Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend me an 'active/sports' photo back pack
  • clodhopper
    Free Member

My ancient Lowepro camera rucksack is literally falling to bits, so need a new camera bag. To be honest, it was never great to wear on a bike, and I’ve been using a normal hiking rucksack for my camera gear. Which is less than ideal, as it has no padding, meaning I have to wrap equipment up in clothes and things. So, I’m looking for a backpack that is designed for photographic equipment, but which is good for mtbing and stuff. So, padded lower hip belt and chest strap. Not so fussed about water bladder capacity. Would be good to strap a small tripod on the back without it swinging around. Well padded and comfortable, good for all day trips.

Anyone using anything good?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Sounds like you need a smaller system 😈

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I would have thought the LowePro Photosport 200 or 300, depending on how much you want to carry. I keep looking at them myself!

Although a smaller system is not a bad suggestion either! I have moved to micro 4/3 for taking on the bike and hills most of the time, the full frame is for planned photo sessions!

kiwijohn

I’m using a Mindshift Trail.

smashit
    Free Member

LowePro Photosport, I have the old 200AW, but the new ones look good.

I find that they fit better on the bike with the aluminium frame rod removed! Allow it to curve and fit your back better.

clodhopper
    Free Member

“Sounds like you need a smaller system”

😆

Very good.

I did have a look at a mirrorless Olympus system being demoed in a shop last week. Tiny, felt well made and seems to have a decent range of lenses available.

Then I remembered I’ve got a proper camera. 😉

Looking at the Lowepro range; the ‘active sports’ style rucksacks seem to be very low in capacity. Probably ideal for a smaller system…
    Hadn’t seen the Mindshift range. Are they available in the UK? TBH, most camera shops only seem to stock a small range of bags (understandable). Hoping to actually try one for size and fit before I buy.

Rik
    Free Member

Mindshift Trail wins by a mile

clodhopper
    Free Member

I like the look of the Mindshift range.

Need something to carry a DSLR with grip, plus short and tele zooms and flashgun, plus some smaller bits, as minimum really. Something with quick and easy access to the camera would be ideal.

kiwijohn

I carry a Fuji XT1 with 18-135mm in mine. You won’t get quicker access.

clodhopper
    Free Member

This Lowepro model seems to fit the bill. Any users here?

Camera Carry: Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW Review

Oh, and needs to be ‘small’ enough to use as carry-on baggage on ‘planes’. My camera gear ain’t goin’ in no cargo hold, fool!

justinbieber

I’ve got the Lowepro photosport 200AW and it’s ace. It’s just about big enough for a Dslr with grip, and another lens fits into the padded compartment next to it. Flash guns and other kit would have to fit in the main compartment which may not be ideal, but it’s ideal when you’re out riding as it’s not too large and doesn’t move about much. If you need to carry much more though, you’ll be looking at a bigger pack.

clodhopper
    Free Member

Yes, the 300AW might be more suitable.

I also need a shoulder bag type… bag. Bilingham do look very nice, but are pretty basic, lack features such as genuine waterproofness, quick access and are relatively very expensive. They do look very nice though.

justinbieber

I could be wrong, but I don’t think the actual padded camera compartment is different on the 200 and 300. I always thought that the difference was in the size of the rest of the pack?

philwarren11
    Free Member

Dakine do some nice backpacks.

F-Stop are awesome too.

clodhopper
    Free Member

I’ll have to find a shop stocking them, take my gear along and see if it all fits.

clodhopper
    Free Member

“F-Stop are awesome too.”

If you mean this company, then that may be a little contentious.

http://fstopgear.com/news/2016-03/shooting-sports-elizabeth-kreutz#.WCsf9yOLQnU

Amazed that a company would want to associate itself with that horrible ****! And think it wouldn’t have an impact on potential sales. That’s one brand I won’t be buying!

5thElefant
    Free Member

OK, why is Elizabeth Kreutz a horrible ****? Google doesn’t give any clues.

clodhopper
    Free Member

Just in case you genuinely didn’t get it (and I suspect this really isn’t the case), and to clear up any possible confusion; the man on the right of the above photo is none other than Lance Armstrong. That’s right; the one who’s won as many Tours de France as you or I. That’s the ‘horrible ****’. As for Ms Kreutz; I know nothing about her other than she took pictures of Lance Armstrong.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me an 'active/sports' photo back pack’ is closed to new replies.