Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Recommend me a pub for a weekend away
  • alwillis

Not for me sadly- for the in-laws.

Needs:
    – dog friendly
    – within 2-3 hours of Dorset (Dorchester)
    – easy walking, possibly coastline to explore
    – a nice town/city/village to explore nearby

Thanks in advance!

tthew

Ah, was going to suggest the Tower Bank Arms in Sauwrey, Lake District but fails on point 2.

TiRed

3 hours won’t get you to The Ship at Dunwich, but you should go anyway. Ticks every other box. You will love it and won’t regret the extra two hours (one each way). Excellent walking and very dog friendly.

https://www.shipatdunwich.co.uk/sandy-paws-stay

dropoff

Top Ship Porlock, lovely old coaching Inn, fab village. https://www.shipinnporlock.co.uk/

jimdubleyou

Bath Arms, Horningsham.

Think it’s dog friendly, but never had to check.

CountZero

The Cricket Inn, Beesands, in Start Bay. Lovely rooms, outstanding food, you can look out of your room, providing it’s a front-facing one, and see where the crab and scallops come from, and see the fishing boats from Brixham sailing past. You’re directly on the South-west Coast path, and if you watched the recent Michael Portillo series, he walked the stretch from Start Point to Blackpool Sands, and walked past the Cricket Inn.
    There’s a good, if strenuous walk from Beesands along past Hallsands, where you can see the remains of the original village that was destroyed in a storm in 1917, then up onto Start Point – you can visit the lighthouse, but it’s only open up to the end of September – then you can carry on past Lannacombe Bay to East Prawle, and stop off at the Pig’s Nose pub, then there’s a route back overland which takes you back towards Lannacombe Bay and up a narrow road to Hollowcombe where at the crossroads you go straight across into the lane dropping back down to Hallsands, then back along the path to Beesands. Also you can walk over the top towards Torcross, and Slapton Sands, where there’s a Sherman tank that was retrieved from the bay, after a disaster during the build-up to D-Day when German E-Boats by chance came across the Americans training during Operation Tiger. Between 700-900 troops were killed.
    It’s possible, just, to walk along the beach, but observance of tide times is absolutely crucial, the last points between Beesands and Torcross , Dun Point, Limpet Rocks and Torcross Point, have a lot less beach available now, due to longshore drift of the shingle, and you have approximately a five minute window of opportunity, which usually involves a mad scramble across the rocks, and they can be slippery. I know, because I’ve done it, and it’s a bit iffy.
    Beautiful country, Kate Bush has a house along from Lannacombe Bay, and Damon Albarn has a house and studio above Hallsands. I’ve got friends who have a house at Hollowcombe, who I’ve stayed with in the past, I’ve stayed at the pub several times, and there’s a little camping spot above Beesands, between there and Beeson, called Sugar Park Campsite, which costs £10/night, money in an honesty box. Great views across towards Dartmouth.
    I love it down there, beautiful countryside, great food, masses of history, especially Hallsands and the sisters who built the hotel above the old village.

llama

Home

Not coastal, but easy walks, twee (edit: posh, not twee) village, close to Winchester

p7eaven
    Free Member

The Rising Sun, Lynmouth. Right on the harbour. Amazing coastal walks. Lynton/Valley of Rocks, Watersmeet, Porlock Weir all nearby and Exmoor coombes are stunning any time of year.

tthew

That was a lengthy recommendation from the Count, especially in 5 sentences! I reckon he’s quite taken with the Cricket Inn. 😁

Rockape63
    Free Member

That was a lengthy recommendation from the Count, especially in 5 sentences! I reckon he’s quite taken with the Cricket Inn. 😁

Haha, yeah….its sounds so good, I was considering going myself!

(if only on the off chance of bumping into Kate Bush!)

DavidB
    Free Member

@countzero I live in Brixham and you’ve tempted me 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.