Recommend me a rear mount bike carrier

Home Forum Bike Forum Recommend me a rear mount bike carrier

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Recommend me a rear mount bike carrier
  • wilbo

Currently looking at buying the Saris Bones but it is quite expensive. Are there any cheaper alternatives, such as the Saris Sentinal? Or does the Saris Bones justify its price with quality.

I had a three bike bones, and thought it was great. You have to buy adaptors for cars with certain rear windows. so factor that into the cost.

I now have a pendle and think that is just as good and pretty sure its a little cheaper.

wilbo

Hoping to use it on a fiesta hatchback and a subaru impreza (doesnt have the huge spoiler!) if that helps any suggestions

skeetsgb

i have the saris bones 3, cost me about 110 quid, comes with a lifetime gaurentee. really good quality, wont rust, easy to put up and off. fiesta will be fine, not sure about the subaru, cant remember what back end looks like tbh lol.

but yep, they are worth the money ( the 3 comes in about 6/colours as well)

skeetsgb

okay wilbo just looked on scoobynet forums and someone sold a saris bones 3 on there and says if its a spoiler scooby it WONT FIT ! link below for you.

http://bbs.scoobynet.com/wales-26/803746-for-sale-saris-bones-3-bike-rack.html

wilbo

skeetsgb, thanks for that, i had searched SN hoping to find out that info but couldnt! It will mainly be used on the fiesta but would prefer to have the option of both so back to searching, may consider the Thule 9104

Premier Icon kiwijohn
    Subscriber

I’ve got the Thule 9103 or 4 on my 06 Fiesta. Very good rack, easy to fit & solid with no flimsy straps.
    You still open the hatch with it on as well, even loaded with 2 bikes if someone holds it.

wilbo

My fiesta is an 05 but I think its the same shape. Does the Thule cause any issues with rubbing? The shape of it, and similar high carriers, makes it look like the bar rests on top of the bumper which I was worried could dent over time when fully loaded with 3 bikes.

Premier Icon kiwijohn
    Subscriber

Doesn’t touch the bumper. I’ve put helicopter tape on the hatch where it clips on. You can even still use the wiper.
    It’s on the car at the mo if you want some pics in the morning (my time)

Scamper

Went for a Saris Bones 2 recently and impressed so far – good quality. Took a while to trust all those straps, mind.

Premier Icon uberscott
    Subscriber

I’ve got a Saris Bones 3 that I’ll be putting up for sale – you’re welcome to try it out on your Fiesta. I’m in Berkshire as well 🙂

wilbo

uberscott, how much will you be selling it for?

Premier Icon CHB
    Subscriber

I have a Hollywood F10:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7281

Yours for £60 delivered from Leeds with an extra ratchet strap to double secure it. Lightly used.

I now have a Thule G5 towbar rack so have no need for the F10.

Premier Icon uberscott
    Subscriber

£65 takes it 🙂

I also have the Saris ‘hatch huggers’ – for boots with a glass hinge. Not sure if that applies to either your Fiesta or Impreza mind you:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/saris-rack-accessories-hatch-huggers-id67065.html

wilbo

Scott, just sent you an email.

Premier Icon sprocker
    Subscriber

I bought a bones and had to take it back as I could not get my heckler or mates enduro on it, got a pendle which is a bit more crude to look at, but is cheap, versatile and solid.

wilbo

I have a Scott Scale and a Giant Defy so dont think I should have any issues as both of these are fairly usual shaped bikes

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a rear mount bike carrier’ is closed to new replies.