Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend me a workhorse fat bike.
  • ferrals
    Free Member

We are looking at purchasing a fat bike for work. Budget round about £1k. Wil need to be easy to maintain so fully rigid, no carbon forks, would actually prefer cable discs to hydraulic. 1 by drivetrain for simplicity. Potential for pannier racks.

Any ideas?

steve_b77
    Free Member

2nd hand Genesis Caribou ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ferrals
    Free Member

Yeah had spotted that felt one, seems like the best option so far. Second hand not viable. Could probably go a touch over £1k if necessary.

steve_b77
    Free Member

You’re using a bike to work voucher aren’t you?

ferrals
    Free Member

No, its to be bought to enable transport around beaches. We were initially planning on a quad bike but ran into logistical hurdles such as insuarnace, storage etc. So I figure a fat bike could be considered a low carbon emission quad!!

grenosteve
    Free Member

Calibre Dune. Can take a rear rack and almost meets all your criteria, except it’s got 2×8 gears.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

On-One fatty? I can’t see the appeal of cable disks, and the carbon fork has been bombproof.

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

With all the options you have above I’d go Cube Nutrail or Felt DD70 as good combination fo parts and haven’t heard anything about frame failures etc.

The other option, if you can, is EBay as there’s some bargains to be had amongst the shite.

James

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Theres a 19″ Caribou with 1X drivetrain on the fleabay atm for half yr budget, leaving loads for upgrades? Pretty sure the Caribou has all the fixing points for most workhorse applications

Northwind

I don’t know anything about racks tbh but the Dune has some sort of boltholes on the stays which might be rack mounts. Or might not, who knows. It’s not 1x but who cares, it costs £450 less than your budget so you could put bloomin Eagle on it and still be under. Though actually the 2×8 is perfectly solid.

jonm81

Bought an 18″ Felt DD70 when Merlin had more stock. Upgraded to Shimano hydraulic brakes and 1×11 and still less than £1k all in. Rides really nice and lighter than it looks. More of an XC geometry than other fatbikes and the steeper head angle makes the steering a bit nimbler than others I have ridden. Only downside is the bottom bracket is quite low so sometimes get pedal strike if not careful on corners or over rocks/roots.

It’s taken some abuse over the last year but still going strong. Think CycleLane.co.uk has some at just over £800.

dovebiker

Anything from Surly if you want bombproof – used ICT or Wednesday would tick all the boxes

5thElefant
    Free Member

Another vote for the felt.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

there’s a lovely Wednesday for sale on the Farcebook fatbike for sale page, comes with all the bikepacking bags too 🙂

i Love mine btw 😉

epicyclo

When you said workhorse I immediately thought Surly – any of their fatbikes.

But £1,000 won’t buy one new.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

My mate’s medium Genesis Caribou he’s asked me to sell for him! Medium, rack included, spare set of tires, loads of upgrades – £700…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a workhorse fat bike.’ is closed to new replies.