Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Recommend me a softshell
  • danielgroves
    Free Member

Willing to spend up to £100. I’m tall a skinny with long arms, a good fit is important for me so anything with long sleeves really. Mainly want it for keeping the wind off over the summer months when out on the bike, but will probably end up wearing it casually as well sometimes.

What would you go for?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

haglofs

i’ve got this, and i can vouch for its long sleevness and comfort and good looks

Vortexracing

I really rate the Gore Phantom

RichieBoy
    Free Member

Pearl Izumi Elite has very long arms…

matty456
    Free Member

Just bought a dare 2 be soft shell, hood and long sleves, slim fit, black with green detail. Got it from go outdoors £30! Bargain from gooutdoors.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I just got a Craghoppers soft shell from Go Outdoors for £50.

It looks and feels nice. Also got a Dare 2 Be soft shell, sale online fora bargain £20 delivered but it doesn’t fit just as all as the Craghopper one does.

mrbotticelli

Picked up one of these Tog24 softshells in the Keswick shop for £20 the Saturday before last.

Nice and warm in the snow on top of Causey Pike last Thursday, and in the pub back home tonight 🙂

RS4KEV

+1 for the Gore

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Yep,for bike specific my Gore Phantom is great and I’m lanky with long arms.

dogman
    Free Member

Gore

tonyd

Gore. Haglofs is nice kit also though.

When you say you want it to keep the wind off through the summer, are you sure about that? My Gore does me through the winter with not much underneath, not sure you’d need one through the summer.

BadlyWiredDog

Arc’teryx Gamma SL Hybrid Hoody – out of your price range, but lovely. The Gore Windstopper soft shell stuff is way too warm for summer use on a bike. You want something without a membrane.

nick1962
    Free Member

not sure you’d need one through the summer.

Softshell for anytime of the year except summer surely?

BadlyWiredDog

Or this… hadn’t seen that before 🙂 Or maybe not.

Actually, have a look at the Rab Boreas which is spot on for a summer soft shell, not much to it, but decent for keeping the sun off and a bit of wind resistance. This.

Vortexracing

Actually, have a look at the Rab Boreas which is spot on for a summer soft shell

I have one of these as well, a truly great bit of kit, it’s amazing how something so light can keep the wind out and breath so well.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

If its for summer then you probably want a very lightweight softshell or even just a wind shirt. Have a look at the Haglofs Lizard Jacket/Top.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Patagonia stuff is amazing quality, other options are available.

I suggest buying ANYTHING from itchyfeet.com – I worked for them, lovely people, really know their stuff.

IanW
    Free Member

I have a north face one that’s incredibly versatile and gets used loads, only bad thing about it having north face written all over it.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Well, I expected one or two responses so this is great, thanks everyone. 😀

The Haglofs Lizard does look good, and given the build of there stuff I shall be going and finding one of those to try on somewhere I think. I always forget Gore do clothing, so thats another good shout. Arc’teryx stuff is lovely as well, but as said out of the price range. Wish I could afford there kit.

When you say you want it to keep the wind off through the summer, are you sure about that? My Gore does me through the winter with not much underneath, not sure you’d need one through the summer.

I suppose this all depends on how you define the ‘summer’ given we live in the UK so I shall clarify. Basicly I just need something that will deal with light showers and keep the wind off.

I would just stick the GoreTex on but I find that I sweat a lot and it all just condenses inside faster than the membrane can deal with it. Naturally I wouldn’t expect the softshell to deal with extended or heavy rain, afterall this is what GoreTex is for.

Whatever I get will probably end up getting used when walking as well. I spend a lot of time in the Lake District and the Scottish highlands – unfortunately the rest of the family can’t keep up on when I’m on a bike 😉

I suppose my other issue with wearing GoreTex on the bike all the time is it’s relatively high maintenance. Can’t just chuck it in the wash with the rest of the kit, need to do it separately and then reproof etc.

itchyfeet.com – I worked for them

Ah! A Bath person, or an ex-Bath person?

chrisdw
    Free Member

I have an Outdoor Research Ferrosi jacket that I use for the summer. It’s really thin (not fragile, Had a good few offs in mine and just chuck it in the wash afterwards), really stretchy and has a hood too which is useful.

Best part is I picked it up from field and Trek for about £40. The new colour is £60 tho… http://bit.ly/ZzgrQ1

I am also tall and skinny and fit is perfick.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

itchyfeet.com – I worked for them
    Ah! A Bath person, or an ex-Bath person?

London shop, just for a few months, until the landlords changed and the rent went through the roof. Crying shame.

warpcow
    Free Member

I picked up a couple of Marmot Tempos (one with hood, one without) for about £40 each in the winter sales. Can’t say enough good things about them. Really breathable, and more water resistant than you’d expect too. The jacket (hoodless) one has slightly lighter material on the arms, which seems to regulate my temperature nicely. Despite being a sweaty bastard, I never feel like I’m overheating like I have with every Gore and Endura jacket I’ve had. Depending on what I have underneath I’ve happily used them from +10 to -10 degrees so far.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Yep, Marmot’s good value stuff.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Pearl Izumi P.R.O, because you’re worth it!

I have the Select (used for commuting and MTB). I had the Elite before, but I sold it because I lost weight. It was pretty good too. Nice and long in the sleeves and toasty as a toasty thing and waterproof to boot!

The Elite is great, but the P.R.O is a better fit if you’re skinny.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Just got back from Gi Outdoors, decided to try one of the dare2be ones matty456 recommended. For the price they certainly seem well made, and are extremely long. Seems to be a pretty good fit for me so I shall see how well this lasts.

Would rather have splashed out on a Haglofs or similar, but figured one of these has got to be worth a punt for the amount I just saved.

Thanks for the advice/suggestions everyone 😀

matty456
    Free Member

Happy to help.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a softshell’ is closed to new replies.