Recommend me a tyre combo for my longshot

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommend me a tyre combo for my longshot
  • big yim

Can anyone recommend me a pair or combo or tyres for my cotic longshot? Looking at 2.5s as thats what cotic fit. Preferably fast rolling rear and good puncture protection. Also going tubeless if that makes a difference. Looking at maxxis ardent rear at the moment but struggling for inspiration

fatgit

Hi
    I like DHF front and Aggressor rear.
    Not everyone’s choice but hey….
    Thanks
    Steve

gribble

Well, funnily enough I have just fitted a 2.6 DHF front and a 2.5 WT Aggressor rear for my 150mm forked hardtail. I did not need such big tyres, but wanted to get high volume on my non-boost bike, which has only just been built up. They do the Aggressor in a Double Down, harder wearing casing.

I think the DHF needs no introduction, but the Aggressor is supposed to be fast rolling.

@Steve fatfgit – how do you find the Aggressor as a rear. I have heard good things, but not sure how they cope in the wet.

fatgit

Hi
    I find it ok to ride most, if not all, of the year round. Swapped it for a DHR at the end of last year and it was a bit slower in terms of rollability but there was a bit more grip in proper gloop.
    We try to arrange rides to avoid real gloop though, and in just wet and splashy conditions it’s been fine.
    Just going to keep it on this year.
    Thanks
    Steve

mjsmke

DHF front and Ardent rear works well for me. Noticeably faster than the DHF/Aggressor on my other bike.

big yim

Does anyone notice a difference running 2.5 on a hardtail? In my head it should be a bit more bounce and comfortable

gribble

Thanks Steve. Have just got a hard tail in 27.5, so don’t want to switch back and forth with tyres at the moment so will try and leave them in place throughout the winter season.

mjsmike – I have that set up on my full suspension (26) currently. Ardent is very fast rolling and I have had it on the front before as well, but if used up front it is definitely better somewhere that is dry.

Big Yim – I can’t answer your comment properly yet but that is what I am hoping. I have gone for the biggest rubber I can get, to try and make the bike more comfortable. I will be trying it out tonight hopefully.

I’m running DHF and Rekon front and rear, both 2.6. I previously had 2.5 DHF and 2.4 Ardent, if I’m being honest there’s not a great deal in size, grip or rolling speed. I had a 2.5 Aggressor on the rear and found it a little dead, perhaps on a hardtail a lighter rear retains a little of the steel ‘feel’ and nimbleness? All very personal, but unless you’re riding trails that require a tougher/ grippier rear tyre I’d go with something like an Ardent over an Aggressor…

Onzadog

Those of you using the Ardent on the rear, what width rim is that on and what’s the profile like?

2.4 Ardent was quite ‘round’ in profile on a 30mm internal rim, the Rekon and Aggressor have more prominent edges so appear a little taller/ squarer on the outside edge. Maybe because they’re WT specific tyres though..?

samuelr

I like the aggressor on the back in anything other than mud. It really doesn’t like mud. I swap to a hr2 when it’s muddy.

marksnook

Running a dhf on the front and dhr on the rear of my rocketmax. Think front is 2.5 and rear 2.4 maybe.
    Maybe not the fastest but I grippy as!

niksnr

I’m running Bonty XR2 2.2 rear and XR3 2.3 front at mo. Both on i29 rims, tubeless. Solaris Max LS. Come up quite large on this rim. Haven’t burped or blown tyre off yet. Great puncture resistance and fast rolling. More than enough grip around where I am for dry summer riding (IOW. Chalky downland with forest trails). Will swap out to XR3 rear and XR4 front in the winter.

jaketurbo

Not sure for that bike, but loving aggressor rear and exo maxxterra assegai front.

Fast rolling, tons of grip / confidence on the front.

I use a DHF with Minion SS o. My soul works amazing in summer, then I put a Forekaster on the back in winter, best rear tyre I’ve ever had

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.