Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Recommend me a record player on a budget
  • eatmorepizza
    Free Member

Been on and off with this for a few years as its a minefield from the outside looking in, I work from home 5 days a week and listen to a lot of music when working outside of meetings currently on a Google Nest Mini speaker which isn’t great, sometimes use my Sony WH-100xm4’s for good audio quality but hate wearing headphones all day, to put a bit more perspective on things I used to dabble with producing and DJ’ing years ago and had 2x KRK Rokit RP8 studio monitors which I thought gave incredibly good audio quality.

So, for the office, space is limited, I’d want it to fit on top of some drawers 72cm wide 48cm deep for the truntable and speakers, there is a huge bunch of records in the loft inherited from my wifes mother which are collecting dust so will have pelnty to listen to initially, I also only have a budget of circa £250-£300 for everything, I know I won’t get top tier audio quality with that budget but as long as it’s somewhat comparable to my Sony headphones (if that’s possible with this budget?) then I’d be happy. I know listening on full blast vibration could affect the needle skipping but I won’t be blasting the volume.

So, recommendations?

the-muffin-man

A HiFi thread – Hobnob anyone!!? 🤣 🤣

grantyboy
    Free Member

rega planner 1, get the plus if you can as it has the preamps built in so you you just plug into speakers.

honourablegeorge

This is apparently quite good for the money, even moreso that it’s on sale right now, and has bluetooth built in, so might be a good spacesaver paired direct to your headphones

Past that – whatever Rega or Project turntable is in budget.

FB-ATB

My daughter got an Audio Technica LP60 this week. Although not a patch on my Pink Triangle set up I thought it was pretty good for the money.
    If you’re working & listening to music, are you prepared to change the record over every 20 mins? That was the big shock for my daughter that you can’t skip tracks, listen to 2 songs then play  another artist easily!

grantyboy
    Free Member

my girlfriend has that House of Marley, its not a patch on my Rega Planner 1 plus

sc-xc

As above, Rega RP1 (manual speed change which never bothered me) or whatever Pro-Ject or AT is at that price point.

I wouldn’t bother with Bluetooth, you’re presumably doing this to listen to an analogue sound.

As for the vibrations, just get a cheap chopping board and stick some feet on. I’ve done it to my ancient PL-12D in the office

PXL_20240216_103007862.MP

midlifecrashes

Since you’ve been a DJ/dabbler in the past, then grab a Numark PT-01 Scratch and a pair of Edifier active speakers and job’s a good’un.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is used as good value as it used to be? I see quite a few Regas and Projekts come up on FB.

A relatively safe buy with almost nothing to go wrong.

winston
    Free Member

I bought my P1 Plus from a rega seller on ebay open box for £250 – it was immaculate. rega also do a wall bracket which might help in your situation?

The plus is fantastic (for the price), I just wish they had put in a way to defeat the phone stage as it limits experimentation.

The Project range should have something and they are always pretty dependable.

This is pretty good: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266173246386

Do not under any circumstances get the House of marley or other cheap makes like JAM etc – they really are appalling.

binners

Mrs Binners bought me one of these a few years ago. A Lenco LS-300 I think it ticks all your boxes. Its sat on a shelf by the side of my desk in the mancave. I did add more speakers including a bloody big sub-woofer that can cause structural damage to the house 😀

charlie.farley

I have a 15 year old Project turntable which sounds good and was the cheapest in the range back then

I’m no audiophile but What HiFi magazine recommends this Project E turntable with 5 of their stars at £200 which won one of their Awards 2023

To mitigate vibrations you can purchase Acoustic Isolation Feet

I’m still using 2 rubber squash balls that I cut in half from my student days as domed dampened feet for my turntable

On another thread some folk recommended the PreSonus Eris E3.5 £100 monitor speakers which I have saved the link for a future HiFi project of mine

susepic

huge bunch of records in the loft inherited from my wifes mother which are collecting dust so will have pelnty to listen to initially

If they’re anything like my MIL’s collection, which i went through w my 17yr old (also thinking of getting into vinyl), you’ll have very little to listen to – unless you like 60’s burl ives and gilbert and sullivan.

