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • recommend me an external hard drive to use with my macbook
  • manitou
    Free Member

looking for a new external hard drive.. one that works with Timemachine, one thats just plug in and go.
    Any ideas? costs?

Ta!

Jamie
    Free Member

Size? I use a 500GB Freecom, use it with SuperDuper rather than Timemachine but works fine with either. Had it a year and a bit so probably cannot buy it anymore, but i would heartily recommend the brand.

manitou
    Free Member

I'd like one of those 1 terra wotchmacallit ones

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Aria

Or

This

CountZero

Lacie?

Kuco

I use the 250gb one out of my dead powerbook in a caddy 😡

Rio

Any USB 2.0 drive should do. I use a 320GB WD MyBook with Time Machine and it just works but looks a bit naff. Use a 1TB LaCie with the PC which looks pretty but is not so good at power management, also have a 1TB Hitachi SimpleDrive which is better at power management and looks a bit more Mac-like.

btbb
    Free Member

I've got a 1TB WD My Book and have had no problems with it. Don't bother going for the so called mac specific one.

tails
    Free Member

whenever i see pics of photographers bags i see these jobs by lacie

prettygreenparrot

1TB WD elements – £60 amazon. 1TB Hitachi 'simple drive' tesco £65. Both need formatting to HFS+ before use. Both work well with TIme machine. You could partition the drive when you format it if you want a smaller time machine drive and some space.

kiwijohn

I've just got a WD 320 gb. Use Carbon Copy Cloner for back ups. Swapped the MacBook HD for a 500gb and reinstalled from the backup in under an hour. So simple

binners

Don't buy a Lacie! They really don't like macs. My Macbook Pro and Lacie external drive are like the main characters in a Jane Austin novel. Its on. Its off. Its on again. I can really do without the "oh Mr Darcy' theatrics when trying to get some work done

_tom_
    Free Member

Seagate FreeAgent Go 500gb works for me.

fivelittlefish
    Free Member

It depends what you want it for?

Just for back ups? – any of the ones already mentioned, although I must say I've found WD drives differ in quality, even in the same product range. Lacie are good.

You may want a faster one for work?
    I use a scratch disk for Final Cut – GDrive Mini 500gb. It's Firewire and 7200rpm.
    Anything with USB and 5400rpm is too slow.

manitou
    Free Member

Hey Binners, thats odd as Apple seem to advertise the Lacie ones on the Apple site!

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TS124VC/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0Nw&mco=MTA4NDkwNDc

grumm
    Free Member

Don't buy a Lacie! They really don't like macs.

Lacie drives are just branded Lacie – the actual drive could be WD or Seagate or maybe others. I've used one with a Mac with no issues.

tomzo
    Free Member

My lacie works fine with my mac, as does everyone elses i know! Must have a dodgy one binners

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘recommend me an external hard drive to use with my macbook’ is closed to new replies.