Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recommend me a new router
  • Bimbler
    Free Member

no not the woodworking type you sillies the wi-fi type.

Sick of my “G” spec router’s slow speeds and frequent dropouts, so can anyone recommend me a decent router (to be used with Virgin broadband) and a different question do I need Gigabit ports – does it really matter in a domestic environment?

Budget up to £70ish

wwaswas

[advert]

I’ve got one of these. Used to use it with Virgin but got a virgin superhub now so surplus to requirements. £20 posted?

http://www.netgear.co.uk/service-provider/products/routers-and-gateways/fast-ethernet-routers-gateways/WNR2000.aspx#

[/advert]

Bimbler
    Free Member

Thanks wwaswas but looking for something more of step up really.

Do you get on with the superhub, mine is worse than the Netgear ????#G router it was meant to replace so I modemed the superhub and still use my old router.

Flaperon

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/wirelessrouters/high-performance/WNDR3700.aspx

I have one of these after trying about 4 of the bloody things.

Totally reliable and a doddle to set up. On special offer from PC World from time to time as well. It can handle both ADSL and cable connections.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I use a TPLink router with my Virgin Superhub router. You could always call Virgin and complain the router keeps dropping it’s connection and they’ll probably send you the Superhub router. Mine was one of the early Superhubs and was useless for wireless but I think they’re much better now.

wwaswas

Superhub has been fine since the latest update – was just using it as a Modem prior to that point. Now using it wired and wireless and it’s fine.

CaptainSlow

Recommend either the N300 or N600 Netgear router – reliable connections, does everything the average user would need and more.
    I do a lot of voip through my WNDR3700 (I think its that one) and get very few complaints over clipping, connected from either a Lenovo or MBP on 5GHz. 2.4Ghz seem to works well for streaming music through Airport Express.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Superhub has been fine since the latest update – was just using it as a Modem prior to that point. Now using it wired and wireless and it’s fine.

Interesting I’ll give it a go in superhub mode, does the R37 firmware fix the pathetic range? I’ve updated and it hasn’t crashed in modem mode since which is an improvement.

spacemonkey

Billion Bipac 7800n for a few more quid but it’s bullet proof.

wwaswas

Bimbler – my son uses it for xbox in the loft conversion so he’s 30ft away through 2 floors and he’s not complained.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Billion Bipac 7800n for a few more quid but it’s bullet proof.

I did fancy one of those but beyond my budget.

Bought the Netgear N600 from PC World Outlet. Set it up last night – thought it would be plug and play-ish but it was a wee bit of a faff, used the wizard and it inexplicably couldn’t find the internet connection. Finally found a way out of the wizard and using the default settings it worked.

Couldn’t be happier with the performance, using my old Netgear G router on my virgin 30 Mb connection I got 15Mbit right next to the router, 6 Mb next door in my bedroom and 2.5Mb in my front room. With the new router I got 30Mb next to router, 30Mb in bedroom and 30Mb in front room.

Apols for incredibly boring post.

craigxxl
    Free Member

That performance isn’t brilliant. With my TPlink router I am getting no less than 15mb even at the bottom of the garden some 15mtrs from the router upstairs. If you can try a different position for the router so the signal passes through less walls you may get a more even speed throughout the house.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Just to look at this from another angle, you could switch off the wireless on your current router and install a better wireless base station (which could be right next to the router and connected by short Cat5 cable).
    I’ve just put in a version 3 Apple airport Extreme (£50 delivered from eBay) which does simultaneous dual band wireless, 4 x gigbit ports and you can plug printers and/or USB drives in and they become available on the wireless network. Easy to extend your wireless network as well with an airport express should you need it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Immagonna invent an Internet router that’s moulded to look like a woodworking router.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Sorry I obviously didn’t make myself clear, with new router I have max speed everywhere in my house – 30Mb next to router and 30Mb at the furthest point away in my house – 4 walls/a floor away.

I’ve just put in a version 3 Apple airport Extreme (£50 delivered from eBay) which does simultaneous dual band wireless, 4 x gigbit ports and you can plug printers and/or USB drives in and they become available on the wireless network

N600 (in fact most non basic routers do it these days, couple of hours internetz research and I’m an expert) does all this except the ports which are 100Mbit, £50 is a great price for the spec though.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Rescind my recommendation for the Netgear, appears borked in 2.4Ghz mode, wired side works fine as does the 5 Ghz side but no worky on any channel in 2.4 Ghz range :sigh:

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a new router’ is closed to new replies.