Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • recommend me a new Chromebook please
  • iainc

I have a 4 yr old basic Samsung 303C one, which has got pretty slow on Google Docs etc. I only really use it for docs (not work) and a bit of browsing. Also have an ipad mini which gets used a lot more, but rubbish for docs. Won’t be used by family as we are on Apple for most things, so light use only really.

No fussed about swivel and touch screen, but want decent speed, good keyboard, battery life and budget around £200, but happy if cheaper.

Stoner
    Free Member

have you tried a powerwash on the samsung?

it shouldnt really get any slower than originally built after a powerwash, although inevitable sofwtare memory creep over time might mean GSuite is getting a bit lardy for 1Gb chromebooks.

If youre sure you dotn want touchscreen (Its ace BTW) then PCWorld have 14″ Acer’s at reasonable price (w 2Gb RAM).

or this at John Lewis will be good. I like Asus over Acer personally
    https://www.johnlewis.com/asus-chromebook-c300sa-intel-celeron-2gb-ram-32gb-emmc-13-3-/p2985459?colour=Red/White

iainc

cheers Stoner – haven’t heard of powerwash, but will have a google now !

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes. This isn’t Windows XP. Slowdown is not inevitable.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I had a 2gb Acer R11 and I found it too slow, I think 4gb works better.

The OS might not cause slowdown, but websites are getting more complex, more adverts etc..

What about this.. Full HD, 4gb RAM
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acer-Chromebook-14-Inch-2-24GHz-Celeron-4GB-32GB-Chrome-OS-Laptop-Gold-/362001425910

zippykona

Can you use excel on any of these things?
    Our accounts are going online and we need something to talk to our accountants with.

Stoner
    Free Member

you do spreadsheet work in Google Sheets. You can open excel files and save excel files for emailing if you wish.

My business is financial modelling and I havent used Excel for nearly 10yrs.

You may find if your “accountants are going online” they may well have a descent web app so you dont need to use much in the way of sheets.

iainc

have powerwashed it and a bit better. Also found that Drive was set to edit offline, which I think was slowing it a bit.

Stoner, I have followed many of your posts on these over the past few years and know you know a lot about them from experience. What would you buy for my needs, ever if a bit pricier ?

Stoner
    Free Member

I only really use it for docs (not work) and a bit of browsing

your needs are modest. But for a slicker experience try and find something with 4Gb of RAM.

After that it’s all much of a muchness. I value portability so my laptop is the small Asus Flip. About 10″.

Im typing this on my 8Gb ChromeBox desktop with dual 22″ displays. Fantastic bit of kit.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Check Dell Outlet as well. For some reason, chromebooks are under business section.

I got a Dell Chromebook 13 (i3, 4gb) from there a while back. Fastest browser i’ve ever used, though it was around 300.

iainc

great info, thanks

iainc

Looking for 4gb ones in my price range, this one seems best option , though screen slightly smaller than ideal.

asus

Anything else I should look at before pressing the button ?

iainc

No one ?

Stoner
    Free Member

Missed this.
    I have that one and it’s a superb bit of kit. But it’s small. It serves my needs well but I also have a 2×22″ chromebox on the desk top and I wouldn’t want the flip book to be my only computer.

iainc

Thanks stoner, it’s not my main machine, just for casual use at home as have a proper laptop and docker at work. This will be surfing, banking, some word docs, simple sheets etc. The only thing putting me off really is the smallish screen. I have an iPad mini but really need a keyboard and a bit bigger viewing screen for my old eyes, for anything other than here and FB 😀

oldschool

Bought the flip about a week ago, based on a recommendation from one of the recent chromebook threads. It brilliant, yes the screen is small, but it’s great.

iainc

Great, will get it ordered, thanks all.

Stoner
    Free Member

Both of you don’t forget to install Google play store to get the most out if it with the android runtime.

iainc

Dunno what that means but will do !

theboyneeds
    Free Member

FWIW – I sent two Flips back as they had faulty screens before settling on my Acer R11. Slighly larger but it hasn’t missed a beat in about 3 months.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a new Chromebook please’ is closed to new replies.