Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 134 total)
  • Recommend me a UK city to live in
  • lemonysam
    Free Member

Manchester is great !

In fairness, that’s also true.

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

York.

Drac

Newcastle has a rep for being pretty mental of an evening – Bigg Market etc.

It’s not the 90s anymore and the Bigg Market is only a very small part of the night life.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’m from Durham, Newcastle is just up the road & it is awesome for everything.

kayak23

St Davids. It’s beautiful…

grum
    Free Member

It’s not the 90s anymore

Not in the rest of the country anyway. 😛

Manchester is great ! That is a fact, if its grimy then grime is also great !

Don’t get me wrong – I like Manchester and it’s pretty trendy and cosmopolitan these days – it’s just not for me.

York.

Another place that’s only technically a city. If we’re including them then Lancaster is quite nice, but it’s not really what the OP is looking for.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

I would also consider if you can ride from your doorstep in any of the cities
    From many parts of Sheffield you can ride to Parkwood springs, grenoside and warncliff woods, Bolehill and rivelin valley, stanage, blackamoor and houndkirk etc etc

Most of my midweeks rides are either from my or a mates house meaning that I’m not driving for 1\2hour either way to get somewhere.

samuri
    Free Member

If I were going to live in a city, it’d be Manchester or Newcastle I reckon.

Leeds and York are nice though.

merynella
    Free Member

Cardiff, for the reasons mentioned above, plus I know for a fact there’s already one Scot living here already.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

I hated living in Aberdeen.
    Do you need to live in a city ot just ne near enough one to get the city vibe? I left Aberdeeen for Stonehaven and loved it. Ok, way not a city, but a short train or bus trip (weekend last bus back was 2AM), and even a taxi back wasn’t too bad

Loved Glasgow though

Mackem

“Gateshead seemed nice” – honestly i’ve never seen or heard those words before, even from the locals.

grum
    Free Member

I only went to the Sage TBF.

Mackem

Ha. Pains me to say it, as I’m bred to hate the mere mention of the place, Newcastle is a canny city. Not too sure about the bike riding to be honest. Plenty of good stuff within reasonable driving/train time, but wouldnt want to ride from there.

righog
    Free Member

Mackem……..Grrrrrrr 👿

As much as I love Newcastle and especially Gateshead.

If I was looking for a city to Live in that I had no ties to,Edinburgh would be top of my list

poppydiamond
    Free Member

Well all the controversy has made me definitely wanna take another look at Newcastle. Seems like the north of England getting a fair few shouts in general. Interestingly nobody’s mentioned Liverpool or Brighton which I’d heard are worth a look.

But fantastic responses folks, genuine thanks!

CHB

Liverpool is a horrendous hole. Brighton has a better choice of hole, but would not be a city of choice for me.

Drac

I’ve never found the appeal for Edinburgh every time I’ve gone found it a bit of a dump.

grum
    Free Member

I’ve never found the appeal for Edinburgh every time I’ve gone found it a bit of a dump.

😕

righog
    Free Member

You could get this impression from any city you visit, depending on which part you are in.

timber

I’m with Kayak, St Davids is my kind of city.
    Possibly not the cultural attraction the OP is after though.

Drac

You could get this impression from any city you visit, depending on which part you are in.

True but I really did find it very dirt and scruffy. My wife loves Edinburgh and seems very popular but I didn’t think it’s up to much myself.

brooess
    Free Member

I moved from Cheshire in 1991 for London and been here ever since, except for a short stint about 3 years ago when I moved to Manchester.

The main thing which hit me was the weather. I wasn’t expecting it to be great in comparison to London but it rained almost every day at some point (I was there from Sept-May)… maybe this wasn’t typical but it meant I didn’t ride anything like as often as I wanted to… (maybe I’ve just gone soft!)

righog
    Free Member

I have just re read the Op’s Brief so Edinburgh is out (Drac will be pleased)

You really do need to give Newcastle at least a try.

EDIT: OP…. I am with you on Aberdeen, I have spent a lot of time there and just could not make myself like it. I have got a lot of good friends who live there who love it, so what do I know ?

CountZero

Bristol is grim. Not Northern grim, but still grim.

