• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by llama.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend me a windproof jacket
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I want a pure windproof shell, not something with insulation (I have those already).

– relatively lightweight but not the thinnest
    – a bright colour available
    – rear pockets and roadie type cut
    – not silly money

Any suggestions?

weeksy

Mine doesn’t tick all your boxes so i won’t recommend it… but they’re honestly quite sweaty !!!! If they’re really windproof, they’re just anoraks.

Which is what mine is essentially, from Decathlon…. VERY effective, but DAMN obviously they don’t breathe at all.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mine doesn’t tick all your boxes so i won’t recommend it… but they’re honestly quite sweaty !!!! If they’re really windproof, they’re just anoraks.

I’ve been using them since ooh, 1995, both Pertex and soft shell types. They are obviously not 100% windproof, they let a small amount of air through which is why they are breathable. You have to appreciate that they are extremely effective when cycling – after all, the role of insulation is to trap air, and if the wind is blowing that away then you’ve got nothing – so it may just be that you are wearing too much insulation when using one. You need to far less insulation if you have a windproof on.

They breathe plenty well even when stationery. As evidenced by the steam pouring out of my clothes on the last night ride.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Decathlon.

BadlyWiredDog

They breathe plenty well even when stationery. As evidenced by the steam pouring out of my clothes on the last night ride.

Pertex and similar fabrics – originally Pertex was a parachute fabric I think – are windproof because they have a really tight weave and are calendared, sort of heat-glazed to keep down from leaking out. That in turn means that while they’re more breathable than coated or membrane-based fabrics, they’re often sweatier than you’d expect.

There are a few fabrics out there – Pertex Equilibrium for one – that sacrifice a little bit of wind resistance for appreciably better breathability and are maybe a better bet for anyone who runs hot. Alpkit uses a similar fabric for their Morphosis Jacket, though that has a partial thin, gridded fleece liner. Ditto Rab for the VapourRise kit.

None of which is much help, but I’d agree with Weeksy that the breathability of windproof fabrics is often overstated, particularly if you’re someone who does run warm.

molgrips
    Free Member

But like I say I am very experienced with Pertex and other windproofs, so I’m not asking about whether or not I should get one – I definitely want one, I’m just after recommendations on an actual jacket from other people who use them. What I don’t want is a jacket that has extra insulation as well as being windproof, as this is likely to make me too hot.

Thinking about it though, it may not exist, as roadies generally wear a jersey with its own pockets at all times, don’t they?

weeksy

Thinking about it though, it may not exist, as roadies generally wear a jersey with its own pockets at all times, don’t they?

That’s what i did at the weekend. Roadie jersey on for the pockets and the anorak over the top.

chiefgrooveguru

I just got a ridiculous high viz ‘windproof’ for commuting from Polaris for only £15. It’s definitely not as windproof as my Paramo one but more breathable (which makes up the lack of vents). One pocket at the back, front zip with baffle, elasticated cuffs.

molgrips
    Free Member

Thing is, I’ve not found a good long sleeved roadie jersey that can match my base layers, but they don’t have back pockets. And a roadie jersey over the top could be too warm.

Alpkit Squalline looks good, with back pocket, but according to their figures is not very breathable at all… but then these numbers seem to vary wildly…

chakaping
    Free Member

For dry road rides I really like my Endura Jetstream III.

Windproof front and arm panels, roubaix jersey on the back. With pockets.

I just tune the baselayer warmth underneath dependent on temperature. It’s fine on it’s own too.

benp1

I love a windproof jacket. I mix and match between a soft shell or a windproof shell

I have a few now but only one has a rear pocket. I have a gore contest one, has a rear zipper pocket that it packs into. Use this for MTB

I also have a Rapha one that I use on the road. Think its the classic wind jacket. Use this most days for commuting. has a couple of reflective stripes down each arm that offer a bit of stretch. Very comfy and really nicely fitted, packs down smaller than the Gore one but no rear pockets. Has a tiny one on the front that nothing fits in! Also has some nice touches like a bit of mesh around the armpit

Both have really long arms for a good roadie pose, even for me at 6’3

I find a quality windproof jacket (I love my montane litespeed for hillwalking) to be an excellent bit of kit. Cheap ones really don’t breathe that well, good ones are ace – for cut, function and quality of the fabric

richardthird

Rab Vital is a good compromise. Love the little chest popper for when zip open.

Edit chest pocket not back though.

qtip

Sportful Hot Pack range might fit the bill, apart from maybe the “not the thinnest” criteria. I’ve got the Ultralight version which is super thin, so not sure how thin the standard version is. I’m very happy with mine, but it’s used for warmer times of year. I hate the cold and it’s full thermal gear for me during the winter.

footflaps

I have this…

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-fiandre-light-norain-top-1/

Windproof and pretty waterproof on front, more breathable fabric on the back. 3 pockets, race jersey fit, high viz colours available….

bsims
    Free Member

I like my Madison zenith soft shell, its not actually that soft this makes it more robust.

https://www.madison.cc/p/zenith-men-s-softshell-jacket/cl00413

They do a hoodless version as well.

Edit: sorry, missed the rear pockets, this has none, not sure about the hoodless version though.

plus-one

You want a perfetto.

llama

perfetto+1, but just to add, depending on what you mean by insulation and silly money

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a windproof jacket’ is closed to new replies.