Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Recommend me a winter weekend away in the UK
  • Philby

Even more leftfield – Bradford! A city that could definitely do with a surge tourists helping its economy, particularly after last week when the Government has well and truly shafted the city with the withdrawl of the proposed HS3/Northern Powerhouse Rail line from Leeds to Manchester via Bradford which has left the city geographically and economically isolated.

Lots to see and do – National Science and Media Museum, Haworth for the Brontes and walk on the moors to Wuthering Heights, Saltaire and Salts Mill (UNESCO World Heritage Site) which has lots of David Hockney paintings and some great shops (including a bike shop), a drive over the moors from Saltaire to the lovely spa town of Ilkley which has a Betty’s tea room, and then back to Bradford for an amazing curry. You could also stop on the way there at either or both the Yorkshire Sculpture Park or The Hepworth, both close to the M1, for some more culture.

IHN

Hey IHN…..that’s our little escape in Wales, well the cottage next door anyway. We were the first to stay there must have been back in around 2000.

To be fair, someone on here recommended it to me about five(?) years ago after I asked a similar question, it may well have been you 🙂

footflaps

I like nice hotels in interesting places eg.

Haweswater hotel, stunning location and you’ll have Red Squirrels on your window sill in the mornings.

https://www.haweswaterhotel.com/

or Pen-Y-Gwryd Hotel, still run like a Victorian guest house – which is a different experience. I got clipped round the ear by the owner for not informing them my then GF was vegetarian before dinner (there isn’t a menu, you just get what they’ve cooked).

https://www.pyg.co.uk/

ElShalimo

The Pen-y-Gwyrd is an experience alright. The rooms are okay, the food is just okay, the beer average and the people who run it are odd and quite rude too e.g. demanding my friend removed his hat or he couldn’t order beer, telling us what time we were having breakfast to meet their requirements.  For balance the huge, deep Victorian/Edwardian/ancient baths are amazing though

However I wouldn’t give them another penny if I lived to be 150yrs old.

There are lots of really nice places to stay where they have half a clue how to treat paying guests

IHN

It’s nice to see that they’re keeping the very British tradition of people running B&Bs being annoyed that people want to stay and eat. I’ve stayed at a few of those.

militantmandy
    Free Member

I did a long weekend in Jan (pre pandemic) in Ballater. It was glorious and cheap.

footflaps

The Pen-y-Gwyrd is an experience alright. The rooms are okay, the food is just okay, the beer average and the people who run it are odd and quite rude too e.g. demanding my friend removed his hat or he couldn’t order beer, telling us what time we were having breakfast to meet their requirements. For balance the huge, deep Victorian/Edwardian/ancient baths are amazing though

Yep, sounds about right!

Fully booked months in advance though (or always used to be). Been run by the same family for generations.

We really enjoyed the whole experience, something different.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

South Lakes, I actually reckon winter is the best time to see the Lakes, a bit quieter and the colours are stunning.

captmorgan
    Free Member

Hear really great things about this place

https://paultonspark.co.uk/themed-worlds/peppa-pig-world

creakingdoor
    Free Member

A trip to The Scilly Isles is good for the soul.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Hey IHN…..that’s our little escape in Wales, well the cottage next door anyway. We were the first to stay there must have been back in around 2000.

To be fair, someone on here recommended it to me about five(?) years ago after I asked a similar question, it may well have been you 🙂

lol….yeah I probably did. Great isn’t it, we haven’t been for about five years now. Always great in the Winter, although we used to go Oct half term. Such a wonderful space to walk around, if you miss the passing weather!

Rockape63
    Free Member

Anyway….on the basis you’re coming from the West, the Gower is great/ if similar terrain to the Devon & Cornwall. Mentioned by others, I’d agree the Isle of Purbeck is just fabulous, from Durdle Door/Lulworth Cove (weekend walks through the ranges)to Studland Bay, overlooking Poole Harbour, Swanage, the chain ferry to check out Bournemouth, Steam Railways, Cream Teas, Thatched Roofs, fabulous walks everywhere………and some great Pubs!

ampthill

A trip to The Scilly Isles is good for the soul.

I’m a massive Scillias fan but visiting in winter can be problematic. The boat has the least cancellations but doesn’t run in winter. Planes are cancelled by high wind or low visibility so can be an issue

In the summer I would thoroughly recommend. Maybe fly from Exeter.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a winter weekend away in the UK’ is closed to new replies.