Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Recommend me a small dog please (JRT?)
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

OH is keen on a Jack Russell
    We have kids and cats
    Any recommendations or horror stories?
    Or is a JRT the default and best choice?

bikeytom
    Free Member

I love my short legged Jack Russell, but I am fully aware that they are not for everyone; she can bark a fair amount when excited and she has been very hard to train. We couldn’t walk her off the lead and be confident that she’d come straight back when called until she was 3 years old. That being said I very much doubt you’ll find a dog with more character or which is likely to make you laugh as often.
    As far as being around children is concerned mine comes to school with me occasionally now and gets on well with the kids. She lived peacefully with a cat for the first few years of her life too, they mostly kept out of each others way.
    Overal I’d recommend a JRT so long as your willing/able to put in the training time and don’t mind a bit of barking at microwave pinging/doorbell etc…

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

How about a Morkie? Friendly, sociable little teddy bears. Its a Maltese/Yorkshire Terrier cross, make good family dogs. Well, the one I know does.

PePPeR

I always thought that along with the Bombers and weeing in peoples shoes, the STW dog of choice is a Border Terrier?

My daughter has a black and tan parsons jack russell and it’s now 8 years old and is still the most wearisome dog I have ever known, it does not sit still ever and will run the legs off anything else it goes for walks with!

I must admit I do prefer the parsons version with its longer legs!

khani
    Free Member

Poodle..In medium..preferably chocolate brown, ours thinks he’s a cat…

Don’t cut it’s fur so it looks like a ****!…. 😀

Albanach
    Free Member

Had a west highland terrier growing up – class wee dog mild mannered non-barky and very good around kids etc. Dad has another one now and very friendly and easy to keep but his has become a wee bit barky but only at people entering the property which isn’t such a bad thing.

thegreatape
    Free Member

We’ve got one, great dog, ace with kids. I’d definitely have another.

Andy-W
    Free Member

JRT , keep it happy wih lots of walks n stuff and you will be a very happy chappy !!

Spaceman
    Free Member

I’d highly recommend a Parsons Russell Terrier, like a big JRT with longer legs.
    We’ve had ours, Eddie for a while and he’s a great dog, not at all nippy, and good with kids. A PRT is a good choice for a small biking dog, Eddie has no trouble keeping up on a longish XC ride, although he prefers DH I think! Here he is at the top of the best trail in the Tweed valley!

[/url] eddie

chrisdw
    Free Member

Border terriers are cool!

I don’t like small dog’s generally. But I have seen a few border terriers with nice temperaments.

tinribz
    Free Member

Obviously you never leave any dog alone with small kids but I had a Border since before the kids were born till they were 10+ and there were never any incidents even as babies. Would decline to comment on the cat front.

A m8 had a JRT and similar story although I always find Borders to be a lot less excitable. Eddie ^ looks pretty chilled though.

Quite like the look of Irish Terriers, almost medium size though and never met one.

anagallis_arvensis

Whippet. Non shedding, don’t bark, don’t need hours of exercise, don’t fight with other dogs, nasty dogs can’t catch them to hurt them and best of all are magical to watch in full flight.

Gowrie
    Free Member

Cairn Terrier – like a smarter version of a Westie without the inherited health problems.

chaz
    Free Member

has to be a border terrier, i have two a cat and a 2yr child the dogs are around 4 and 5 and are very good never bother with cat infact they clean each other and lets my child walk her round the house dragging her by her coller and is happy to let her do it, even when we are at the horses fields sorting them out they dont piss off which is very good as its near a main road

stevebrc
    Free Member

We have two Cairns now, brother and sister. Brilliant wee dogs. Great with kids, immense energy, like to play rough but never go OTT. They are barky, but always in a friendly manner.

jack, the older, is four now, comes to work on the days when I drive, also comes out on most rides with me and can run foe ever. Bonney his wee sister is 5 months and a minx, but she’s a pup, so to be expected.

I’ve had other Cairns in the past and they’ve always been very healthy dogs that have never had any medical issues. cairns are the same family as westies, but as their coat is somewhat courser and they are not commonly a pure colour they are not a popular “trendy” breed, meaning they’re not inbred or any of that nonsense, so generally they’re stronger and healthier than the trendy breeds.

They are quite small, but are extremely strong, and very fast, and require a lot of walking, maybe something to bear in mind.

unovolo
    Free Member

Left field choice….. a Griffon

No idea what there like as I have only ever met 1 in the flesh ,but look at that face……

sm
    Free Member

I would recommend a West Highland Terrier. We had one for 16 years, when we lost her we brought another who is now three and now we have another (5 months old ). They are great little dogs and so loving, obedient etc…. Get one!

lord
    Free Member

we have a pug , hes a really great family dog , very smart , great with our 3 cats and hes not been a bit of trouble , hes happy walking for hours or quite happy sleeping and farting (common pug problem)i can pass on the breader details if you need , cheers 😀

darrell
    Free Member

Can only be a Border Terrier

willard

Cocker spaniel. Small, loveable, affectionate (our’s is at least) and loves running out with the bike.

Or a cockerpoo like our neighbours have got. Like a cocker, but a little less ad and a lot less sheddy.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

I like the look of miniature pinschers, but I don’t know enough about their temperament to be able to recommend them.

sparkyrhino

Yorkshire terrier , you can have the one that lives a couple of doors down from me ,the yappie little sh*t.
    Give me your address and i will post to you f.o.c

Big-Pete
    Free Member

Working Cocker, fantastic temperament, intelligent, loving and will run for miles

stevebrc
    Free Member

My older cairn jack hates cocker spaniels. He get alone with most breeds, but not cockers. When he sees one he goes mental, as do the cockers. Maybe he’s racist.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a small dog please (JRT?)’ is closed to new replies.