Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recommend me a seatpost mounted rack for touring (please)
  • bajsyckel

‘Tis the season after all. I can’t really find any good reviews of seatpost mounted racks for off road (and on) touring using google. I’m sure I’ve read reports on here and seen pics of people using them, but I cant find any using the search function. Has anyone used a seatpost mounted rack successfully for touring? I don’t want/can’t use mounts on one frame. It’s not necessary that it can carry loads of weight, but must be a decent design that handles a bit of abuse when necessary. Ideally cheap (and light) too. Can anyone recommend anything from experience?

MSP

They are absolute crap.

bajsyckel

hahaha… OK. well, I don’t have that many alternatives as one of the frames I want to use will have no mounts and I don’t need the capacity/weight of a trailer. Framebags don’t have the volume without being obstructive when carrying. Any other suggestions?

Waderider
    Free Member

I did a weeks mountain bike touring in Sutherland, with two pals a few years ago. They had two leading brand seatpost mounted racks, I had a traditional rack.

Both seatpost racks broke in-spite of being loaded well below the reccommended limits. To be fair I think it was the dynamic loads from off roading that killed them. One clamp failure and one weld failure.

carlosg
    Free Member

Buy a proper rack and some C-clips to fasten it on with.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have a halfords one – only used for one outing with little weight offroad – which it was surprisingly good for. it is a heavy piece of kit. Also used to carry a full size desktop computer in its box back from the shop 5 miles away

However – If I was going to use a rack for offroad touring I would use a proper one. You can get adaptors to make it fit any frame. Axle mount, seat clamp mounts, clamps in a variety of fittings

Tubus are the best but Old man mountain have some adaptable kit as well.

http://www.tubus.com/en/spares-and-accessories

http://dysons-cycles.co.uk/product/2/2170/M-Part-Seat-Clamp-Rack-Mount.html

Nick

Couple of friends of mine successfully used them on last years WRT, so they can work fine. Think they had the Topeak ones.

bajsyckel

Ok… Thanks for the responses so far. Pretty much what I guessed. Surely somebody must have made something that doesn’t fail though…? I should say this isn’t for extended tours with much kit – but short 3/4 dayers with minimal gear. Still not looking promising.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I can’t really find any good reviews of seatpost mounted racks for off road (and on) touring using google.

That because they are shit.

Try old man mountain racks.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Seatpost mounted rack = carradice long flap camper

Only any good if you have a propper saddle ( brooks) or run their silly adapter

bajsyckel

Quick bump to ask if anyone has tried the Carradice SQR series? Look like they may be worth investigating(but out of stock everywhere)…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a seatpost mounted rack for touring (please)’ is closed to new replies.