Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Recommend me a new pack
  • ChuckMorris
    Free Member

I’m currently using a 20 litre Karrimor back pack with a 2 litre Camelbak bladder which is far too overkill for shorter rides.

I’m after something smaller that will carry pump, tube, levers, keys, phone.

Any recommendations?

simon1975

Tesco:
    http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-hydration-rucksack-6l-black-red/100-0611.prd?recommendationId=609ad600-efe0-4031-bc88-412d6c165b6c.0&skuId=100-0611

Sometimes they’re half price in the shop. Perfect for what you want – has chest and waist straps too for riding.

dantsw13

I use an osprey – love it to bits.

MSP

Osprey viper 4.

I find osprey packs streets ahead of anything else I have tried for comfort and being lightweight.

wwaswas

just took delivery of an Osprey raptor 10.

Evans managed to send it sans bite valve but it looks jolly nice.

100mphplus
    Free Member

Concur with above ^ have a look at the Osprey packs, quality kit.

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Yeah I like the look of the Osprey packs.

Stuck between the Viper 7 and Viper 10.

rudedog
    Free Member

Another happy osprey user here although mine is an 18L version.

jam-bo

I use a dakine session. carries the essentials and barely noticable on.

organic355
    Free Member

I was about to stick this on the classifieds when i got round to it.

Any use? Its in good nick, but no bladder. Camelback MULE.

transapp
    Free Member

loving the look of the new camelbak charge lr.

Hip level bladder and then room for bits if you want it.

fathomer

I must be the only person not to like the Osprey I tried, had a Raptor 10 from CRC, sent back last week, felt like stuff would be difficult to get at and I thought it was pretty heavy compared to my old Blowfish? Going to try an Ergon BX2 I think.

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

I use a dakine session. carries the essentials and barely noticable on.

What are the bladders like on the Dakine’s?

I was about to stick this on the classifieds when i got round to it.

Any use? Its in good nick, but no bladder. Camelback MULE.

Thanks for the offer but I need a new bladder as well.

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Yeah I like the look of the Osprey packs.

Stuck between the Viper 7 and Viper 10.

I’m thinking Viper 4 might even be enough.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

I’ve got a Dakine drafter from about 4 years ago…..bite valve on it aint much cop, leaks a bit and got a little cut in it; maybe I bite too hard!

Looks far cooler than camelbaks and the others IMO

supercarp

I use a wingnut pack, keeps the weight nice and low and is really light but strong as made from sail material. Doesn’t come with a bladder which is no bad thing as you can use your old one or buy which ever brand you prefer.

Got mine from roughrideguide.co.uk

transapp
    Free Member

Just to add, have just received wiggle email with a bit of a sale on camelbaks. Might be worth checking out (some are actually latest models therefore an actual sale!)

llamaknob
    Free Member

2nd on the camelback mule,top quality and a fare bit of room too.ive tryed a tesco cheapo, be carefull the’re aint enough room for water food and jacket and if ya over fill em the unsides rip apart, avoid.

redfordrider
    Free Member

I use a Camelbak Octane 18x – it’s light and can be expanded from 13 lt to 18 lt when needed. Comes with a 2 lt bladder.

rOcKeTdOg

lose the back pack (personally i hate ’em) and get a niche handbag, carries all the things you need for shorter rides with ease

Singular Swift by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

PaulD
    Free Member

Deuter Speed-Lite 10 in yellow.

PaulD

tk46hal
    Free Member

I’d go the other way! Pack up a 60 litre back pad with stones etc and ride it for a month, and you’ll become one mean power house and will leave everyone behind! 😉

vondally
    Free Member

in order that has worked for me with 3 prolapsed discs in my neck

ergon bd1 simply the best
    osprey raptor 10 the talon 22 failed big time one of the most uncomfortable bags ever………….eldest daughter loves it
    wingnut hyper 2.5

worst camelbacks terrible too high
    hydrapack packs

if i ever ride again agree with rocket dog it may be the way forward

Shorty121
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg you at the CRC marathon? saw you on the road section pedalling like mad

RustySpanner

These

are excellent.

£16.99 from Decathlon – bladder included.

Special bonus feature is that you don’t feel like a total knob for having spent £60.00 on a small cycling pack.

rOcKeTdOg

Shorty121 – Member

rOcKeTdOg you at the CRC marathon? saw you on the road section pedalling like mad

not me chap

Taff
    Free Member

£60 subscription to MBR and get the Lezyne bag?

llamaknob
    Free Member

You sound a little bitter to me rusty….tut..tut..if you ask nicely at your local bike shop you can get two receipts one for you and one for the wife,you can spend what you like then.

RustySpanner

Not bitter, just tight 😀

And a bit annoyed at wasting a lot of cash over the years on expensive backpacks.

The Decathlon one above is excellent, as is the Alpkit Gourdon I use too.

Neither cost more than £20.00 and both are better than the pricey ones I used to buy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m after something smaller that will carry pump, tube, levers, keys, phone.

I’ve got 2 rucksacks, a tiny camelpack one which litteraly holds a helmet lamp battery a litre of water and the stuff you describe. A bigger lezyne one, which is OK but I don’t really like, it was cheep though and holds a lot of water + food + gear for all day rides. but for short rides you cant beat a jersey and a bottle on the frame. Soo much nicer. Even for slightly longer rides I only suplement it with a 0.2l saddle bag to take the CO2, tube, levers, patches, chain links, and multitool so I can keep a gillet and wallet/phone/key in the jersey for even less weight.

stewartc
    Free Member

Osprey Raptor 10, great bladder and enough space for a days riding.

Milkie
    Free Member

Had a MULE which I thought was great, until I tried the Osprey Raptor. Raptor is much more comfortable when the bladder is full, and a lot of great features.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Used a variety of packs, including Camebak, Dakine and Deuter, and I still go back to my Wingnut – in terms of gimmick-free, functional, ergonomic design it’s the best I’ve used by a country mile. Otherwise I’d personally go Dakine again, or Osprey.

Other half has an Osprey Raptor 10 – very nice piece of kit, albeit one supplied with a punctured reservoir.

solman
    Free Member

the Osprey Zealot with the removable tool pouch looks nice

Osprey Zealot

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a new pack’ is closed to new replies.