Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Recommend me an affordable compact camera
  • PJay
    Free Member

I’m after a compact  digital camera for point and click photography whilst out riding (and the ubiquitous bike photos). I’m afraid that I’m rather financially challenged at present so would definitely be looking sub-£100.

The market is swamped  with cameras and I don’t really know what’s good and what’s not so., recommendations needed please. I’d also consider second hand/Ebay but I guess that it would be hard to judge lens condition.

DrJ

Use your phone. Seriously.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Have a look at the Sony DSCW800. Very decent spec for about £65. Leaves enough cash for a decent size SD card.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PJay
    Free Member

Use your phone. Seriously.

I’m afraid my phone is an old Nokia from around 12-14 years ago and very definitely not up to the task!

That Sony looks a real possibility though, thanks!

tall_martin

I have a Canon g9. There are a few on eBay for sub £100.

In day light it takes photos as good as my dale.

They are a bit chunky, but mine has been going strong since 2008

The Canon power shots are also awesome tiny cameras.

I have a few  photos printed off to slightly larger than a4 size. One is from a 2005 3 mega pixel camera, some are from the 12 mega pixel g9 and some are from my wedding taken by a pro with £££ of gear . They are all ace. If you look hard at the 3mp one the grass isn’t well resolved.

Any modern ish camera will give decent photos.

Pick the camera you will take with you and happy snapping 😀

PJay
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll have a look around and see what deals are going (I could just upgrade my phone I suppose!).

PJay
    Free Member

Well, I’ve sold a frame and now could possibly stretch to £150. Would this significantly improve things (again there’s a huge choice) or should justI stick to something basic and save up for something better later on if I get bitten by the bug?

SaxonRider

I’m watching this with interest, as even with an iPhone tucked safely away in my jersey, I would like something specific for photos…

Andy

Following

bodgy
    Free Member

enough cash for a decent size SD card.

I started off with a big card, but you end up with so many pictures on it that finding anything at all becomes a nightmare. Go for a small fast card (1 or 2 Gig max) and upload your photo’s more often. You’re more likely to print/edit them that way, and less likely to lose the lot if you lose your camera.

PJay
    Free Member

I’m rather bewildered by all the choice and specifications and what you get at a pricepoint.

The are lots of “Best compact camera sub £xxx” lists on the internet but they rarely concur. I’m also doing what I usually do (as with bike stuff) and saying “Oh, that’s just £10 more!” and have gone from £65 cameras to £180 cameras fairly rapidly.

finishthat
    Free Member

look for something waterproof/shockproof  – that way you will have something suited to being

outdoors with you , something you would take where you would not take a smart phone.

Something like a Panasonic DMC-FT30    is well in budget about £130

Tough cameras are great you can just sling them in your pack and not needing a case means you can use them at a moments notice

onewheelgood

I’ve given up buying cameras, I keep destroying them. I’ve bought several to take photos while out on rides/hikes and they all died – water damage (serves me right for taking cameras up welsh mountains), and crash damage – didn’t matter where I carried them, I could guarantee that the next crash I had would bring all my weight down on the camera. It got really expensive.

That said, I’d be tempted by an Olympus TG-5 if only they weren’t so expensive.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me an affordable compact camera’ is closed to new replies.