Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Recommend me a pump for my darkside bike please
  • Recycler
    Free Member

Hello all

I’m looking for a small, light, reliable pump to fit to my road bike. Not very impressed with my current Spesh offering which seems to let more air out than in!

Just looking for something to ‘get me home’ as I have a track pump for my main inflating duties.

Thanks very much in anticipation

theflatboy
    Free Member

I got a Lezyne Pressure Drive the other week for about £23. It’s flipping brilliant. Tiny, light, beautifully made and pumps very nicely with a little hose and good pressure. Recommended.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

What theflatboy said, got one of these too and its chuffing excellent. The hose is a real blast from the past and stops you bending valves when giving it the beans when the pressure is high.

Rockplough
    Free Member

In all seriousness…

Lighter and smaller than any conventional pump and works brilliantly.

Recycler
    Free Member

Thanks very much so far, hadn’t considered the CO2 option.

Anymore recommendations or endorsements?

peteimpreza

“Lighter and smaller than any conventional pump and works brilliantly.”

Until you run out of gas.

gary

Lezyne all the way here – after years of various different shonky mini pumps the Lezyne ones are awesome.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Another vote for the CO2 canisters. The Genuine Innovation ones seem pretty good (although I haven’t had to use it yet…). I bought one because I’m too lazy to try and get a rod tyre up to 110psi.

Two live in my saddle bag (yes I know, I know). And an extra one or two go in the back of my jersey for longer rides. Simples.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Leyzene +1 great little pumps

Philby

I have a Topeak Pocket Rocket which has performed admirably when needed – fits on a bracket by the bottle cage.

ransos
    Free Member

The Lezyne is the only small pump I’ve used that can get a really good pressure in road tyres. The only problem with mine is it’s developed a slight rattle when it’s in its mount. I’ve solved it by sticking a strip of insulation tape where the pump handle meets the body.

ska-49
    Free Member

Those running the Lezyne- any one using the small? I see they are either small or medium. Would be good to hear how well the small performs.

TimCotic
    Free Member

Pussy Pump with transparent plastic cup gets my darkside working just fine!

theflatboy
    Free Member

Mine is a small. Gets decent pressure no problems.

According to reviews it will go to 100+ but I haven’t bothered to try getting that high yet. It definitely gets well over 60ish without trying too hard, which is fine by me for an emergency roadside pump.

FuzzyWuzzy

I use a Topeak Road Morph on the winter bike as don’t mind a frame-mounted pump but for the summer bike I just carry a Lezyne Pressure Drive in my jersey pocket. I do carry CO2 for sportives as I’ll usually be riding with others and don’t want to hold them up any longer than possible but for training I prefer having a pump safe in the knowledge I won’t be screwed if I have multiple punctures – I know a few people that use hybrid pumps/co2 and seem happy with them but they all seem to be frame-mounted which I don’t want.

mickolas
    Free Member

got a cheapo airwave one from crc 9 years ago. thought “that won’t last two minutes”…it’s fine up to about 90 psi. take it on road and off, all seasons. takes time to fill a 2.4” tyre but is very, very light.

got a topeak road morph last year. found it didn’t weather as well. gets up to high pressures no probs but the guage is a bit hit and miss, give me blisters if I haveto inflate more than once (boo-hoo), and is starting to feel very rough.

EDIT the airwave ‘oxygen’: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=42200

Recycler
    Free Member

Thanks very much everyone – great information

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a pump for my darkside bike please’ is closed to new replies.