Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Recommend me a new job
  • mjsmke

Really done with teaching. Too much stress and responsibility. The problem is, I have no idea what to apply for. I need at least 30k and don’t have much time to train unpaid.

Things I’m good at and enjoy:
    Outdoorsy things
    Organised
    Independent
    Creative
    Fitness related stuff
    Learn software quickly
    Problem solving
    3D Modelling
    Photography and editing
    Video editing

Things I’m not good at and don’t want to do:
    Long written tasks
    Presentations
    Meeting lots of new people
    Moving heavy stuff
    Travelling
    Putting on a fake happy face
    Dealing with pushy loud people
    Managing people

I’ll probably contact a recruitment agency but need a starting point.

kilo

Creative
    Fitness related stuff
    Learn software quickly
    Problem solving
    3D Modelling
    Photography and editing
    Video editing

Fluffer?

anagallis_arvensis

Really done with teaching. Too much stress and responsibility.

Have you tried being just a teacher with no extra responsibility?

Also for 30k you could be a part time teacher?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dc1988

Have a look at your local council job vacancies, you’ll likely find a wide range of jobs that could give you some ideas.

paton
    Free Member
    paton
    Free Member
    Klunk
    Free Member

computer game artist.

Kato

Come to the railway

I’ve recently left the Police to be a train driver.  Already a much happier place to work

mjsmke

Have you tried being just a teacher with no extra responsibility?

Also for 30k you could be a part time teacher?

Where? If I go down to 4 days I’d be on about 27k. With the same number of students to deal with.

Kuco

We have someone leaving us next week to go to Network Rail to train to be a signaller. 30k while training then more once trained.

joebristol

MOD are meant to be a good employer and seem to be taking on loads of people to do project management type jobs in Bristol. They’re actually saying they don’t massively want people to even be in the office – someone I know has just got a job there and have basically been told to work from home full time – so location might not even be an issue.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Really done with teaching. Too much stress and responsibility.

Which is why my stepdaughter left teaching in schools & set up her own online teaching business. She’s loving it & doing really well.
    Stepson’s a train driver with Freightliner, he doesn’t ‘love’ it but he does love the £’s.
    It’s a very independant role with minimal interaction & a bit outdoorsy, not that you move move much. He just trundles along at 45mph.

lunge

Mrs Lunge left teaching after 10 years and struggled to find anything at even approaching the same level of pay.
    She ended up retraining as a pharmacy technician, she loves it but the pay isn’t great.

florix
    Free Member

I’d try to find something that’s teaching adjacent if possible. You’ve got plenty of skills and experience that could be applied and it seems like the pay/benefits may be hard to match with a career switch at this point.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Anyone got ideas for a 20kV Senior Authorised Person? Don’t mind doing the same job elsewhere but I’m an active outdoor person and really not well suited to pushing paper.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

What lunge said. Teachers are actually paid pretty well in relation to other jobs. I left after 10 years on UPS and as a HoD. I took a 1/3 off my salary to change career.
    Check out the county council site for jobs and perhaps take a hit on your salary for a job that doesn’t pay great but gives you that extra time to retrain or study. It gave me breathing space and time to think about what I wanted to do. I ended up doing my PRINCE2 and now project manage at the council in adult education.
    Good luck. It’s tough leaving teaching but there is a life after it. I thought I’d miss the holidays…I don’t as I don’t need them, I don’t always finish term burnt out and exhausted. If you want to chat about it all, you’re welcome to message me.

espressoal
    Free Member

I just paid an electrician £800 for 2 days work, and a plumber £470 for 3 holes and some pipe, not quite the heady heights of joiner level at 2.5k a week but if it were about the money I’d consider a trade.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Where are you.

Wife’s school is looking for a teacher of wider achievement.

(Think duke of Edinburgh /John muir trust /interdisciplinary learning)

Looking at your skill set something similar with the change of subject to something complimenting your interests (outdoor and fitness)with your Skillset(teaching) rather than trying to start again.

Anyone got ideas for a 20kV Senior Authorised Person? Don’t mind doing the same job elsewhere but I’m an active outdoor person and really not well suited to pushing paper.

Do you not get out to site to actively do switching/isolations, or is it just permit issuing?

coconut
    Free Member

Railways, train up as a COSS, PICOP or Engieering Supervisor. You could then pick your own shifts, loads of regular work, outdoors and can be well paid.

Wally

Change school and position.
    I have been in your shoes

Onzadog
    Free Member

Do you not get out to site to actively do switching/isolations, or is it just permit issuing?

Used to be very operational. No idea why but for the last two years, virtually everyone has been chained to a desk, very occasionally let out to play.

Issuing safety documents to my mind would count as operational. When I say paper pushing, it’s admin/project management/streetworks etc.

mjsmke

Looking at your skill set something similar with the change of subject to something complimenting your interests (outdoor and fitness)with your Skillset(teaching) rather than trying to start again.

That could be good. The teaching part is fine with the students that actually want to learn, but there’s more each year that just don’t want to know. I’d much rather teach adults. Just no idea where to start.

couchy
    Free Member

I just paid an electrician £800 for 2 days work, and a plumber £470 for 3 holes and some pipe, not quite the heady heights of joiner level at 2.5k a week but if it were about the money I’d consider a trade.