Rather depends where you are. Sure, there are bits you really wouldn’t want to live, like St Paul’s, Montpelier or parts of St Werberghs, but it’s a big city.
    I would say Bath, it’s compact, easy to get around on foot, and close enough to all the major road networks, plus it’s on the main rail line to and from London and Bristol. You can easily cycle from Bath to Bristol on the Sustrans path…
    Or there are places between the two cities which give you all the advantages, without actually living in a city, like Keynsham, Bitton, Saltford.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Another vote for Cardiff.

crikey
    Free Member

Manchester.

It’s got the largest brick built structure in Europe; Stockport Viaduct.

Accept no substitutes.

Naranjada
    Free Member

Manchester has everything that you say you like.

There’s art, lots of music, theatre, independent cinema, a great university that keeps the whole place alive and on its toes, a just-out-of-the-city trail centre, Dark Peak riding from Marple or New Mills within 45 mins if you don’t live to the north of the city, great night life, swanky restaurants, China town, great pubs etc. The weather’s not brilliant and commuting can be a pain the neck.

But yeah, Hora lives here, so …

lemonysam
    Free Member

Well that’s all well and good but Newcastle (well tyneside anyway…) has the largest wooden structure in Europe – Dunston Staithes.

As anyone who’s ever watched a McMoonter shed build thread knows, wood beats brick every time.

aawrighty
    Free Member

I was born and raised in Leeds and loved the city. We moved to Newcastle upon Tyne 10 years ago. Absolutely love it. If you do move to England move anywhere north of the Pennines. Newcastle has everything you need. Close to beaches, Hour and half from lakes, Kielder, Hamsterley on your doorstep and the seven stanes are close enough for a day trip. Cracking night life and if the arts and culture thing floats your boat then the Baltic, Sage, Northern Stage, Theatres.And theres the Metro centre if you still do the shopping thing.And of course there is the Geordie factor, Friendly helpful funny canny people. You don’t get that south of pennines. Fact.

Edric64
    Free Member

+1 Bath

great place and right next to Bristol if you get bored

And only £6.80 return on the train offpeak

myti
    Free Member

Brighton! It’s brilliant. I’ve lived in Reading, Newbury and Bristol and none of them come close. Loads of culture, great pubs, great food, night life and lovely countryside and good cycling scene. Only downside is it’s ba long way to travel to proper mountains and it’s expensive for accommodation.

themilo
    Free Member

I moved from Manchester to Cardiff. Don’t do it. There is nothing to see here. Move along.

tiggs121
    Free Member

A very biased vote for EDINBURGH here. Fantastic place to live – and you can be in the hills, on the beach or on the trails in 30 mins…by bike!

A couple of hours on the train to Newcastle if you ever need reminded of why you moved to Edinburgh!

MrSmith
    Free Member

Manchester.

Accept no substitutes.

It’s provincially quaint though and tiny. The bit in the middle made of shops and offices that isn’t grim housing would fit inside Hyde park.

If it’s not London then it has to be St David’s, everything else in between is grim apart from Bath which is a nice place and plenty of money but not in a gauche northern way.

Conqueror
    Free Member

When you say St David’s I assume you mean the “city” of ~1800 people in Wales

As opposed to the Train Station in Exeter?

😛

Btw.. what is Exeter like to live in anyway?

grum
    Free Member

If it’s not London then it has to be St David’s, everything else in between is grim apart from Bath which is a nice place and plenty of money but not in a gauche northern way.

Do you affect a snobbish self-obsessed London media **** persona on here for effect or is that genuinely what you are like?

Cletus

OP out of interest what do you do? There are not many professions where you can live any where.

Anyway if you like the outdoors how about Bangor?

If I could live anywhere it would probably be San Francisco

el_boufador

I’m in Leeds, it’s great for so many reasons and I’m going nowhere else any time soon.
    Having said that I would also consider Sheffield, Bristol, Cardif, Edinburgh. Probably not Manchester, simply for the reason it rains A LOT (was raised to the south of Manx)

MrSmith
    Free Member

Do you affect a snobbish self-obsessed London media **** persona on here for effect or is that genuinely what you are like?

Purely for giggles.

grum
    Free Member

Fair enough. You do it well. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a UK city to live in’ is closed to new replies.