Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Recommend me a TV package / solution please.
  • zeesaffa
    Free Member

Can someone please recommend a package / solution for us based on our TV viewing habits?

Sky are now charging an absolute fortune and I can’t justify paying them (~ £65 per month) when I actually think about what we need.

Basically, I have a smart TV so apps built into it for streaming (Netflix, BBC iPlayer, ITV, Redbull etc).

Over and above that, I need:

1) F1 (in Ultra HD). Not sure if there is any other way to get F1 in UHD without Sky?
    2) The ability to record the F1
    3) Ability to watch the occasional Sky series such as The Last of Us.

Yep, that’s it. Not much to ask for but to get these features via Sky I have to have their base package (Sky Signature) + HD addon + Ultra HD addon + Sky Sports (£18 p/m) = £65 p/m.

It seems crazy. Is there a cheaper solution?

I’ve had a look at NOW TV but as far as I can tell I’ll lose the ability to record F1 which is a must.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

captmorgan
    Free Member

Why is the ability to record F1 a must?

Does the now tv not allow you to stream past races?

Kryton57

Find an equivalent Virgin package, phone Sky and tell them you are leaving if they don’t match it. Its just saved me £40 a month.

zeesaffa
    Free Member

Ability to record F1 is a must because I am almost never available to watch the races or qualifying live – especially as it is on at different times depending on which part of the world the race is.

I don’t think you can watch F1 races on demand on Now TV.

zeesaffa
    Free Member

Can you get F1 on Virgin? I don’t have Virgin in my area though so they would surely call me bluff!

thepurist

As a diehard F1 fan with a strong dislike for $ky, I’ve got comfortable with the C4 highlights (sponsored by RedBull). Yes you miss the ebb and flow of some races, but I’ve got good at avoiding race results until I watch their show and TBH they still cover all the main talking points – it’s only after some races that I’ll think ‘what the heck happened to drop <drivername> from 4th to 15th’ and have to go read up on the results. Use the money you save to subscribe to Joe Saward’s GP+ and you can get a really good breakdown of each race anyway.

the-muffin-man

1) F1 (in Ultra HD). Not sure if there is any other way to get F1 in UHD without Sky?
    2) The ability to record the F1

Not happening. They have F1 screwed down in the UK.

I’ve heard you can get a VPN and sign-up for F1 TV but I don’t know if this works.

I don’t think you can watch F1 races on demand on Now TV.

No you can’t – for what they charge it’s a diabolical service. Can’t even pause while watching if you want a slash.

toby1

When I binned sky I found other things to do than watch F1, I miss it a bit, but overall there’s more to life than watching all of quali and the race. This is not helpful as you are asking for something that allows you to watch it though.

With Now you can add on the Sly sports option that covers the F1 channel, so I can’t see why you wouldn’t be able to stream coverage after the event. Recording locally is effectively replaced by streaming options these days.

the-muffin-man

so I can’t see why you wouldn’t be able to stream coverage after the event.

The full race is only made available about a week after the event. They can’t really claim ‘rights’ either as they own the ruddy rights!

timmys

If you go Sky > NowTV, as well as losing recording, you are going to lose UHD. Unbelievably, in 2023, you still have to actually pay extra on NowTV to even get HD.

With your requirements I think you are going to struggle. I think your only option is to go NowTV and live with HD – and save money by only paying for a day pass on days you are available to watch it live. To replace recordings – well I’m sure there are Torrents available of races after the event, but probably not immediately, gawd knows what broadcaster it will be from (so commentary might be ‘interesting’), unlikely to be UHD, plus that whole legality thing.

zeesaffa
    Free Member

Thanks everyone 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.