• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by fossy.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Recommend me an electric pump to keep in the house
  • dogthomson

Just sorted out our playroom to make space for a new (wheel on) turbo. Want to keep one of those electric pumps handy to keep rear tyre pressure consistent.

Seems to be loads on Amazon/AliExpress etc. Can anyone recommend one based on real world experience? Ideally looking for one that goes up to 120psi.

dave_h
    Free Member

What’s wrong with a semi-decent track pump with a pressure gauge?

bikerevivesheffield

Probably down to effort and the desire to buy a toy 😂

bikerevivesheffield

Seriously though the Bosch one looks good

convert

Oh, dear god. You are going to cycle indoors so you can get exercise (because no one does it for pleasure) and you are going to buy an electric pump rather than a bog standard track pump to save you doing exercise for the two and a half puffs of air once every 3 weeks you’ll need to do keep the tyre pressure up for your indoor exercise activity.

Have you considered popping an ebike on the turbo? 😉

johnnystorm

I’ve got one of these which has been great:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334958255601?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=MpNmXKV2R7u&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=riERuh_1Tt2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Does 120psi and has enough oomph to do big van tyres. Not much cop if you want something to take riding of course. Will also run off 12v if you have really big flat tyres. Can get them new in Argos (and aldi rebrand them too) but they’re like PX so need to wait for the sale cycle to come around.

dogthomson

I have a track pump, 1) the pressure gauge on it is awful and I thought a digital one might be more accurate and 2) I’m not sure my good lady would appreciate a big old track pump knocking around the playroom where the kids will inevitably pick if up and drop it on their toes!

@convert
    , careful not to fall off that high horse!

convert

You are going to put a turbo in the play room. A whole bike and the actual turbo, maybe a mat and a fan too if you’ve got any sense. Then you are going to ride it – that’ll together generate a noise comparable to roads works in your front garden in terms of annoyance. Then you are going to sweat like a Nile tributary. And the thing you think your better half is going to complain about is the presence of a track pump 😂

reeksy

I’m not sure my good lady would appreciate a big old track pump knocking around the playroom where the kids will inevitably pick if up and drop it on their toes!

And let’s face it they will find it much easier to inflate the cat using an electric pump.

mert
    Free Member

I have a track pump, 1) the pressure gauge on it is awful and I thought a digital one might be more accurate

You have a rubbish track pump, as it has an awful gauge, and no, the digital one on a cheaply made electric pump isn’t going to be anymore accurate.

(To be fair, they almost all have terrible, cheaply made gauges.)

traildog
    Free Member

You need a trackpump, which you say  you have so then a seperate better pressure gauge. You can get fancy digital pressure gauges if you want an electric toy. I don’t think covert is on a high horse, but actually he’s standing on fairly solid ground.

bfw

Electric bike tyre pump is in my list of items ‘we dont really need or/and dont make life easier’ with keyless entry on cars

montgomery
    Free Member

This is why we’re doomed.

cookeaa

I’ve got a wheel on trainer, our kids are old enough now that a playroom isn’t really a thing anymore, but the trainer is still relegated to the Garage, no way on earth I’d get to bring that noisy whirring bastard in the house.

Pump and/or it’s ‘accuracy’ are a distant tertiary concern.

DickBarton

Just pump tyre until it feels hard enough…no need for a pressure gauge for a turbo trainer really…

burko73

I bought a makita air pump that works with the makita batteries I already have. Other brands are available I guess if you have a different battery system. It’s been genuinely useful for not just bikes, kids bikes, but keeping the various vehicles we have topped up and even inflating paddling pools and blowing sawdust/ dust and even starting  a fire!

fossy

Bury the turbo at the back of the shed/garage, and go out and ride in the real world. Electric pump for at home to add a few PSI – what ?  Track pump, far quicker.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.