Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Recommend me a running top
  • johndoh
    Free Member

I have finally conceded that running in my waterproof (but not breathable) Castelli cycling top isn’t the best idea given the fit is odd (it rides up to my waist when running being designed to be worn whilst riding a bike) and it also get a bit sweaty.

So, without wanting to spend loads, what windproof/water resistant top would STW recommend?

jeffl

I just use a technical t-shirt I use for riding the bike as well. Only generally run for up to an hour. I’d suggest popping down to decathlon if you want something specific.

oikeith

If torrential rain I dont go out, anthing else just a wicking top and if cold a base layer too and maybe gloves, I get really hot when running so any waterproof or windproof will cook me! If raining I also run routes close to home or car so if something happens not stranded in the conditions. I get my sports tops from TK.

scruff9252

As above, I don’t wear a waterproof. If it’s minging then I have a very thin softshell gilet which keeps the cold rain off my chest but still not overheat

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

LS compression tops, unless it’s really warm. I wear a light waterproof shell if I’m going long and slow training runs in cold conditions.

Decathlon is the answer really.

scruff9252

Also worth noting, their football brand (kipster) base layers have a different and longer cut than their running stuff. If your remotely tall you may find a better fit.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, kipsta tops are ace.

peekay

Also as above. I have run a lot, and have never found any jacket that works better than not not wearing a jacket.

I usually just wear a wicking T-Shirt. If cold then a Helly Hansen Lifa, with a T-shirt over the top. If very cold then a merino Helly Hansen Lifa with a t-shirt over the top.

I find that this also works very well in rain, keeping me warm and without chafing. In very heavy rain, I’ll just wait 30 minutes before setting off, heavy rain rarely lasts.

*Disclaimer – if you are heading out across remote areas of moors/mountains then you might want to carry a shell.

johndoh
    Free Member

Hmm, good points – perhaps I’ll just stick with a long sleeved base layer over my normal ‘technical’ tee-shirt. It’s an odd one as I have done lots of winter running so have a suitable warm jacket for that but I am preparing for a race in June which means spring evening runs which I haven’t really done before – too warm for my winter jacket but too cool for just short sleeves.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s something most folk struggle with when they start running in events, it’s better to be too cold for a bit pre-race, hanging about, than it is to be too hot when the race actually starts, or end up with a jacket around your waist, which will do your tits in.

trail_rat
    Free Member

planet x do long bodied base layers cheap that i find work grand and come in a variety of sleeve lengths.

If its cooler i often wear either windproof or insulated gilet.

IF its heavy rain i wear my Columbia Caldorado outdry shell other wise i just get wet.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I like fairly well fitted tops – I bought a Salomon one years ago, that only the last twelve months have I been (relatively!) slim enough not to be too embarrassed being seen wearing it. In fact, I’d forgotten I even had it until I was hunting around for something else and it re-appeared. The one thing it does have is a zip that comes down half-way which is handy for ventilation and is quite cooling when pulled down.

Over the winter, I’ve worn a HH Lifa with a fitted running top over but thankfully it seems that it’ll just be single-layer for me for the rest of the Spring. Toight is best I think and also feels quite sexy.

But for me, fitted is better – any movement equals chaffing and that’s just **** horrible.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Ronhill is a good and good value choice for anything to do with running.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m amazed at the cost of Ronhill stuff nowadays, and why anyone would pick it over Decathlon stuff, £40 for a tech tee? really?.

mrb123
    Free Member

Helly Hansen long sleeved base layer and a Gore running wear soft shell gilet for when it’s cold or wet.

Weasel
    Free Member

Unless I’m wearing a compression top as a base layer in the winter I always have 3M medical tape on my nips to stop chaffing when running.

surfer
    Free Member

£40 for a tech tee?

Agree, the cost of “specific” running gear is ridiculous. RH stuff is as good as anything else but they will all be half price or less in a few months. I just buy last years… I think they just chance their arm.

brassneck

Sports Direct Karrimor stuff is perfectly OK, or decathlon. Worth having a couple as you’ll need to wash between uses – need not prefer!

Being too hot – I wamred up for the start of the great South last year with longs, a base etc.
    My wife (the better more experienced runner) said you’ll be too hot and had me down to 118 shorts and vest. She was very very right. I’d trained in all that clobber, but obviously wasn’t trying hard enough.

lunge

I have run a lot, and have never found any jacket that works better than not not wearing a jacket.

This.
    I got really warm when running so anything above about 6 or 7 degrees and it’s just a standard running top for me. If it’s raining and cold I’ll likely have one of the Kipsa long sleeved base layers on, but I’m soaked with sweat within 15 mins of starting so have never bothered with a rain jacket. And arm warmers are good too, I wear them a lot.

Be bold, start cold!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The only thing I have other than t- or long sleeved tops is an ultra-thin gilet type thing from North Face – think I picked it up for half nothing a few years ago – it’s lightly wind-proof at the front and all mesh at the back. That has been useful at times in a bitingly cold wind. I have a waterproof shell which is absolutely awful to run in. I’ve only kept it as I’ll need to carry something like it as “compulsory kit” on a few races this year. I hope to **** I don’t have to actually put it on. The only unpleasant bit about being wet is the getting there. Once you’re wet, then it’s not a bother anymore.

peekay

The only unpleasant bit about being wet is the getting there. Once you’re wet, then it’s not a bother anymore.

Very true, I like that.

zippykona

Are there any long sleeve tops with a napoleon pocket to stick my phone in? If it’s in a bum bag or arm band I can’t easily change songs.

Long sleeves so I can mop the sweat off my head.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a running top’ is closed to new replies.