Was that £800 labour plus materials and/or VAT ?

ampthill

Do look at what else is around

I feel guilty typing this. I shouldn’t i’m paid appropriately for what i do

I work in a sixth form college. I only teach alevel physics. I have 4 groups each for 4 and a half hours per week. I do one 45 minute support period per week. I get remission for being in the CPD team. I came from a job that was destroying me. I cried when i realised i didn’t have to teach naughty kids any more

It’s still knackering and demanding. I still have pressure over results. But on balance its a great life

Yesterday in a garage a blocke lept out of a huge BMW. In summary he said. Thanks for teaching me alevel physics john. I now run my own geotechnical services company

squirrelking
    Free Member

@onzadog tried network rail or utilities? One of our guys with HV walked out and into a better paying job on the railways.

As an aside how do you get into SAP? I was hoping to do the training at work but that all got canned as they started preparing to wind the site down. I have access to the regs and stuff but no real opportunity to do the practical side. I’m an APSP (Authorised Person Safety Precautions) if that means anything to the outside world. Basically I take documents from a SAP and apply isolations.

Onzadog
    Free Member

@squirrelking

I got my SAP by working of one of the regional DNOs. Funny thing is, each company has its own version of the rules and runs their own assesment for their network. However, they’re all based on the same principles so once you’re in, a read of a new companies safety rules should get you through the panel. The training was a pretty long process so I don’t imagine there’s many opportunities outside of the DNOs although some larger companies do put people forward for assessment. Usually at lower voltages though, more of the crafts side of things. If they need SAPs, they’re normally just poached.

I’m interested in all this talk of train driver. No great love of trains but my current job involves running complex interconnected process to a strick set of safety rules whilst being responsible for keeping those around me safe. Can’t imagine there’s a huge amount of daily paperwork getting in the way of doing the job once qualified.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Inverness Shunter sounds good! £34k while training.

https://uk.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=0d1845104f0eac6f&from=serp

steve-g
    Free Member

Do supply teaching through an agency. No need to re train, more flexibility, less planning stress etc

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’m interested in all this talk of train driver. No great love of trains

Well that’s a good start, the last thing rail companies want are train spotters!
    My stepson didn’t know the difference between a class 66 & Mallard when he went for his interview.

mjsmke

What is SAP?

Onzadog
    Free Member

SAP is a Senior Authorised Person. Someone who is responsible for ensuring the safety of themselves and others where high voltage electrical networks are involved.

franksinatra

I’d love to drive trains but rubbish colour sight has always prevented that, along with lots of other cool jobs. Its frustrating as I can very clearly see signals / traffic lights but rules are rulz.

rockhopperbike

@onzadog every thought of Shift operations in Energy from waste plants? – SAP/people/process/lots going on??

squirrelking
    Free Member

SAP is a Senior Authorised Person. Someone who is responsible for ensuring the safety of themselves and others where high voltage electrical networks are involved.

Any system really, it just depends on what authorisations you have.

Most of ours start on electrical and mechanical, HV is an additional competency because it’s a totally different ball game.

mjsmke

Could do that. As long as it doesn’t require a specific qualification.

poly
    Free Member

Which subject do you teach?

That could be good. The teaching part is fine with the students that actually want to learn, but there’s more each year that just don’t want to know. I’d much rather teach adults. Just no idea where to start.

Local college? I have a friend who teaches in one and whilst its not without its hassle she seems far less stressed than school teachers, has students who mostly chose to be their and do her subject, and (importantly!) doesn’t really deal with pushy/demanding parents. She finds it fairly rewarding as the students mostly go on to either university following the sort of subjects she was teaching them in or go into work using at least some of the stuff she taught.

Do supply teaching through an agency. No need to retrain, more flexibility, less planning stress etc

My mother did this for several years. She eventually went back to permanent teaching and hated it, but really quite enjoyed supply – expectations were low, other teachers were grateful they weren’t having to cover, moving round helped avoid the staff room politics, parents were happier there was a supply teacher rather than no one – even maternity cover supply was OK compared to “proper career teaching” stuff! I think tutoring is another option that can either complement supply or if you build up a reputation replace it – the hours are obviously not so good but the pupils’ commitment can be higher (not necessarily) and patents attitudes can be different, and prep is about the teaching rather than the BS.

mjsmke

Local college? 

That’s where I am now.

Do supply teaching through an agency. No need to retrain, more flexibility, less planning stress etc

A bit tricky with my subjects. Few and far between would mean unsecured income.

tthew

Could do that. As long as it doesn’t require a specific qualification.

You’d generally need a technical qualification in engineering or a related topic to join a utility company, or previous specific experience. SAP is an additional responsibility or a role you move into after being operational for a while. I don’t think Onzadog was suggesting it as an alternative career, more one he want’s out of!

I was a mechanical and LV SAP many moons ago. Decided to give it up when I moved off my operator role, didn’t think I would maintain the knowledge in that safety critical task if I wasn’t doing it regularly.

poly
    Free Member

Teachers are actually paid pretty well in relation to other jobs. I left after 10 years on UPS and as a HoD.

I’m not a teacher and I’ve got to say that doesn’t stack up for me. They may be better paid than low skilled jobs, or perhaps if you are assessing on some artificial model where they work 9-3 for only 40 weeks a year versus 8.30-5 48 weeks a year, but I’m really not convinced that they are “pretty well paid”. Perhaps the problem is people leaving teaching want to go to jobs where there’s no other politics/beurocracy/angry customers/tagets etc – it may be that those jobs are less well paid.

If teachers were well paid I’d seriously consider switching (I think I would really enjoy it, and have real world experience that would make theory easier for kids who have no desire to follow those subjects relate to), but it would involve me cutting my income substantially. I am well paid and carry a shit load of responsibility and beuarocracy to go with it, but even compared to the new staff I hire most would earn more than a teacher.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a new job’ is closed to new replies.