Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Recommend me a running tracker thingy watch
  • kayak23

Not me actually, but my other half.

She’s after some sort of tracker for her running. She wants to know what distance she’s doing most of all, but I suppose any other stats might become something she likes to view.

A woman running recently…

She’s not what you might call technologically gifted so it’s got to be fairly simple and intuitive.

She’ll spend maybe £100 to £150.

Any ideas folks?

Cheers.

petec
    Free Member

have a look on here https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/outlet/

My wife uses one; just a basic spark. Obviously not as good as a garmin\suunto etc, but seems accurate enough. They were doing free spare straps recently as TomTom have given up on watches (hence the reductions).

And for ladies (or men!) of smaller stature, you can get two different sizes of strap.

Leku
    Free Member

Garmin 35 here. Simple to use. Happy with mine.

scotroutes

I just bought a Forerunner 35. Happy with it. Works standalone or sync it to Connect on a smartphone for more geeky stats. I’m currently looking at my sleep data…..

I haven’t worn a watch in years but I’m finding it comfy and unobtrusive enough to ignore.

lunge

3rd Garmin FR 35, plenty of geeky stuff in there if she so desires but if not it’s a simple running watch that doesn’t look too horrendous if worn when not running.

kayak23

Sleep data? Interesting.

3rd Garmin FR 35

3rd? Not much longevity then, or did you smash them up? 😊

dmorts

I’ve got a cheaper* Garmin, a Vivosmart HR+. Good functionality and waterproof but gps tracking not quite as accurate as a phone. The band on the strap broke recently, I.e. the loop that holds the loose end. Made me curious about replacement straps, genuine replacements are almost as much as the watch.

Edit

*seems a similar price to the Forerunner 35

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I have a TomTom, much better than Garmin IMO. ie more accurate, gets signal quicker.

Have a look at the Wiggle PSA too.

brant
    Free Member

I got a £99 Forerunner 30 recently for my first tracker. Seems good.

Showed it to my mate who needed a new tracker. He bought one and rates it too.

I got my dad one for his birthday. He rates it.

My mate is a multi gold medal winning cycling Paralympian and cycling World Champion but maybe you need something better.

unovolo
    Free Member

I have a Xiaomi/Huami Amazfit Bip for tracking bike rides and it works surprisingly well, it will track running and other sports to, has GPs and built in heart rate monitor and battery life is phenomenal, only charge it once every 2/3weeks and I wear it all day everyday.

Cost between £50 and £60, mine was from Aliexpress but Gearbest and others  sell them too.

dovebiker

Tom Tom on the basis you want something easy to use and not having to use Garmin’s awful, clunky software. I have 2 Garmins that lie unused because of the problems I have uploading to Garmin Connect / failing to recognise the device, the annoying software updater pop-ups etc etc.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve had the odd issue, but the software these days is miles better than it used to be. My ride/run auto ploads to strava before I have my bike away, or running shoes off (vivoactive HR)

IHN

If she’s interested in a Fitbit Blaze, we have one in the cupboard doing nothing that she could have for considerably less than her stated budget.

dirkpitt74

Does the Lezyne one work on a treadmill?

Spec says ‘lifestyle’ mode using built in accelerometer as a pedometer – anyone know if it work well on a treadmill?

johndoh
    Free Member

The Blaze is good but she’ll need to have it connected to a phone as it doesn’t have built-in GPS. I use one and have it connected to my Strava account too but I always run/ride with my phone.

I like the look of the Fitbit Versa though and may end up getting one at some point in the future – that has built-in GPS and pretty much all the functions you’d expect from a smart watch.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

have a look on here https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/outlet/

I like my TomTom. Fairly small, pretty basic with HRM and tracking, but a few different sports modes. Picks up a little faster than the older Garmin I had and is very simple to use. Strap is secure and fits my skinny wrist. I’d buy another.

Minor downsides? Screen hasn’t got anything proud of it so can scratch. I catch the control ‘button’ while stretching my shoulders after a ride(!) I need to buy a new cable as one of the ‘prongs’ has bent.

But that’s about it.

kayak23

Some great ideas thanks folks. Narrows it down a bit. Built in gps is a must I think as she wants to run without the phone ideally.

The Garmin 30 and 35 have about thirty quid difference but haven’t studied the difference yet.

epicsteve
    Free Member

You can get the Vivoactive HR for just under £150 now.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There’s a garmin vivosport in purple on amazon for 105 quid atm, bit slimmer than the others above, but does GPS/HR and running pace etc…

kayak23

What’s the difference between that and the f30 f35?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Dunno, I have a vivoactive, but it looks huge on my wifes wrist, like a curfew tag!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a running tracker thingy watch’ is closed to new replies.