From looking for desktop speakers (recent thread) there are some powered speakers that have a dedicated turntable input to make life easier (AudioEngine if i remember correctly)
    Richer Sounds had a couple of good deals on turntable w speakers/amp in Jan – worth taking a look at their offers

scud
    Free Member

My home office set up is a Rega RP1+ into Denon DM41DAB unit which also gives DAB, CD and bluetooth connection and Q Acoustics 3030i speakers, whole lot bought in good nick second hand for about £380 all in, gives a great sound too.

gravedigger
    Free Member

gives a great sound too

Great sound from DAB, how did you manage that?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 Once you get a streamer with internet radio, you realise just how compressed DAB sound is. I’ve had two Denon DM41s and both went pop. I went over to Yamaha receivers after that and not looked back.

Project are the biggest TT brand but I’d go Rega/UK if I was in the market.

I like the word ‘truntable‘ though. I think we should push for that to be a new word. Definitions anyone?

kayak23

Liking the little glimpse of a Subhumans gig poster up there sc-xc 👆 😊 👌

One you went to I presume?

Atomizer

Subhumans – From The Cradle to The Grave – one of my favourite albums!

One good reason to still have a record player.

sc-xc

One you went to I presume?

Yeah, I love Dick 😂

Always prefer Culture Shock live though…

kayak23

Yeah, I love Dick 😂

I’ve got his sweaty t-shirt from a Culture Shock gig, I can’t remember when.
    Eeewww. (I washed it)

brownperson
    Free Member

A HiFi thread – Hobnob anyone!!?

Your biscuits are safe- this is a thread about record players, not Hi-Fi. 😉

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’d want it to fit on top of some drawers 72cm wide 48cm deep

Could sir could replace the drawers with a state of the art radiogram?

andylaightscat
    Free Member

have a look at the Rega Eco range or google Rega open box returns

eatmorepizza
    Free Member

Thanks for the reccomendations all, in the end I went to a local record shop and had a good chat with the owner, we also scoured ebay used and facebook marketplace for some good deals and gave me an idea of what to look for. In the end, due to my budget and wanting something easy and fuss free whilst I build a vinyl collection/learn more he recommended me through gritted teeth the House of Marley stir it up turntable and get together duo speakers which as a package were on sale for £270 whilst making me promise to atleast upgrade the cartridge asap and showed me how to do it lol

There was also talk of promising to never play anything rare on it and upgrade to a Rega and a dedicated seperate pre-amp and bookshelf speakers which he will help with me as soon am I’m ready to lol, he also knocked 15 quid off the bunch of records I bought.

The kit arrived on Tuesday, I ignored a lot of the suggested instructions and listened to what he said after helping some others set them up in the past with counterweight set at 2 and anti skid set at 0.5 and its been fine, the audio quality isn’t anything jaw dropping but is pretty good for the price paid, no real complaints there. Mrs is already quite keen to get a system for the living room at somepoint this year so will probably end up keeping the cheaper one for the office and get a better set up for the living room, also got an audio technica AT-VM95E cartridge on the way.

tall_martin

Cheapest one you can find second hand?

It will amplify the scratchiness? 😉

brownperson
    Free Member

So you completely ignored advice on here and bought something anyway? Love it! 🤣

In fairness, that Marley turntable won’t be any worse than anything else at that price point. With vinyl, you’ll have to pay a substantial amount more to hear any real improvement in sound quality. But then you could spend many thousands and still have audio inferior to MP3. As I mentioned in another thread; the value in vinyl is in many older recordings which simply aren’t available in any other superior format. A lot of older Reggae, Ska and Rocksteady type stuff was never produced in any digital form, and many old master tapes have long since been lost to the mists of time, so you’ll never get any new masterings of those. But you can still enjoy them now; plenty of 7″ records are available relatively cheaply, so you can still enjoy the music.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.