Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend me a tow bar bike rack please
  • Shackleton

We would like to get a tow bar bike rack. Ideally it will take 3 mountain bikes, have a platform for the wheels rather than dangling the bikes and fold /move out of the way for boot access when mounted.

Recommendations please?

richtea44
    Free Member

I recently got a buzz rack Quattro from roofbox.

It’s brilliant, although Ive not had anything to compare it too.

Very secure and everything locks….bike to rack and rack to towball.

Just leave a while to fix it together out of the box if you’re in a hurry as I was!!

leffeboy

Pick your budget really. I’ve got a Thule Velocompact that isn’t too heavy and folds up slightly so you can get it in the back of the car. Is easy to put on and the arms that hold the bike come off so it’s easy to thread them through the frames to get funny sized bikes on

Other makes are available

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

2nd hand aiston, doesn’t tilt but would survive a nuclear Holocaust and/or a medium sized elephant sitting on it, made by a Northerner in a shed from steel with no moving/plastic/cams to go wrong and has so far survived 2 winters of neglect in the long grass in our back garden because I got lazy and couldn’t be bothered to clear a space for it in the garage when we moved.

It does however beat the  Orange 5 by some margin when it comes to looking like its made from recycled filing cabinets.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Witter ZX503 really good rack I have the 502 2 bike version. Folds up on the car too for driving around when not in use a handy feature if you can’t be bothered taking off the rack.

https://www.chestertowbarsshop.co.uk/Mobile/MBSCProduct.asp?PdtID=21287803

hot_fiat

Atera Strada. I’ve an old DL, really good. The slide away feature is amazeballs.

Mate of mine had just bought one of the newer versions that fold up into another dimension. It’s truly awesome and has made me seriously consider upgrading mine.

bombproof german Engineering.

LMT
    Free Member

I’ve had a Thule euroway for 10 years now, bar the cabling coming loose in the motorway and a rewire it’s not let me down at all. Fits in the boot of the car justabout, has the tilt function so I can get in/out the boot. I have the 2 bike version but they do a 3.

CHB

I have a Thule Euro G5 the posh alu 3 bike one. It’s for sale as the kids have grown up. £230 collect from Leeds.

zerolight
    Free Member

I’ve been happy with my Strada. Few local trips and a 3 bike trip from Glasgow to the Dordogne.

Tiger6791

Atera Strada DL

cracking bit of kit

slowoldman

Another Thule here.

tyke
    Free Member

Just got an Atera Strada Sport and really impressed. Came with both 7 & 11 pin connectors. Folds up and fits nicely in the boot. Plenty of room to open the boot when the bikes are loaded but does also swing down if you need more room. Very secure and solid when loaded. Only shock for me was the cost of getting a tow bar fitted – as much as the bike rack!

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

I have a Atera strada dl 3 carrier, it’s great but as bikes are getting wider it won’t fit 3 bikes next to each other without them rubbing the hell out of each other.

Think the gap is 19cm between each rack so you may want to look at that to determine what rack you get.

I know I’ll be getting something like the new Thule foldable one that has a 22cm gap.

natrix
    Free Member

The important thing is to check the nose weight of your car. The loading on your towball (bike rack + bikes) should not exceed this value. I got a fairly light rack so that we were OK, the heavier racks have more features and can be a bit sturdier.  Some racks spread the bikes out, easier to load but make the car longer and harder to park etc.  One user of a one of the more compact racks said that ‘all’ you have to do is remove the pedals and the bikes fit on fine…….   Some of the rubber straps on the Thule racks have been known to melt when close to an exhaust.  I got a Buzzrack Quattro from http://www.roofbox.co.uksimilar to this one https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/buzz_rack_bb4_4_bike_wheel_support_rack_no_brp304/Qx%40w%2C6M42VAwp3%40Rb%7B~cC4ure5HXEB . We’ve had it for several years now and following a few home modifications have been very pleased with it.

hot_fiat

good point natrix. Some cars are even coming with info like this:

towball forces

tomd
    Free Member

I’ve had a StradaDL for a few years. It’s decent – I’d buy it again. Quite robust – my wife reversed it into a tree and bent it but it’s still solid and slides OK.

Wharfedale
    Free Member

Opportunist advert, I’ve got an Aiston rack for sale – https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/aiston-bike-rack-3-bike-reduced-2/

devbrix
    Free Member

Had a few tow bar mounted racks including Thule but currently have a x3 Whispbar which is the best one I’ve had by a mile. Really well designed, lighter and can slide wheel carriers in so can put into the boot if required. Drops on to the towbar and fixes with one click and tilts right out the way with a quick press of your foot on a lever for boot access. Main downside is it’s expensive. https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/whispbar_3_bike_tow_bar_carrier_no_wbt31/Qx%40w%2C6M42VAwp3%40Rb%7B~cC4urewHNE2

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a tow bar bike rack please’ is closed to new replies.