Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Recommend me a Trials bike – 250 gas gas? which year?!
  • alexxx
    Free Member

I’m getting into Trials as my mates all have them now and I’m lucky enough to have some land to play on.. I’m in Morzine so sadly have to buy in France.. best I’ve found is a 250 gasgas for 1800 euro and its an 07/08.

Talking to my mate he said it sounds like an ok price (stuff here is more expensive in general) but he said the frame geometry gets shorter or is easier on the newer bikes and he said have a good think about my budget…

It looks like you can get the newer round tube frame on an 09 for about 1000e more.. is it worth it?!

Thanks – 13.5stone 5ft11 if that matters!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Have you looked on the Trails Bikes for Sale on FB? Plenty of decent well looked after bikes on there within your budget…

alexxx
    Free Member

I’m in France sadly!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I rode trials years ago & have sadly lost track of what’s what. However…..

I’m ‘official timekeeper’ for The Travers Trophy trial on Sunday as my mate runs it, It’s an S3 championship event, & his lad is a decent club rider who only rides Gassers. Tell me your budget & I’ll ask him for advice.
    Is a 250 ok for you? I know the 300’s are a handful in the wrong hands. (mate’s lad rides one & says theyr’e ‘insane’ in 5th gear over open moorland, he rides the SSDT)
    The 350 Bulto I had was a beast.
    Let me know.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Also…

https://www.trialscentral.com/

For forum & classifieds.

strugglinon
    Free Member

If you’re starting out, go for a 125. More than capable enough without hurting yourself. As with most dirt bikes, don’t go big.
    250s can be a handful, 290/300s are brutal.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Shercos/GasGas from 2010-2014 available for €1800-2400 if you can stretch that far.

Try FB.fr no doubt similar groups there.

I’m on Bultaco and Montesa in Spain FB trials pages….👍

vongassit
    Free Member

I got a clean Beta Rev3 250 back in April & it’s turned out to be a wee star. Love the one piece alloy fuel tank/frame. Really found my MTBing has complimented it especially on steep decents. A few differnet people I spoke to all said the same thing when I was looking for a bike “Get a Beta”

I was also warned about the higher CC bikes being a handfull , LOL I guess my YZ426 has desensitised me considerably. The low down tractable pull of my 08 250 is quite impressive tho 08’s have the better Keihin carb.

I paid 1600 pound from a bike shop & it was near a minter.

vongassit
    Free Member

vongassit
    Free Member

[url=https://postimages.org/]anonymous photo sharing[/url]

taxi25
    Free Member

Any chance of a quick trip back to the UK to pick something up ?
    The price difference is probably worth the cost/effort.

Pulled at random.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/581298448595439/permalink/2490691040989494/?sale_post_id=2490691040989494

Pigface
    Free Member

Gas Gas not the best put together, Scorpa are good Yamaha motor, the last of the Yamaha engine ones 2009 I think were a bit sharp power delivery wise. As said Rev 3 Beta are really good. Sherco don’t know much about.

You could down the twin shock route, must be loads of Fantics in France.

2nd hand off road bikes seem to go for more money in France, seen some ads for crazy prices on Evo Mx bikes.

alexxx
    Free Member

Thanks guys – I think a 250 is what I’ll look at, I’m sure a 125 is sensible but feel like I’d out grow it fairly quickly and too lazy with selling it on and hunting again for another bike. I’ve ridden a 250 a few times and didn’t find it too full on (I ride a 200exc and a road bike too) so have a little bit of a headstart with throttle / clutch control.

Budget I guess tops is around 2500 really.. I really need to get a French bike though as I need the Carte Grisse so I can get it insured easily and ride it on the road.

I’ve seen this for 1800e which is so far the best option I can find. Beta’s are a bit rarer out here but I was also told their build quality is better.

https://www.leboncoin.fr/motos/1671936747.htm/

I’ve looked everywhere I can think of in France – Facebook is fairly dead too.

It’s a shame in the UK you can get a 2011 for the same price with some tricked parts… but the journey home will be at least £600 + 3 days I’m not working so not really worth the drive sadly

mercuryrev

@alexxx

If you ever want to ride a trials bike in ‘competition’ in France get one with a carte gris and don’t whatever you do buy a trials bike in anywhere else but France! I live in SW France and brought over a Beta Evo, registered in the UK, and whilst it could be registered here, it was going to cost much more than selling it and getting a French bike.

Riding trials is so different to the UK, needing a road bike licence, insurance and a bike that is registered for the road. Amicale trials are getting popular, which don’t require the bikes to be registered etc., but they aren’t everywhere yet.

If you’re just messing in the woods however, then buying something without a CG should mean it’s cheaper and you could use it to force the price down.

As for which bike, go on the condition rather than the make. At your price level it’s more important what might need to be spent on a bike. Refurbing a trials bike can be very expensive, so take real care and don’t buy one that needs work unless it’s very cheap.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a Trials bike – 250 gas gas? which year?!’ is closed to new replies.