• This topic has 27 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Recommend me a saddle
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Hi, been using a gobi wingflex xm on my hard tail, but as I now ride my full Suss more I spend more time seated and I find the gobi gives me numbness in the gentlemans area 😳

So I guess it’s new saddle time, now I know it’s a personal choice so I would just like to know what people are using. Saw some good prices on Ragley saddles..budget of £35

Thank you.

mtbfix

I’ve just moved to a Charge Spoon from a Gobi, mainly due to budget reasons. It is really very comfy, as in you don’t notice it at all.

matt_outandabout

Try out a couple of mates saddles – even a few miles will give you an idea.
    I like Charge spoons (cheaper but identical from Madison), but have a Charge Pan at the moment, and most of SDG’s seats.

mickolas
    Free Member

+1 for spoon. use it on the road and spend about 2-2.5 hrs on it daily

amplebrew

Just on the Gobi, is it the Kium railed version?

I had a standard Gobi that came on a bike a while ago and it was terrible.

I now run a Kium railed version and find it really comfy; it’s like a completely different seat.

peteimpreza

The only advice worth a damn is:-

“The one that fits your arse”

Try before you buy, a goofd LBS will let you try a few and some makers have a money back guarantee.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

It’s the wing flex kium one… I guess on the hardtail I was up and down off the saddle a bit more but on the full Suss it’s really uncomfortable.
    The spoons look great value, what are they like for durability?

06awjudd
    Free Member

+1 for the spoon

amplebrew

Maybe try a slightly different angle on the seat.

I have to run mine completely flat (checked with a spirit level) or I end up with discomfort.

Even just the slightest variation can make a huge difference to my comfort.

dobo
    Free Member

yer my spoon has been comfy on the CX bike, not particularly light or heavy, my other bike has a sdg bel air i think

smaca
    Free Member

Had the OEM Scott for 5 years and surprisingly it was good. It finally started creaking so badly I had to retire it.

I have a Selle Italia SLR on my road bike and it is very comfy, so I bought an SLR Trail for my full susser and it’s horrid. 🙁

I have the Charge Spoon on my commuter and it’s OK, and the On-One Big Nose on my Fat bike which is a bit padded / wide at the wings for my tastes.

As you say it’s personal preference, but trying out loads of saddles could get expensive 🙁

johnj2000
    Free Member

I have a spoon and it gives me numbness in my man area after a while. I have to angle it down to minimise the problem, other than that to good on the backside.

Baldysquirt

Go to 18bikes in Hope and try a few out on their demo sdg saddle fleet.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

interesting – I’d have thought those two SLRs would be very similar.

I’m a big fan of the SLR T1 Big fat nose to sit on when you’re climbing.

06awjudd
    Free Member

Tempted!

This is the Selle Italia I get on with:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-selle-italia-slr-135g-saddle-3

This is the one I hate:
    http://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-saddles-seatposts/selle-italia-slr-xc-bicycle-saddle/10775588.html?utm_source=googleprod&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=gp_sports&affil=thggpsad&&affil=thgppc&gclid=CPrj2KzIubcCFVMbtAodY0wABQ

That On One deal might be worth a gamble!

If you’re in the market for a new saddle go for it! Can’t really go wrong, and at an RRP of £120, it can’t be a bad saddle.

06awjudd
    Free Member

also, look at the review for what I presume is its slightly heavier brother :
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/selle-italia-slr-xp-saddle-with-vanox-rails/

mickolas
    Free Member

monkeysfeet, I have put around 7000 miles on my spoon in just over a year with no visible signs of wear. none. possibly the logo has faded slightly…

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Cheers mickolas. The Selle italia looks good value, not sure how it would look on a green bike tho 😉

smaca
    Free Member

interesting – I’d have thought those two SLRs would be very similar.

That’s what I figured. Both fit fine (i.e. no rubbing / numbness) The road one is just a bit more compliant. Maybe it’s the Ti rails ?

P.S. I know I sound like the princess and the pea 🙂

johnj2000
    Free Member

Bought one from on one. Will report back on knob numbage levels.

johnj2000
    Free Member

When I say bought one, I mean one of the carbon slr Xp thingymijigs

sleigh62
    Free Member

SDG Bel Air for me … tried a number of others including the Spoon and the Gobi … always found them a bit hard, especially on longer rides.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Well now I feel like a right numpty don’t I! Just went to pop the new SLR seat only to find it has a monolink fitting and I have standard seat posts. Back in the post to On One tomorrow.

spectabilis
    Free Member

I’ve been using the Ragley natural for a while now. had doubts about it when I first got it but quickly found it to be the most comfortable saddle I’ve ever used. I ride a HT by the way.

mangatank
    Free Member

I ran a Ritchey WCS for 10 years. A brilliant saddle, but It finally wore though to the foam a month ago. I didn’t think I’d find one that good in terms of comfort, but I replaced it with a leather Spoon with Ti rails. It’s hands down the best saddle I’ve ever used. A revelation. Great support, great suspension and fantastic thigh control. A design classic.

kcal

ProLogo for me. Can’t fault it. Vertigo Max IIRC.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a saddle’ is closed to new replies.