• This topic has 35 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by wl.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Recommend me a nice bottle of Rum
  • rocco

Looking for a nice reasonable price bottle of dark rum to give my best man, any recommendations?

rj2dj
    Free Member

Plantation Barbados Rum 2000 was thoroughly enjoyed by a friend who likes dark rum. I imagine the 2001 would also be a good choice, but seeing as I don’t drink dark rum you may be better off waiting for others to reply!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’ve recently had:
    Ron Zacapa
    Diplomatico
    Angostura 1919

All were very good! About the £30-40 mark

dexa

Ron Zacapa is the DBs

coolhandluke
    Free Member

+1 for Ron Zacapa (23 yr old Guatemalan Rum)

Its usually IRO £50, bigger Tesco stores stock it. its worth every penny by the way

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mount Gay XO
    Chairman’s Reserve

thebrowndog
    Free Member

I dont know what good rum to recommend but avoid this: Bundaberg. The sweet sticky humid taste of northern Queensland. Bundy and coke was the tipple of choice for my generation and I suspect nothing has changed in 40 years. Horrid stuff.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Just finished off a bottle of Kraken. Very very nice…..

craigxxl
    Free Member

Ron Zacapa is always nice. Ron Jeremy which once you past the jokes is also very nice as well the novelty factor.

ourmaninthenorth

Ron Zacapa
    Diplomatico
    Angostura 1919

I’m nearing the end of a bottle of the Angostura. Very nice, but definitely a golden rum.

By dark, these days a good starting place is Kraken. Which is very nice. You might also want to consider Gosling’s Black Seal (and if a bit nuts, the 151 proof/75% alcohol version…).

I don;t know the Diplomatico that Younguitarhero has recommended, though I do know they do a Reserva Exclusiva version, which could be very nice….

More here: https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/C-339.aspx

cloudnine
    Free Member

Anyone tried Appletons Estate??

redstripe
    Free Member

Not dark and a bit girly so I’m told but I like it – Captain Morgan’s Spiced Gold, followed by red stripe beer and ska music, can’t go wrong

vorlich
    Free Member

Love Appleton, very distinctive flavour…I prefer the cheap stuff to the VX though.

rocco

Ron Zacapa seems to be popular as does Appletons 12 year old. About £10 difference in price, any opinions on which to get? Ideally id like it in a nice gift box but not essential

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ron Zacapa seems to be popular as does Appletons 12 year old. About £10 difference in price, any opinions on which to get? Ideally id like it in a nice gift box but not essential

Simple;

tmb467
    Free Member

Always love a bottle of Cacique – Venezuelan rum

Cacique 500 was sublime. Not sure if it was a special edition but it went down more smoothly than… <insert euphemism here>

scandal42
    Free Member

Flor de Cana – job done

Kryton57

Mount Gay XO
    Chairman’s Reserve

+1 Ive just found out my holiday destination includes Chairmans reserve in the all inclusive…. 😀

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Legendario is a good sipping liquor.

Plantation and diplimatico are also delicious.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good call, Kryton! North West coast, by any chance?

Kryton57

Coconut bay.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Really short transfer, then? 🙂

Enjoy it, you lucky sod!

Pondering taking the family back to the source of English Harbour this year. The source of Mount Gay is maddeningly expensive. Ludicrously so, actually.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva is staggeringly nice.

bellys
    Free Member

Kraken Black rum or Jamaican Blackwell.

Kryton57

Nice. Yes, it’s so close I’m considering changing into my shorts before the landing. 14 days of bliss, can’t wait….

rocco

Thanks for all the suggestions, went for a nice bottle of Mount Gay XO, hope he enjoys it 😀

squirrelking
    Free Member

I have £70 worth of smash ready to cash in for booze, will be giving some of those a look.

Currently on the vapours of a bottle of Pampero Anniversario, missus bought me it on a whim in Rome airport for €18 several years back, can see why it easily sells for more than twice that 🙁

Kryton57

rocco – Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions, went for a nice bottle of Mount Gay XO, hope he enjoys it

As long as he doesn’t mix it. I like mine served as a double with a single ice cube.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As long as he doesn’t mix it. I like mine served as a double with a single ice cube.

^^This^^

Nearly……

Triple, with two or three large ice cubes. 😀

sierrakilo
    Free Member

Big hit in Barbados……..

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Chairman’s Reserve is my favorite. apparently its available in some Waitrose’s but ive only ever found it in John Lewis.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Chairman’s Reserve is my favorite. apparently its available in some Waitrose’s but ive only ever found it in John Lewis.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

wtf

binners

wl
    Free Member

+1 Flor de Cana (although I’d be interested to hear from others how it compares flavour-wise to different rums mentioned in this thread).

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a nice bottle of Rum’ is closed to new replies.