Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Recommend me a technical rucksack
  • footflaps

My 20 year old 30 litre-ish climbing / hill walking sack is falling apart – so I'm looking for a new one. Not really that up on outdoor gear any more – any top tips?

Not that fussed about spec other than reasonable weight, some form of frame / stiffener and possibly bladder pocket…

problem_child
    Free Member

look at crux their not cheap but very good.

Grimy
    Free Member

I have a forclaz 30 from decathelon. £35 and bloody brilliant. Nice big hard wearing foam pads keep the pack off your bag and allow ventilation and has a removable steal reinforcing bar down the center. Bladder compatable with a thin devider in the main sack for it to be stashed as well as all the pipe routing. 30 littres as you want, but comes with well designed straps for compressing it down to a very thin pack if traveling light. great little stash pokets on the waist belt, and a rain hud folded away in a zip pocket in the base of the bag. Ive used mine for riding a lot too and its very hard wearing. Extreamly good value for money I think.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/forclaz-30-air-3230782/#

Surfr
    Free Member

Osprey get rave reviews but they are pricey

london_lady
    Free Member

Look at the Inov-8 packs. I have the 18L pack for riding – the bladder pocket is at the base of the pack so sits on your hips – can be found in runnng shops as well as outdoor shops.
    http://www.inov-8.com/Products.asp?PG=PG2&L=26

sockpuppet

+1 for osprey

dmiller
    Free Member

Osprey will sort you out. 🙂

Gordy
    Free Member

I wouldn't buy without trying it on but OMM are well worth a look.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I've used a Dueter pack for around 15 years now and it's still going strong not too dear either.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Look at Macpac sacks aswell, I've always found the harness systems on them are very good. It's one of the few sacks I've not suffered from back ache at the end of the day.

senorj

sorry to hijack , but i fancy one of the osprey raptors.
    does anyone know of a place in london that stocks them?
    i would prefer to try before i buy.

j.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I have both 20L & 30L versions of this: http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/Travel_Trekking/Travel_Bags_Rucksacks/sc1327/p159.aspx

Your local shop may have the 30L still in stock – it's cheap, well made & with plenty of features. I managed to get them on the cheap but i'd have been happy paying full price.

matt_outandabout

Lots of my staff have Ospreys – they do look good, but are not *that* robust really.
    If I was buying again, it would be a Macpac or Lowe Alpine. My old Lowe Alpine is 17 years old, used almost daily at times and has finally worn through in places so is now my gorge walking sac. It is a simple, narrow pack with few 'bells n whistles'.
    Mates have Macpacs of similar age, all of which are going strong with the advantage of a super comfy harness system. With Macpacs it seems the harness / backs wear through before the fabric.

Dudie
    Free Member

Check out the Berghaus Arete 35 – tough, cheap, basic climber's sack that is very versatile. Comfortable, light and will take a bladder.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Another Macpac recomendation.

boblo
    Free Member

Only trouble with Macpac and Lowe is they're blummin heavy… But they do last half a millenium. I have Lowe Snowpeak, must be 15 years old and just broken in.

If you want a bargain that's l/w, the Boghouse Arete's are worth a look. They do 35l and 45l if you need a bit more capacity.

footflaps

cool – will take a look at some of those recommendations

Random googling has thrown up the TNF Fulcrum 35 and Black Diamond Speed 30 as well…

flatfish
    Free Member

osprey talon +5

dmiller
    Free Member

osprey talon +5

I use a talon 33 for commuting. Its two years old and still going strong! Its very comfy and will take a huge amount of stuff in it… I love it!

Bream
    Free Member

I bought an Osprey Exos earlier last year and it has been absolutely fantastic. This is very techy pack, lightweight but not weak, also ventulated for a cooler back. Very impressed and would buy one again without a shadow of doubt. Not cheap mind.

Osprey Exos

epicsteve
    Free Member

OMM

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a technical rucksack’ is closed to new replies.